Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 11:15 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,405 times

Advertisements

Why do people feel the need to group Maryland with Delaware? It touches more of PA and VA than it does Delaware, yet people think they're the same thing. Maryland has southern areas. DE does not. Maryland's population majority starts at Baltimore to the VA border. Delaware's pop majority is up by Philadelphia and New Jersey. Maryland was Maryland. Delaware was Pennsylvania. New Sweden, TV Markets, sports, etc. They are not interchangeable except for on the eastern shore, where most of the population DOES NOT RESIDE. Again, Maryland does not equal Delaware. The parts that do border are relatively unpopulated. /rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 10:36 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
For me Mid-Atlantic states are New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware

I'd add maybe Northern Virginia, Washington D.C, Northern WV and Maryland but not sure
Lls. You're whole post is the opposite. N. VA, DC,MD,DE are the epitome of midatlantic. NY, PA, NJ are the ones to be unsure about.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Lls. You're whole post is the opposite. N. VA, DC,MD,DE are the epitome of midatlantic. NY, PA, NJ are the ones to be unsure about.
Honestly having spent a great deal of my life in Philly and Jersey, even NYC I dont think anyone here would even question whether this area is Mid Atlantic, personally I cant imagine it being anything other, in fact to me New Jersey is probably the MOST Mid Atlantic state

Old 11-10-2011, 11:07 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Why do people feel the need to group Maryland with Delaware? It touches more of PA and VA than it does Delaware, yet people think they're the same thing. Maryland has southern areas. DE does not. Maryland's population majority starts at Baltimore to the VA border. Delaware's pop majority is up by Philadelphia and New Jersey. Maryland was Maryland. Delaware was Pennsylvania. New Sweden, TV Markets, sports, etc. They are not interchangeable except for on the eastern shore, where most of the population DOES NOT RESIDE. Again, Maryland does not equal Delaware. The parts that do border are relatively unpopulated. /rant

Ahh Delaware does have southern parts? Are you serious? Maryland is a mix. Parts of Md are like PA, WV and DE (Eastern shore).

Old 11-10-2011, 09:27 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
LOL @ southbound creating an elaborate smokescreen thread in YET another attempt to discuss the North/South Jersey divide.
Your insecurity shines through quite obviously with each & every one of these types of posts/threads. Honestly..................... No one cares. Suck it up & act like a big boy.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:47 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Honestly having spent a great deal of my life in Philly and Jersey, even NYC I dont think anyone here would even question whether this area is Mid Atlantic, personally I cant imagine it being anything other, in fact to me New Jersey is probably the MOST Mid Atlantic state
New Jersey? I say Maryland

Old 11-11-2011, 12:14 PM

399 posts, read 820,333 times
Quote:
So for you PA and NJ are what ? Northeast states ?

Old 11-11-2011, 03:39 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Ahh Delaware does have southern parts? Are you serious? Maryland is a mix. Parts of Md are like PA, WV and DE (Eastern shore).
Laurel, DE is the most backwater area of DE. It is RURAL. The people talk slower, just as the rest of PA and Upstate NY.

Trust me, Rehoboth's gay beach would NEVER fly in any "southern" area. It just wouldn't. You would have stories of beatdowns and harassment. It doesn't happen. Have you actually been west of Philadelphia or New York City?

Nobody in Southern De is non-rhotic unless they are from somewhere else. The people say "Wooder" and "Crick" Sweet Tea and Grits might be found, as they would in NYC or Phila, but they're not the tradition. These people eat subs and cheesesteaks, old bay crabs. Sorry to tell ya.

They may not be northern, but they're not southern. They're like people in South Jersey, Oxford PA, etc. Many wish they were southern (Confederate flags, etc.) But in the end, they're not.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:32 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Laurel, DE is the most backwater area of DE. It is RURAL. The people talk slower, just as the rest of PA and Upstate NY.

Trust me, Rehoboth's gay beach would NEVER fly in any "southern" area. It just wouldn't. You would have stories of beatdowns and harassment. It doesn't happen. Have you actually been west of Philadelphia or New York City?

Nobody in Southern De is non-rhotic unless they are from somewhere else. The people say "Wooder" and "Crick" Sweet Tea and Grits might be found, as they would in NYC or Phila, but they're not the tradition. These people eat subs and cheesesteaks, old bay crabs. Sorry to tell ya.

They may not be northern, but they're not southern. They're like people in South Jersey, Oxford PA, etc. Many wish they were southern (Confederate flags, etc.) But in the end, they're not.
I have been in Oxford once but wonder if the vibe changes dramatically from Kennet Sq which to me feels like a fairly cosmopolitan exurb of Philly, even one of the nations top suburban restaraunts in Talulas. Pretty countryside there though and I always forget how close that area is to the Chesepeake, seems like you can be eating crabcakes in Perryville MD in like 30 minutes from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.