Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:41 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,303,020 times

Advertisements

The ethnicity results lead to me discovering completely unknown African ancestry. I've narrowed it down somewhat where it comes from though haven't identified all of the two sources of it in my tree.

My grandmother's DNA results confirm Native American ancestry somewhere distantly up it.

Via matches, chromosome comparing etc I've made a lot of progress. Identify an ancestor of mine likely not only had a second, but a third family... having children with three women at the same time.

The matches and chromosome comparison on gedmatch is the most useful, though very very time consuming. Just like paper genealogy. It's simply another piece of data to correlate with a paper trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 06:08 AM

214 posts, read 154,393 times
My haplogroup is I2a2(most common among Serbs). I did not make autosomal test, but Serbs are quite similar among themselves. Average Dalmatian Serbs(my origin is from Dalmatia) autosomal DNA(Dodecat Ancestry Project k12b): North_European 40,86%, Atlantic_Med 27,87%, Caucasus 21,85%, Southwest_Asian 4,69%, Gedrosia 3,50%, Siberian 0,62%, East- Asian 0,50%, Northwest_African 0,07%.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:15 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Highest percent I've seen on YouTube DNA reveals is 92%. And the girl is from Michigan LOL. Most of the British DNA reveals are less than 25% Great Britain.
Mine was 55%, but that doesn't really mean anything. My northern European DNA is too commonly found in many regions to tell apart so while AncestryDNA gives me 55% for Great Britain, FTDNA gives me 0% for British Isles, 23andMe 17.2% for British & Irish, etc.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:24 PM

2,847 posts, read 4,518,215 times
i have a very distinct nose, tends to be most noticable in the females on my dad's side of the family. i was fully expecting to find some kind of africa link to explain the nose - not a single drop of african in my history. still searching for the nose origin.

hubby has been told his whole life that he is part native american & that he should sign up for benefits. dna showed ZIP ZERO NADA native american in his blood. glad i didn't bust my butt trying to prove he was!

Old 02-12-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
i have a very distinct nose, tends to be most noticable in the females on my dad's side of the family. i was fully expecting to find some kind of africa link to explain the nose - not a single drop of african in my history. still searching for the nose origin.
I'm not sure why so many people seem to think certain features can only be found in one area of the world when that is not normally the case.

Quote:
hubby has been told his whole life that he is part native american & that he should sign up for benefits. dna showed ZIP ZERO NADA native american in his blood. glad i didn't bust my butt trying to prove he was!
Many people with known, documented Native American ancestry don't get results for it on the DNA test. This is because most of the population clusters for the Native American DNA category come from Latin America, not the US/Canada. So many people with northern Native American heritage don't match the sample group, because there's not enough of a sample group from northern tribes to make an accurate comparison to. This is because most full blooded northern natives are generally unwilling to participate in DNA testing/sampling. So it is possible to have Native American heritage and have it not show up in the ethnicity report, which means a negative result for NA on the DNA test is not necessarily confirmation that one doesn't have any NA ancestry. 23andMe are more likely to identify it though, so if he tested with 23andMe then it might be more accurate.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:56 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times
I have to admit I was a little disappointed in my results: 57% Ireland; 30% Western Europe; 2 "larger" trace results (5% Iberia and 4% Britain); and a few smaller (1% or less) trace results (Scandinavia, Finland/NW Russia, Italy/Greece, Northern Africa).

My paper trail does point to a lot of Irish ancestors on both sides of the family, but my father's side in particular has shown many Scottish and English ancestors, as well. (It's interesting that both the Ireland and Britain groups in the Ancestry maps involve Scotland.) I have found some French and Dutch ancestors on my mother's side, but (so far) only going back several generations on one of several strands in her tree. Almost all of the other paper-trail ancestors on her side are descendants of Virginia settler stock of English ancestry (so I suppose that some more Western Europe and Ireland ancestors may be ultimately found in that group's ancestors).

I'm intrigued by the trace regions. I realize that this part of the genealogy is pretty iffy, but since I'm showing 4% Britain (and have verified British ancestors), I'm eager to pursue leads into possible Iberian ancestors.

I did trace (via two separate but intermarrying lines on my mother's side) ancestors from late medieval / early Renaissance Italy and France who found their way to the Tudor court in England, intermarried, and sent scions to North America (via Virginia). This is the Bassano/Lanier family line (it's been well documented). Even though the Laniers were Western Europeans (and account for part of the 30% WE figure), the <1% of my ancestry traced to Italy (so far) doesn't seem to match up, unless the Bassanos were Italians for only a short time (some accounts have them originating in Spain).

