Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:45 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
If Illinois didn't have Chicago would the state have anything going for it?
Yes, it would still have several small cities and about 4 million people and a ton of agriculture, several pretty areas and a national forest, and it would probably be more fiscally balanced. But Chicagoland is a HUGE part of Illinois, just like the Twin Cities in MN, or Detroit in MI or Atlanta in GA, or Seatle in WA, or Phoenix in AZ, or...

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 03-19-2015 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 10:05 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Gambler on the CTA View Post
Strip clubs? The ones in E. St. Louis in particular?
Does E. St. Louis actually have one?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yes, it would still have several small cities and about 4 million people and a ton of agriculture, several pretty areas and a national forest, and it would probably be more fiscally balanced. But Chicagoland is a HUGE part of Illinois, just like the Twin Cities in MN, or Detroit in MI or Atlanta in GA, or Seatle in WA, or Phoenix in AZ, or...
Hate to be picky, but Illinois is almost 13 million now, and the Chicagoland population inside the Illinois state lines is roughly 7ish million, so Illinois would be closer to 6 million without the city.

But yes, Chicago defines Illinois, it is the principal city. But outside of the city I don't think Illinois offers as much as Wisconsin or Michigan do in the scenery and nature department. Wisconsin and Michigan's highlights aren't Detroit and Milwaukee, they have a lot of other areas making up for it.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Hate to be picky, but Illinois is almost 13 million now, and the Chicagoland population inside the Illinois state lines is roughly 7ish million, so Illinois would be closer to 6 million without the city.

But yes, Chicago defines Illinois, it is the principal city. But outside of the city I don't think Illinois offers as much as Wisconsin or Michigan do in the scenery and nature department. Wisconsin and Michigan's highlights aren't Detroit and Milwaukee, they have a lot of other areas making up for it.
Sure, I agree: I don't think there are any states in the Midwest that offer the consistent amount of beauty and nature that Wisconsin and Michigan do. Illinois has some pretty areas, but it rightfully should be grouped with Indiana and Iowa in terms of natural beauty. However, Chicago offers a lot to people, and not everyone is into nature and hiking, so that's a huge draw. The most beautiful states in the Midwest don't have a city like Chicago, so I think it's natural for many people to say Illinois, since Chicago is a huge part of Illinois.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:01 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
If Illinois didn't have Chicago would the state have anything going for it?
Lots of important crop land, although they don't compel anyone to move to Illinois, and they certainly aren't tourist attractions..

Old 03-20-2015, 07:15 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:

Garden of the Gods is in Southern Illinois.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:05 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
I enjoy driving through the Illinois farmland. But that's just me.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:23 AM

53 posts, read 46,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I enjoy driving through the Illinois farmland. But that's just me.
Yes. That's just you.

I've been over a lot of the country, including the desolate route from Reno to Salt Lake City...and the most boring drive is from Chicago to St. Louis.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Yes. That's just you.

I've been over a lot of the country, including the desolate route from Reno to Salt Lake City...and the most boring drive is from Chicago to St. Louis.
Everybody has their own opinions. For me personally: either I-80 from Des Moines to Cheyenne or I-35 Mpls to Des Moines.

Oh and I forgot I-75 from about Valdosta, GA to Orlando, FL.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Yes. That's just you.

Now...that's a stretch. At least there are people and towns between Chicago and St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.