Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnother View Post
Richmond isn't as far north as Louisville, but I would consider it to be the northernmost southern city on the eastern seaboard.
I would probably agree there as far as major cities are concerned. the transition zone to the northeast begins north of Richmond and ends I think around D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 06:40 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
The northern most southern major city is Baltimore....

Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,695 times
It's interesting how DC and Baltimore have two really different approaches to the whole North/South issue. DC is kind of "neither" North nor South, whereas Baltimore is kind of "both" North and South.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,371 times
Baltimore is by far, the most Northernmost southern city. The mason dixon line practically runs through it, well pretty close. And its claimed as a southern city. but like how someone else said. Lots of people from New york, new jersey and Massachutests are having a more urban impact on maryland in general. Socially, Batimore is a Northern City, but technically a southern city.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdphillips1 View Post
Baltimore is by far, the most Northernmost southern city. The mason dixon line practically runs through it, well pretty close. And its claimed as a southern city. but like how someone else said. Lots of people from New york, new jersey and Massachutests are having a more urban impact on maryland in general. Socially, Batimore is a Northern City, but technically a southern city.
Technically it is southern only by the census bureau classifying it as such...remember, the Mason-Dixon line in its original form was never used to designate which states are northern or which states are southern. Culturally, demographically, in terms of speech patterns, etc., Maryland, Baltimore, and D.C. are all in line with the Northeast. It is only that simple line, which never was used as the de facto designation between north and south to begin with, that even remotely makes Maryland a southern state by today's standards. Before 1860 is one thing...after is a different story. All of my D.C. and Baltimore relatives in Maryland identify with Philadelphia before Richmond...Maryland in its own sense is more Northeastern...it's not just outsiders that make the state more Northeastern. A proposed boundary is meaningless if nothing of substance backs it up.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
It's interesting how DC and Baltimore have two really different approaches to the whole North/South issue. DC is kind of "neither" North nor South, whereas Baltimore is kind of "both" North and South.
Last time I checked, Baltimore was more Northeastern than Southern. Just about everyone I know from there identifies with Philadelphia first before Richmond. Having been there myself, I can tell you it reminded me more of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia than Richmond, not even close to the same culture, demographics, and feel as Richmond. D.C. was pretty much the same way. The Bos-Wash corridor is the corridor of the Northeast. All those and states who lie in its corridor define the culture and region.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Technically it is southern only by the census bureau classifying it as such...remember, the Mason-Dixon line in its original form was never used to designate which states are northern or which states are southern. Culturally, demographically, in terms of speech patterns, etc., Maryland, Baltimore, and D.C. are all in line with the Northeast. It is only that simple line, which never was used as the de facto designation between north and south to begin with, that even remotely makes Maryland a southern state by today's standards. Before 1860 is one thing...after is a different story. All of my D.C. and Baltimore relatives in Maryland identify with Philadelphia before Richmond...Maryland in its own sense is more Northeastern...it's not just outsiders that make the state more Northeastern. A proposed boundary is meaningless if nothing of substance backs it up.
The Mason-Dixon Line and all that is really beside the point. I visited Fells Point, the "hip" neighborhood, and yet still there was a sea of mullets, and pronunciations like "faar" for fire (pretty much the most basic aspect of a Southern accent). And, just to clarify, this was mainly among white people. So I would attribute all of this, along with the infamous "hon" culture, to Southernness, not to the large black population.

Ever noticed that old-time Marylanders say "ray-oad" for road, just like they do in Georgia? And "ay-ohs" for the Orioles?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
The Mason-Dixon Line and all that is really beside the point. I visited Fells Point, the "hip" neighborhood, and yet still there was a sea of mullets, and pronunciations like "faar" for fire (pretty much the most basic aspect of a Southern accent). And, just to clarify, this was mainly among white people. So I would attribute all of this, along with the infamous "hon" culture, to Southernness, not to the large black population.

Ever noticed that old-time Marylanders say "ray-oad" for road, just like they do in Georgia? And "ay-ohs" for the Orioles?
LOL. This post was way off, but it was funny.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:18 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:

I agree but I wouldn't say that the sound completely southern of course but there is a slight southern influence. I also notice that as soon as you cross the mason Dixon line and get into the DC and Baltimore area there isnt a strong Puerto Rican and Dominican population like there is in the Northeast.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Baltimore needs some Waffle Houses. Until then, it's just not southern enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.