Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
I didn't read through this entire long thread so I don't know if it was mentioned, but Houston isn't part of the Deep South. It just really, really isn't. I grew up in the heart of East Texas, which can arguably be considered Deep South much more so than Houston, and moved to Southeast Texas later. Houston does have some Southern attributes and heritage, but it is not in the Deep South and I don't know any Houstonians who think it is. Culturally, East Texas and Southeast Texas--of which Houston IS a part-- share some similarities, but are overall different. Houston has long had too much outside influence-- including from transplanted Yankees, the Gulf Coast, Louisiana, Mexico, and Texas in general-- to be considered Deep South. And this isn't a recent phenomenon, but the whole story of its history, not just the parts people who claim it is Deep South are picking out and choosing. Houston Institute for Culture
I've got news for you...the Gulf Coast is solidly considered the "Deep South"...and according to your critieria, Atlanta wouldn't be part of it either.

I know the title "Deep South" brings with it a negative image, and your very passionate denial of Houston's inclusion is obviously connected to that negative perception - it reeks of embarrassment. I vote we find some other terminology to replace it...no one really wants to be part of it if the truth were known.

I suggested South East, South Central, and South West as the three divisions of the southern region...or the one I really like: Atlantic South, Gulf South, and Mountain South. I am also partial to the suggestion of a Piedmont South, but that really cuts up several states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 11:11 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I've got news for you...the Gulf Coast is solidly considered the "Deep South"...and according to your critieria, Atlanta wouldn't be part of it either.

I know the title "Deep South" brings with it a negative image, and your very passionate denial of Houston's inclusion is obviously connected to that negative perception - it reeks of embarrassment. I vote we find some other terminology to replace it...no one really wants to be part of it if the truth were known.

I suggested South East, South Central, and South West as the three divisions of the southern region...or the one I really like: Atlantic South, Gulf South, and Mountain South. I am also partial to the suggestion of a Piedmont South, but that really cuts up several states.
Just out of curiosity, Deacon, how would you group the various states into each of these classifications?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just out of curiosity, Deacon, how would you group the various states into each of these classifications?
Good question! In my opinion (of course), it would go something like this:

Atlantic South: Maryland, Virginia, NC, SC, Georgia, Florida

Gulf South: Florida panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas

Mountain South: Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky, and possibly the mountain areas of GA, AL, NC, and VA

Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Good question! In my opinion (of course), it would go something like this:

Atlantic South: Maryland, Virginia, NC, SC, Georgia, Florida

Gulf South: Florida panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas

Mountain South: Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky, and possibly the mountain areas of GA, AL, NC, and VA
Ok, kewl! I was just wondering!

You also mentioned a three-way division between Southeast, South Central and Southwest as per the "southern region"...which I take is not to be confused with "the South" per se. That is to say, rather, the southern tier of states between the Atlantic and Pacific (generally, the "Sunbelt"). Something like:

Southeast: Virginia, Kentucky, the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Tennesee, Alabama and Mississippi.

South Central: Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma

Southwest: New Mexico, Arizona, S. California

Along those lines, maybe..?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:49 AM

I would do it like this:

South East: MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, Fl
South Central: KY, TN, AL, MS, LA
South West: TX, AK

I wasn't really talking about "southeast" or "southwest", but more like the eastern part of the South (South East) and the western part of the South (South West) along with South Central. Does that make sense?

Old 07-25-2010, 12:55 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:

Nope, I agree with neotexist and others, Houston is not Deep South.
If it ever was, 100+ years back (which is even somewhat debatable) that's long history. Being Gulf Coastal doesn't matter.... would you consider Brownsville TX Deep South? More like Mexico.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Nope, I agree with neotexist and others, Houston is not Deep South.
If it ever was, 100+ years back (which is even somewhat debatable) that's long history. Being Gulf Coastal doesn't matter.... would you consider Brownsville TX Deep South? More like Mexico.
It's only because of the negative image of the term "Deep South" that people so strongly disassociate with it. Texas IS part of the South, and I don't like the use of the word deep along with it.

I don't know exactly where people think the "Deep South" is, but it's not a popular term and doesn't make anyone clamor to be a part of it.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I would do it like this:

South East: MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, Fl
South Central: KY, TN, AL, MS, LA
South West: TX, AK

I wasn't really talking about "southeast" or "southwest", but more like the eastern part of the South (South East) and the western part of the South (South West) along with South Central. Does that make sense?
Ok...I see where you are coming from!

By this criteria you are using (The South as opposed to southern tier/sunbelt), I would add Oklahoma to South West though.

On the proverbial related tangent, I always preferred "Western South" over Southwest, simply because the latter term can be too easily confused with New Mexico and Arizona. The South West you are defining is, correctly, the "Old Southwest" to be sure. But nowadays, because AZ and NM are both considered Southwestern, many folks make the assumption (IMHO, of course) of thinking of the two as one coherent historical/cultural region. When as it is, there are broad differences.

Hope that makes sense! LOL

Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Nope, I agree with neotexist and others, Houston is not Deep South. If it ever was, 100+ years back (which is even somewhat debatable) that's long history. Being Gulf Coastal doesn't matter.... would you consider Brownsville TX Deep South? More like Mexico.
I have stated an opinion on this particular subject (either on this thread or another! LOL), but just want to say I can see merits on both sides of the question concerning Houston.

At the least, however, I don't think it would be unrealistic at all to say there are parts of Houston (from early on) that have strong Deep South characteristics.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:13 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok, kewl! I was just wondering!

You also mentioned a three-way division between Southeast, South Central and Southwest as per the "southern region"...which I take is not to be confused with "the South" per se. That is to say, rather, the southern tier of states between the Atlantic and Pacific (generally, the "Sunbelt"). Something like:

Southeast: Virginia, Kentucky, the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, Tennesee, Alabama and Mississippi.

South Central: Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma

Southwest: New Mexico, Arizona, S. California

Along those lines, maybe..?
Stop Ignoring Maryland because whether you like it or not Maryland is a Southeast State......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.