Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:17 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

[quote=ajf131;1010611]I have tons of friends at Truman-state...they think it's relatively Midwestern and I agree. Southern compared to Iowa and Minnesota? maybe...Southern I'm not sure I agree. If you want a Southern town in Missouri, go to Cape Girardeau or Sikeston or someplace in the bootheel...those towns definitely do not look like any parts of Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio in ANY shape or form and remind you of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas. I think most rural towns generally are laid-back anywhere that you go. This is not to say they do not have some Southern influences, but they are not Southern themselves, they definitely seem pretty Midwestern to me. Is it really that easy to generalize any region of the United States? No two states are EXACTLY alike. They may be similar, but all have their own feels and identities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 11:37 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I'm from Maryland and the lines are blurring so much. We used to be clearly southern but thanks to all the transplants from New York and New Jersey we're practically Northern now, especially around DC and to a certain extent Baltimore. Also Baltimore physically looks more like a northern city with its depressing brick buildings, tenements, gray masonry, etc. Absolutely nothing of the grand plantations or the stylish architecture you see in Savannah, New Orleans, or Charleston.

There are some who say even Raleigh and Richmond are more northern than southern now culturally, not to mention Miami and Tampa. I would say the southernmost northern city is Miami lol!!

I consider St. Louis and Kansas City to be Midwestern though others claim they are southern. I've also heard Oklahoma City and Tulsa described as both southern and midwestern, and Dallas-Fort Worth as both southern and Southwestern. I would say Indianapolis is the Midwest.

I generally agree with OKC and Tulsa, but I see no way in which St. Louis and Kansas City are Southern. They are solidly Midwestern cities as is Cincy. Louisville because of its location in Kentucky and below the Mason-Dixon line is not Midwestern at all...it is very Southern.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I see nothing southern about KC or STL or Cincy. All sources and most residents of these cities consider them Midwestern. Louisvillians generally consider themselves Southern. i think the four cities I just mentioned exhibit very obviously and clearly which regions they belong in. I say the debate needs to be taken away from these cities. West Virginia and Maryland and Northern Virginia are where the real ambiguities are to me anyway.
i noticed dat u try and force ur opinions on others i live in st louis and i think it is southern dats MY opnion

Old 12-04-2011, 11:47 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northhead View Post
i noticed dat u try and force ur opinions on others i live in st louis and i think it is southern dats MY opnion
Why do you feel that way? I've never had that impression from St. Louis.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:53 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,405 times
Did you really quote Dick Clark, seriously? Dick Clark. What does he have to do with the price of bananas? The sources some people use are so laughable. You just pull any crap off the internet and treat is as a credible source?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:43 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Wearing gold teeth and talking with a twang does not make a city "Southern". Oakland has those characteristics, largely due to a black culture with Southern roots, but that in no way makes it a Southern city.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
I live around Charleston, WV and we consider ourselves the Northern Most Southern City/Southern Most Northern City. I here that alot. And the truth is that Charleston has a very unique blend of both Nothern and Southern characteristics.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:33 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
Anyone who thinks St. Louis is southern simply hasn't been to the south. Night and day. I'm from Philadelphia and live in St. Louis. This city is not southern by any stretch.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:32 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
St. Louis is the southern-most northern city. Cincinnati is in a similar category.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:45 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
Anyone who thinks St. Louis is southern simply hasn't been to the south. Night and day. I'm from Philadelphia and live in St. Louis. This city is not southern by any stretch.
Agreed 100%. I'm from a town 2 hours south of St. Louis near where it actually becomes the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.