Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 PM

398 posts, read 993,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
The upper Midwest is as follows:

-Minnesota
-Wisconsin outside of Madison, Milwaukee, and the rest of the SE corner of the state
-UP Michigan
-The extreme eastern edge of South Dakota, including Sioux City
-The extreme eastern edge of North Dakota, including Fargo and Grand Forks
-The extreme northern edge of Iowa including Dubuque and Mason City could make a case

In no way is any part of Illinois, Southern Iowa, or the lower peninsula of Michigan part of the Upper Midwest, let alone Indiana or Ohio. Chicago is not in the upper midwest, milwaukee is not, des moines is not, detroit is not, and fort wayne, toledo, and cleveland definitely are not.
Your perception of what constitutes the upper Midwest is entirely Minnesota-centric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 10:49 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,846 times
That would make sense seeing how MN is the center of the Upper Midwest.

BTW, sorry on confusing Sioux city with Sioux Falls. My mistake and I fixed it. Dubuque is iffy; it technically lies farther south than SE Wisconsin but the culture there is much more similar to La Crosse and other typical Upper Midwestern cities than Madison and Milwaukee. Trust me, I went to college in Madison and there are big differences between Madison and the Twin Cities. Madison (and even moreso Milwaukee), are much more similar to lower Midwestern cities like Chicago, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Cleveland, etc.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:50 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
Your perception of what constitutes the upper Midwest is entirely Minnesota-centric.
You noticed that too. I'm just wondering how the extreme eastern edges of South Dakota and North Dakota qualify as upper Midwest, but evidently the rest of those two states must be lower Midwest?? I think someone is confused.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:57 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
What? No.
Sorry, but yes. Downstate IL is more like Indiana or Arkansas than it is like Chicago. Chicagoland looks and feels like WI, only with more people. Chicagoland is also a lot greener with more trees and water features than Downstate IL, very similar to Southern WI. Downstate IL also tends to be very conservative, whereas Chicago and WI tend to be on the more progressive side.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
LOL. That's funny, I noticed that too. All of the states he considers Upper Midwest just happen to touch MN.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:59 PM

398 posts, read 993,703 times
Quote:
That's how you see it because you live there.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:

BTW, sorry on confusing Sioux city with Sioux Falls. My mistake and I fixed it. Dubuque is iffy; it technically lies farther south than SE Wisconsin but the culture there is much more similar to La Crosse and other typical Upper Midwestern cities than Madison and Milwaukee. Trust me, I went to college in Madison and there are big differences between Madison and the Twin Cities. Madison (and even moreso Milwaukee), are much more similar to lower Midwestern cities like Chicago, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Cleveland, etc.
None of those are Lower Midwestern cities. WI is the center of the Upper Midwest since it's between MN and MI.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:02 PM

Upper and Lower Midwest are stupid delineations to begin with, I don't know why we're arguing about this. Great Lakes and Great Plains is a much better way to divvy up the region, although still not perfect.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
LOL. That's funny, I noticed that too. All of the states he considers Upper Midwest just happen to touch MN.
Yes, just like the UP!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 PM

I would say the cities I listed: Milwaukee, Chicago, Fort Wayne, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, and Akron are part of the rust belt region which isn't really part of the upper or lower midwest. It's kind of a middle ground. Cleveland and Detroit are not similar with Minneapolis (Upper Midwest) or Kansas City (lower Midwest). I think it's best the rust belt/great lakes area is it's own seperate, third midwestern region unlike both the upper and lower midwest.

We can divide the Midwest into four regions: Upper Midwest, Western Rust Belt, Lower Midwest, and Great Plains. All four have their own distinct accents. Upper Midwest has the Fargo accent, Rust Belt has the nasally Midwestern accent, Lower Midwest has a southern tinged accent, and the Great Plains have what is generally considered the generic standard American accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.