Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 12:50 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Dude Miami, Richmond, Norfolk, Parts of Atlanta, and Houston don't feel like southern cities.....

You just do not know Maryland and DC I am sorry but thats it you neeed to spend more time in Maryland and DC....

Better yet you need to travel to other parts of Maryland to get a better understanding of Maryland being a Southern State.........
How is that Miami, Richmond, Norfolk, Houston, and Atlanta don't feel southern but Maryland and D.C. do? Now you are making absolutely zero sense. Atlanta and Houston are unabashedly 100% southern, as are Richmond and Norfolk. Miami to a certain degree is not due to Florida being severely diluted by people from all over the country, but overall, economically and demographically, Miami resembles the New South more than anything else. Unquestionably part of the Sunbelt. it is certainly more southern than Baltimore and Maryland. I would question whether or not you've been to these cities, because you don't seem to be that knowledgeable about even your home state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Spewing BS is not name calling....

HOWEVER....

Throwing Tantrums while using the words like troll and three stooges are in the definition of Name calling.......

And yes Baltimore is a Southern City......

Sorry but thats the way it is and that is how it is going to be.....
Ok, fine, it's not namecalling according to you. It's still offensive and extremely provocative. So don't pretend like you're any more civilized than me. It's a waste of time for me to even engage with you. All you are attempting to do now is stir the pot. Your latest posts have shown us just how opinionated and unsubstantiated anything you have said is. You lost this argument a long time ago, now you're just struggling to stay afloat. Have your fun with somebody else, i've got other users and better topics to post on.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:08 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I find it interesting that so many claim this...

Although situated in a Southern state, Louisville is influenced by both Midwestern and Southern culture, and is commonly referred to as either the northernmost Southern city or the southernmost Northern city in the United States

Baltimore is the northernmost southern city and the southernmost northern city Washington Excursions

Baltimore has quite properly been dubbed “the northernmost southern city and southernmost northern city” in honor of its characteristic (and endearing) sense of cultural confusion. cruisereport.com/PortsOfCall.aspx?Id=1054

Given Baltimore’s status as the northernmost Southern city and its longtime role as urban flypaper for expat West Virginians Holiday Guide Feature 2005: Holiday Guide

It has been aptly remarked that Cincinnati is the "northernmost southern city and the southernmost northern city."www.galenfrysinger.com/cincinnati.htm
Straddling the Mason-Dixon Line, Cincinnati is the southern-most northern city and the northernmost southern city in America, representing and enjoying the sensibilities, attributes and cultures of ... cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2007/04/23/editorial1.html

about Indianapolis ................Described by cultural historians as the northernmost southern city in America.... Suck.com: Daily

Even : INTERESTING THINGS ABOUT YORK,PA York county has always been the Northernmost Southern city! members.tripod.com/~BriscoeTenMen/york.html

I grew up in and around St. Louis, which was then referred to as the northernmost southern city. The Washington Monthly

( during an interview with Dick Clark) CLARK: Very first guest was Dizzy Gillespie. And we almost had black guests, but it was -- Philadelphia in those days was the northernmost Southern city in the country, and it was highly segregated. CNN.com - Transcripts

West Virginia can be noted as the southernmost Northeastern state, the northernmost Southeastern state, the easternmost Midwestern state as well as the westernmost Eastern state West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How the heck anyone could put Baltimore even remotely close to the South is beyond me. Look at a map. It's nowhere remotely Southern. If you're going to put Baltimore in the South you might as well throw in Columbus Ohio, Des Moines, Iowa, and Lincoln, Nebraska in there as well.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:11 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
Quote:
Your opinion which is not a Fact and Yes Baltimore is Southern....

Just because you don't care for Maryland does not mean that Maryland is not in the South.......

What is the BIG DEAL about being in the South? You sure this isn't about the SEC fanatics?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
How is that Miami, Richmond, Norfolk, Houston, and Atlanta don't feel southern but Maryland and D.C. do? Now you are making absolutely zero sense. Atlanta and Houston are unabashedly 100% southern, as are Richmond and Norfolk. Miami to a certain degree is not due to Florida being severely diluted by people from all over the country, but overall, economically and demographically, Miami resembles the New South more than anything else. Unquestionably part of the Sunbelt. it is certainly more southern than Baltimore and Maryland. I would question whether or not you've been to these cities, because you don't seem to be that knowledgeable about even your home state.
Well the reason many people say Miami doesn't feel "southern" is because the city was founded 31 years after the Civil War by a widow from Cleveland & the railroad tycoon Henry Flagler who was one of the founders of Standard Oil & was from Hyde Park, NY.
Miami since it's founding was basically a city of Bahamian laborers & the wealthy elites from the NYC area where Flagler came from and vacationed in Miami & Miami Beach. It really was a Yankee / Northern city in demographics until WW2 when the military stationed thousands of troops in Miami Beach and many soldiers who were "southern" returned after the War to live.
The New York Times in the 1930s proclaimed Miami as the "6th. borough" once due to the amount of New Yorkers residing in the area!
Miamians do not consider themselves "Southerners" per se.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Well the reason many people say Miami doesn't feel "southern" is because the city was founded 31 years after the Civil War by a widow from Cleveland & the railroad tycoon Henry Flagler who was one of the founders of Standard Oil & was from Hyde Park, NY.
Miami since it's founding was basically a city of Bahamian laborers & the wealthy elites from the NYC area where Flagler came from and vacationed in Miami & Miami Beach. It really was a Yankee / Northern city in demographics until WW2 when the military stationed thousands of troops in Miami Beach and many soldiers who were "southern" returned after the War to live.
The New York Times in the 1930s proclaimed Miami as the "6th. borough" once due to the amount of New Yorkers residing in the area!
Miamians do not consider themselves "Southerners" per se.
Miami has no resemblance to any city outside of the South...when I visited there it felt more southern to me than anything else. Regardless about Miami, Houston is very southern.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:00 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Miami has no resemblance to any city outside of the South...when I visited there it felt more southern to me than anything else. Regardless about Miami, Houston is very southern.
Would you like to clarify your statement? What about Miami made you think it was a "Southern" city? Culturally Miami is not a "Southern" city unless you are referring to the African American population that resides in it.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
[quote=gwillyfromphilly;22192797]
Quote:
What are you talking about? Of course they do!

I've been to Maryland many times and I can honestly tell you it doesn't really feel like a Southern state. Also just because an area of the state is rural does not mean it has to be Southern.
Irregardless of what you think, Maryland is a Southern state whether you like it or not.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Like I said a hundred times "if Maryland was such a Southern State it would have joined the Confederacy just like the other Southern states did. So the conclusion is that Maryland was Never A Truly Southern State To Begin With!
You can yell and rant till the Sun burns out and Maryland will still be a Southern State.........

Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Really? You can't possibly be serious with the last part your statement. Ok maybe Alexandria since its only six miles from Washington DC, but you must be joking about the rest of them right?
Your not a true Pennsylvanian....

Old 12-21-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Alexandria is essentially part of D.C. and the southern tip of the Northeast. Richmond, Norfolk, and Newport News have never been said to resemble Philly or Boston...they are completely different from either Baltimore or D.C. in that they have Southern culture, demographics, and have never even once deviated from the south, before or after the Civil War.
Civil War bitterness is not going to dictate against the Fact that Maryland and DC is in the south........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.