Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times

Advertisements

We just drove 1000 miles from just below Charlotte to the border of Canada in Vermont. New York State and Virginia had the most open spaces of any other states we went through. Pennsylvania was more like Independence Blvd. and Highway 74 near and East of Charlotte a lot of the way through the state. Except for the trees growing along the road, I saw very little difference in the terrain through the entire trip. We went from I-77 to I-81 to I-88 and then some smaller roads. We came back on I-89 for a short while.

I told my husband I was so disappointed. I thought things would look different. At the welcome center in Vermont I mentioned that things looked pretty much like where I had grown up in the mountains of North Carolina and the attendant pointed out that it is the same range of mountains but just has different names in many places. Makes sense, but it was not what I had expected.

We also went on Highway 2 through NH into Maine just so we could say we had been in those states. Maine reminded me more of Colorado in the road and the trees. The air was so fresh there. I had trouble breathing close to the NY and VT border. I think the air may have been dirty from all the traffic.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:02 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
That is not really the only reason people consider New Orleans unique (and to an extent Savannah and Charleston). But of course they are still considered Southern cities.
I understand that. I just don't see how someone can say that it doesn't feel southern. The south, just like every other region of the country, has subregions. Southern Louisiana is one of them.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:11 AM

814 posts, read 1,474,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I understand that. I just don't see how someone can say that it doesn't feel southern. The south, just like every other region of the country, has subregions. Southern Louisiana is one of them.
Well I never really quite understood how something feels Southern or Northern or Western. Appearance wise and culturally you could make it argument that certain cities arent "Southern" but just like you said there are sub-regions and it is not supposed to be all the same. Also Southern Louisiana and New Orleans are not really the same thing either, they have different cultures as well.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Like I said, NOLA, Charleston, and Savannah were urban in the Old South. That is why they are unique. They are all three southern through and through.
I just said New Orleans, Miami, and El Paso don't feel southern......

However I did not say that they are not Southern Cities just like to some people's opinions of Baltimore not feeling Southern but will not be an excuse to Dictate against the FACT that Baltimore is a Southern City in the state of Maryland that is a Southern State..........

Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Well I never really quite understood how something feels Southern or Northern or Western. Appearance wise and culturally you could make it argument that certain cities arent "Southern" but just like you said there are sub-regions and it is not supposed to be all the same. Also Southern Louisiana and New Orleans are not really the same thing either, they have different cultures as well.
Just like Baltimore does not look like Charlotte but that will not ever dictate against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.....

Old 09-13-2012, 05:31 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Just like Baltimore does not look like Charlotte but that will not ever dictate against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.....
Lol it never fails

Old 09-13-2012, 07:40 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,198 times
I'd say it extends from easternmost New Mexico to the Atlantic, and from the Ohio and almost to the Potomac to the Gulf.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:22 AM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I'd say it extends from easternmost New Mexico to the Atlantic, and from the Ohio and almost to the Potomac to the Gulf.
I mostly, but not entirely, agree with that map. The only area i'll claim any authority over is MD, and more of Charles, PG, and Talbot, Caroline, Queen Anne's, and Anne Arundel are tied with the southern part of Maryland than the map shows.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:34 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
NY and Philly get humid, but for much shorter periods of the year than DC. DC's average summer temperature is right around that of Atlanta's.
The temperatures of DC and Philly are not far apart, especially in the summer.

Quote:
Old or new, the South is the South. Just because there isn't a proliferation of stereotypical Southernisms draping the DMV doesn't mean its not South. DC people may think they have more in common with Philly, NY, and Boston, but people in Philly, NY, and Boston are saying that DC has nothing in common with them. People talk differently, dress differently, and the atmosphere is just more Southern in DC than any place in the Northeast corridor. It's just a fact.
People in DC have a lot in common with me, a Philadelphian. People don't dress any differently or talk any differently than they do in Delaware or South Jersey.

Quote:
Unless you are a Maryland Tax Paying Citizen there is not a Da*m*n thing you can say that can Dictate against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State.......
I asked my friend in Annapolis if his home is the South. He said it was a tough question, but he'd always thought of Virginia as the start of the South.

Quote:
Most of Alexandria is wrong anyway because it was Arlington, VA that was suposed to fit the other alf of the Washington, DC Diamond..........

The Nations Capital was originally supposed to be in Philly however they wanted the capital to be south of the Mason/Dixon............
Arlington, VA was Alexandria County at the time. If you complete the diamond, part of the current city of Alexandria is included (Old Town). Basically, the nation wanted to take advantage of the two successful river ports of Georgetown and Alexandria and just took those two cities.

Philadelphia wasn't supposed to be the permanent capital, but it was the original capital. Going with James Madison's idea that the capital should be away from a major population center, they created the idea of a federal city. They did want the Capital to be Southern to appease many of the Southern states, but they also wanted it to be central. Maryland was at the time a Southern state, but it became more and more tied to the North throughout the 19th century until it was a state that fit neatly into neither.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,537,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
My only real problem with that map is southern Ohio. The people there may be confused but it is not southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.