But that's just about the most exciting part of my paper trail, so far, and the Ancestry results pretty much reinforce the idea that my ancestry isn't terribly exotic. Oh well-- it is what it is.

I am strongly considering a test with 23andme to see if that can help me dig more deeply.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I'm sorry - I don't "get" why people are disappointed in their DNA results, unless some sort of DNA that points to a possible disease or disorder is present. Every single group of humans throughout history have fascinating elements to their stories.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm sorry - I don't "get" why people are disappointed in their DNA results, unless some sort of DNA that points to a possible disease or disorder is present. Every single group of humans throughout history have fascinating elements to their stories.
I think most people are disappointed when the results aren't as specific as they expected. Ancestry's commercials in particular seem to suggest (although they don't actually say that if you pay close attention) that you'll get country-specific results, when that is not the case. So people take the test expecting to get X% Scottish, X% German, but then they actually get X% Great Britain and X% Europe West and they feel misled.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
I have to admit I was a little disappointed in my results: 57% Ireland; 30% Western Europe; 2 "larger" trace results (5% Iberia and 4% Britain); and a few smaller (1% or less) trace results (Scandinavia, Finland/NW Russia, Italy/Greece, Northern Africa).

My paper trail does point to a lot of Irish ancestors on both sides of the family, but my father's side in particular has shown many Scottish and English ancestors, as well. (It's interesting that both the Ireland and Britain groups in the Ancestry maps involve Scotland.) I have found some French and Dutch ancestors on my mother's side, but (so far) only going back several generations on one of several strands in her tree. Almost all of the other paper-trail ancestors on her side are descendants of Virginia settler stock of English ancestry (so I suppose that some more Western Europe and Ireland ancestors may be ultimately found in that group's ancestors).

I'm intrigued by the trace regions. I realize that this part of the genealogy is pretty iffy, but since I'm showing 4% Britain (and have verified British ancestors), I'm eager to pursue leads into possible Iberian ancestors.

I did trace (via two separate but intermarrying lines on my mother's side) ancestors from late medieval / early Renaissance Italy and France who found their way to the Tudor court in England, intermarried, and sent scions to North America (via Virginia). This is the Bassano/Lanier family line (it's been well documented). Even though the Laniers were Western Europeans (and account for part of the 30% WE figure), the <1% of my ancestry traced to Italy (so far) doesn't seem to match up, unless the Bassanos were Italians for only a short time (some accounts have them originating in Spain).

But that's just about the most exciting part of my paper trail, so far, and the Ancestry results pretty much reinforce the idea that my ancestry isn't terribly exotic. Oh well-- it is what it is.

I am strongly considering a test with 23andme to see if that can help me dig more deeply.
I really wouldn't waste your time and money on another test just for the ethnicity results. No matter what company you test with, it's only ever going to be an estimate. And although 23andMe can be more accurate in some ways, they also have these "Broadly" categories that some people are disappointed with. If you have DNA which can't be narrowed down to a more specific region, they put it into a Broadly category, like "Broadly Northwest European" which basically includes all the subcategories of British & Irish, French & German, and Scandinavian. While they are actually being more honest and accurate by showing you X% of your DNA can't be narrowed down further because it's just too prevalent and found across half of Europe, many people are frustrated by that and disappointed to get such a vague result.

It's really best not to take the ethnicity reports very seriously - you can't really dig deeper because the results are never going to be as specific as you want them to be.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:40 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,527,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm not sure why so many people seem to think certain features can only be found in one area of the world when that is not normally the case.

Many people with known, documented Native American ancestry don't get results for it on the DNA test. This is because most of the population clusters for the Native American DNA category come from Latin America, not the US/Canada. So many people with northern Native American heritage don't match the sample group, because there's not enough of a sample group from northern tribes to make an accurate comparison to. This is because most full blooded northern natives are generally unwilling to participate in DNA testing/sampling. So it is possible to have Native American heritage and have it not show up in the ethnicity report, which means a negative result for NA on the DNA test is not necessarily confirmation that one doesn't have any NA ancestry. 23andMe are more likely to identify it though, so if he tested with 23andMe then it might be more accurate.
Really? Mine showed up fine in my & in my son's test results from AncestryDNA. Mine came in at just under 4% as the paper trail supports. It is from my greatgreatgreatgrandmother born in 1821 & married in Catholic ceremony to my French Canadian fur trader 3x greatgf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy