Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What part of the US has the worst weather?
the Northeast 61 10.66%
the Midwest 208 36.36%
the South 174 30.42%
the Rockies 14 2.45%
the Southwest 52 9.09%
the Pacific Northwest 45 7.87%
California 18 3.15%
Voters: 572. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 AM

110 posts, read 130,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I would have to say the Desert Southwest or the Deep South. Just too damn hot.
I agree very much. I always laugh at weatherpeople who say things like:
  • “a ripper - 30 (degrees Celsius)”
  • “a great day - 36 degrees (Celsius; 97 degrees Fahrenheit)”
  • “it’s gonna be great - fine and 30 (degrees Celsius, which is 86 degrees Fahrenheit)”
If you look at it by region, whilst the desert Southwest is utterly awful due to its heat, the rest of the West almost uniformly has much more pleasant weather than anywhere in the East of the US. This is actually not solely true of the oceanic coastal regions, but even applies to the inland Mountain West owing to the fact that the Rockies block cold air during the winter and keep summer humidity low. In fact, it is fair to say in the north temperate continents that “the further west you go, the better the weather”, both in Eurasia and North America, and it’s more a steady tendency rather than an abrupt change in quality driven by mountain ranges.

Last edited by mianfei; 03-18-2013 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: More detail I forgot to include
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 AM

318 posts, read 566,894 times
Upstate New York and Northern PA. Lots of snow, cold and an incredible amount of cloudy weather.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
What part of the US has the worst weather?
San Fransisco weather sounds miserable to me. I hate fog and drizzle, for one thing, and I like a nice, warm, 80-85 degree day during the summer, or fresh snow and sunshine on a 25 degree winter day. It's hard to imagine going through an entire year with mediocre weather and no extremes.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:34 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
San Fransisco weather sounds miserable to me. I hate fog and drizzle, for one thing, and I like a nice, warm, 80-85 degree day during the summer, or fresh snow and sunshine on a 25 degree winter day. It's hard to imagine going through an entire year with mediocre weather and no extremes.
Definitely agree with the weather in SF. Summer should not be in the 40's-50's at night IMO. It must be torture to have such a beautiful beach too cold to swim in. There is plentiful sunshine though and microclimates with varying temps but I could not believe how cold it got at night there in the middle of Summer.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mianfei View Post
I agree very much. I always laugh at weatherpeople who say things like:
  • “a ripper - 30 (degrees Celsius)”
  • “a great day - 36 degrees (Celsius; 97 degrees Fahrenheit)”
  • “it’s gonna be great - fine and 30 (degrees Celsius, which is 86 degrees Fahrenheit)”
If you look at it by region, whilst the desert Southwest is utterly awful due to its heat, the rest of the West almost uniformly has much more pleasant weather than anywhere in the East of the US. This is actually not solely true of the oceanic coastal regions, but even applies to the inland Mountain West owing to the fact that the Rockies block cold air during the winter and keep summer humidity low. In fact, it is fair to say in the north temperate continents that “the further west you go, the better the weather”, both in Eurasia and North America, and it’s more a steady tendency rather than an abrupt change in quality driven by mountain ranges.
The Rockies don't block cold air; the air just comes down out of the mountains, warming up as the elevation decreases due to adiabatic compression. This phenomenon is called a "Chinook" wind in the Great Plains, and a "Santa Ana" wind in southern California. It's also called a "foehn" in German-speaking parts of Europe.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I would have to say the Desert Southwest or the Deep South. Just too damn hot.
I'd say Florida and Oklahoma. In Oklahoma you have to live with a weather radio, since there are constant tornadoes, and the winters can be sometimes brutal. My sister was stuck out there in a horrific snowstorm, no electricity, no way to get out. Just nasty. As for Florida, constant rain. Rain for months. I was in Miami in a very awful hurricane, no electricity for almost 2 weeks, trees down, huge lines for gas. Summers in Miami are pure vapor - intense heat coupled with rain and humidity. You can't be outside for long.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 PM

663 posts, read 1,144,695 times
The worst weather in the US is anything north of Ft Myers/ Palm Beach in Fl.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
The deep south and Florida. Could never deal with the heat, I love winter.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I would have to say the rockies, I have heard of places such as Colorado, Wyoming and Montana getting snow as late as June which is WAY too far into the year if you ask me
I can't speak for Wyoming and Montana but for Colorado this isn't exactly a fair statement. Along the Front Range where most people live in CO, the weather is quite nice. It is possible for snow to occur quite late but it is rare. Also, the weather is highly varied, especially in the winter. It is quite common to see days in January around 60 degrees and bright sunshine. People make statements like yours making it seem like snow falls continuously for nine months of the year. It's just not true. Sunny with occasional snows is a more realistic way to visualize the weather.

I voted California. Many think it is paradise and I understand why. I lived in Los Angeles area but didn't like the weather. No variety. It does rain some in the winter but can go like six months in the summer without any at all. I remember Subway offering discounts of half off in the summer if it was raining. Nice gimmick since it never happened. The Santa Ana winds kinda suck too but they don't last long. Most of the time the weather is beautiful but just no variety. I really missed it. Plus, I LOVE thunderstorms.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 PM

89 posts, read 179,407 times
The South for me. Extreme heat and humidity in summer is much worse for me than extreme cold during winter. For cities like Chicago, with proper clothing you can still be comfortable outside during winter. But for cities like Houston during summer, there's nothing you can do to make yourself comfortable while outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.