U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,290,084 times
Reputation: 2929

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Here we go, talking about Jim Crow Laws, which were in New York, and ignoring the fact that New Jersey had slavery up to the very start of the civil war.

These threads are ATROCIOUS. I'm embarrassed for the people who construct paragraphs like you did. Your critical thinking, and adherence to the points of the previous poster is very poor. I'm not saying everyone should be perfect, I just am making the point that this is a discussion forum. Being a discussion forum, it's not a teen chat room, not a text to your girlfriend, not a note scribbled down on paper towel to put the dog out.

Read over the DC Area and Dixie Drifting Apart - SkyscraperPage Forum thread. See how structured it is? See how the posts legitimately discuss topics? Recognize the properly constructed paragraphs? That is how people discuss things on an internet forum.

And, as to Dover being anything important in Delaware - it really isn't. Delaware is three counties, two of which are not svery densely populated. The true cultural and economic capital of Delaware is Wilmington.

What a tiny town like Dover did or didn't do hardly dictates the culture of the major city in the state, which is part of the same urbanized area as Philadelphia. If anything, Wilmington dictates the rest of the state, and probably kept it out of harm's way during the Civil War.

Im embarrased you cannot answer the questons.Or tell me how what I said was not true.
The South had :
Jim Crow
Slavery
kkk
Which one of these things did not happen in Delaware?Yet you want to talk about grits,sweet tea,and the absence of Roman Catholics(which just shuts down the Bayou,and parts of Alabama.)
I see you post erroneous information and cannot provide answers so you use the old "straw man" technique to disguise your own short fall of true knowledge of facts.l

Dover being the capital of the State of Delaware where the state legislature and Governor reside have no power? Because of Dover the rest of the state followed with Jim Crow.Why did Wilmington just say :"No.We don't want that in Dover and we will not follow the law?They DID not do that so they followed the law of the Government in Dover.So well such that like many cities in the South l,you had riots.The Governor had to call in the Guard.

Thats why I gave you the info about St.Joseph.you should have known the significance of he church being the only Roman Catholic Church blacks were allowed to go to.

Its You,like some teenager rambling about how Wilmington cant be southern because wearing hats and boots as you put it are solely done in the South.or because there are no grits and Roman Catholics?Real smart of you scholar!

As if Wilmington is some huge metropolis.
Really I think your an angry old know it all that cant stand to let anyone but you have an opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2011, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, DE
257 posts, read 350,308 times
Reputation: 78
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,854,943 times
Reputation: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
See you know nothing at all! No it isn't. The poster simply meant thats the one of the reasons why Californians are fleeing because of the three strike rule which hands down a mandory and extended period of incarceration of those who been convicted of a serious criminal offence on three different occasions
um no you know nothing at all because a 3 strike rule would have nothing to do with someone fleeing a city. NOW BOUNCE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,854,943 times
Reputation: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well it has gone down to pre 1960s levels in Atlanta and many Southern cities.
Atlanta now has most affluent black population after D.C.Also th highest black educated populace.
NYC is loosing its black population faster than any other race in the city.Its a fact that poor people dont move.They cannot afford too.You doubts are completely substantiated.
nyc is losing its black population faster then any race in its city? sources please because this is most def a first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2011, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,854,943 times
Reputation: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
Yea just like you have wannabe northerners in Maryland who and want to completely wash away history lol. You have people born and raised in Connecticut who claim that they are New Yorkers and not new englanders but guess what they are. And DC blacks are very southern. Hartford, Boston, Philly, Manhattan, Providence are examples of northern cities, true northern cities. Get over it. Take a history class, crack open a book or something and stop watching too much Wire. Southern culture definitely exists in Maryland. First, the native dialects(like Baltimorese) are partially influenced by Southern speech, and southern accents like the Tidewater one are just as native to Maryland as they are to Virginia. Second, native cuisine like crabs, Smith Island Pound Cake, Maryland Beaten Biscuits, Stuffed Ham and Maryland Fried Chicken, or tobacco, one of the state symbols that has a tremendous legacy in Maryland, all lean more in the Southern direction. Third, there is nothing "Northeastern" about Southern Maryland or the Eastern Shore. There are those who say Baltimore and DC aren't southern cities, yet they have Southern roots/origins, and continue to be influenced by the South in their own intricate way. Just because they've changed a lot from what they originally were, have gotten bigger, become more diverse, as many places have, doesn't mean they no longer fit into the region. But to see that requires letting go of cliched and oversimplified stereotypes of what the South is. All of the south has changed.

what history class?? what part of outdated don't you understand mr 80 year old? Most people in america go by region, and according to region maryland , baltimore, and dc are mid - atlantic regions. mid atlantic regions consist of maryland, dc , virginia , new jersey , penn state, ny state and all these places in this region claim up north or mid atlantic. None claim south.

Someone from baltimore on this thread even said himself that the people in his city dont claim south. So again GET OVER IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 33,965,965 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
See you know nothing at all! No it isn't. The poster simply meant thats the one of the reasons why Californians are fleeing because of the three strike rule which hands down a mandory and extended period of incarceration of those who been convicted of a serious criminal offence on three different occasions

Which means it was an ignorant racial post. Anything that intrinsically ties black migration with criminality is nothing but.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 05:40 PM
 
Location: New Haven, CT
212 posts, read 351,993 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
um no you know nothing at all because a 3 strike rule would have nothing to do with someone fleeing a city. NOW BOUNCE.
Im not going anywhere and no one wants to stay nor live in a state that has very tough laws and restrictions especially if they have prior convictions. Some of these states for example include Nevada, Arizona, Virginia, Texas, New York, and California. California has some of the toughest laws of any state and add that with the history of the LAPD plus racism and I think thats it a legit (yet small) possible reason why someone could or would want to leave. Not a majority of the reasons that I listed earlier but a reason nevertheless. NOW BOUNCE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 05:51 PM
 
Location: New Haven, CT
212 posts, read 351,993 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Which means it was an ignorant racial post. Anything that intrinsically ties black migration with criminality is nothing but.
I don't think so. I think you aren't looking at it as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 33,965,965 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
I don't think so. I think you aren't looking at it as a whole.
How should I be looking at it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2011, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,290,084 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
nyc is losing its black population faster then any race in its city? sources please because this is most def a first.
Percentage wise of course.

Quote:
The implications for a city of 8.2 million people could be profound. If the trend continues, not only will the black share of New York's population, which dipped below 25 percent in 2000, continue to decline, particularly if the overall population grows, but a higher proportion of black New Yorkers will be foreign-born or the children of immigrants.
New York's Black Population On The Decline? - Gothamist



http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/03/ny...gewanted=print
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top