Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 05:43 PM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times

Advertisements

A lot of people with English ancestry don't recognize it because it's from colonial times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 06:10 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
A lot of people with English ancestry don't recognize it because it's from colonial times.
Exactly.

On my father's side for instance, he mentions the Irish and German. Only later did I find out that his mother's (my late grandmother) entire side of the family is English. Why not mention the English? Because it is nothing special he says.

Old 10-17-2022, 08:40 PM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Exactly.

On my father's side for instance, he mentions the Irish and German. Only later did I find out that his mother's (my late grandmother) entire side of the family is English. Why not mention the English? Because it is nothing special he says.
Same with Minnesotans. Most of us have some English ancestry via New England/New York and even more recent English immigration but most people only claim the German and Scandinavian.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:13 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Seems like German. I can't think of any American born person I know that claims English ancestry. Scottish and Irish? Sure.
I think that when you ask, or the topic comes up, the easiest answer is what we will give. For most Americans it is "German" but that doesn't mean Germany as we know the country today. Those German ancestors might be from present day Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Czech Republic, or other places. My "German" ancestry refers to culture and language and religion, but the DNA tells a more complicated story. We always said "German" but now I know that the lion's share is Irish with a slew of Germanic threads leading to Germany and a handful of other eastern European places. I suppose that if you follow those threads far enough, they will lead to a place we recognize as Germany.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:41 AM

817 posts, read 626,597 times
About 60% of European Americans today are either wholly or partly of English ancestry, only European Canadians (76%) and European Australians (85%) have more English ancestry than we do. German ancestry appears to be dominant nationwide, however it's misleading. When you look at "American" by ancestry these people are mostly of British descent, combined with European Americans identifying as solely "English or "British" and you have a majority surpassing German ancestry by a large margin.

Old 10-18-2022, 02:02 AM

817 posts, read 626,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Very true

Old 10-18-2022, 06:00 AM

60 posts, read 57,841 times
I believe German outnumbers English in the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and portions (sometimes as small as individual communities or counties like Dubois County, Indiana, a catholic German enclave surrounded by counties where most people can trace their ancestry to English and Scottish folks from the upland south) of Iowa, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and central Texas. English ancestry is understated in most places (except among Mormons) and is dominant among white Americans outside of the aforementioned places plus some northeastern and midwestern urban areas where some combination of Irish, Italian, or polish predominates.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:32 AM

536 posts, read 323,165 times
Doesn't 1980 census confirm that english ancestry is the most prevalent ? It is the last census where american ancestry was not an option. And english was the most common ancestry there. There wasn't big immigration neither from England nor Germany since that census. Therefore it is quite obvious that english ancestry is more common than german.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:34 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
It sounds as if some people are trying to apply the "one-drop rule" that you are English if you have even the smallest English ancestral contribution.

Perceptions are based on what region you might live in. Maybe English ancestry is as much as 50% or more personal ancestry in New England and in large parts of the south (I'm including Scots/Irish and Scottish but not Irish). African ancestry is significant in parts of the south. The non-English part might be one thing or a bunch of smaller parts (German, Russian, French, ...).

By the time you get to the mid-Atlantic states you have smaller ancestral origin contribution from England. African and Caribbean ancestry becomes more significant. That mix carries west so by the time you get to the upper Mississippi Valley you have a lot of non-English ancestry, and German is probably most prevalent -- but it is likely to be linguistically and culturally German and include Volga German, Black Sea German, Baltic German, and others as well as German-German. They will likely say they are German ancestry if asked. My Pomeranian ancestors could be traced back to near Danzig, now Gdansk in Poland, but these were German people in language and culture and every way that matters but might have west-Slavic ancestral traces. They claimed to be German when asked. In the Southwest states the majority (or near majority) will have Hispanic ancestry -- which will likely include Indian ancestry and Spanish, most likely from colonial New Spain. There will be others who might claim to be English or German or whatever. European miners came to work the mines in Colorado and other western states, some from Wales/England but many from continental Europe. The west coast will have higher Asian percentages.

By DNA, I'm 15% English, Scottish, and Northwest European -- but that would include my Netherlands Dutch and Belgian Walloon Huguenot settlers who came to the Hudson Valley in the early and mid 1600s. I had seven people on the Mayflower (5 survived the first year) -- they are mostly the root of my English ancestry and they all intermarried for several generations, so the numbers grew but still reflect that small bunch of people in one of my many family lines. I don't consider myself English because of that.

The country is mostly just a mix of many different ancestries, and it really doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.