Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 03:22 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times

Advertisements

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aSUbScm8nC...ith_Labels.jpg

Poor Washington state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 01:26 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
I live in the south. Its not a utopia. Grass is always greener on the other side.

I also live in the South and I agree with what you said. So many people move somewhere or want to move somewhere and have an idealized view of what it is like there. Personally I love Southern culture, weather and the environment I live in. However some people would not like it, and some would find that cold northern kind of place to be more to their liking. Someone who is more liberal, urban and hip would be much happier in the Northeast. Someone who likes cool or cold weather, snow and lakes would be more happy in the Upper Midwest. Also its not always cheaper to live down here, it depends on where you live. Hot growing cities like Nashville or Atlanta would be a lot more expensive to live in than some small Midwestern city like Grand Rapids or Green Bay. There is a lot of misinformation that floats around out there. There is no utopia, not in the North or the South. Not in the West. We all have our preferences and thankfully we live in a free country where we can choose something like where we would like to live.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:05 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
The OP is misusing the phrase "Snow Belt."

The Snow Belt is not a general catch-all for the entire Northeast and Midwest. There are multiple snow belts within those regions.

For instance, in Minnesota, the snow belt extends from near Pipestone in the west, through the Minnesota river valley and then into the Root River valley southeast of the Twin Cities. In Pennsylvania (as I understood it when I lived there) the snow belt was a narrow swath between Pittsburgh and Erie from the Ohio state line, extending east towards the northernmost Poconos.

So, this thread is sort of moot. Snow Belt was not properly defined from the onset, so we cannot hope to have a proper discussion about it.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:39 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
^ I'm still confused how everything is apparently bigger and easier down south. ?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ I'm still confused how everything is apparently bigger and easier down south. ?
I think that is a myth. Same here in Europe. Some people seem to think sunshine and palm trees automatically mean better life, more happiness and a more relaxed way of life.

I don't think that is true, I think happiness is closely related to socioeconomic well-being, and that can be achieved anywhere. Often people in seemingly gloomy regions are happier because traditionally that is where the jobs are and people thus have fewer worries.

Seems people in the south don't find it so great there...
http://breatheandsmile.org/wp-conten...-State-Map.jpg

Old 11-18-2015, 09:36 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think that is a myth. Same here in Europe. Some people seem to think sunshine and palm trees automatically mean better life, more happiness and a more relaxed way of life.

I don't think that is true, I think happiness is closely related to socioeconomic well-being, and that can be achieved anywhere. Often people in seemingly gloomy regions are happier because traditionally that is where the jobs are and people thus have fewer worries.

Heck, after seeing your OFFICIAL happy map, now I realize I'm supposed to be unhappy. But I'm not.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:24 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

Meh, you can spin things in a lot of ways. Here's a happiness map from the cdc that looks a little different
"Other “abnormally happy” cities include Charlotte, NC, and Naples, FL. Is it just me, or is there a pattern here, and does it have something to do with southern cities?"
The 5 Happiest Cities In America Are In One State & The Unhappiest Places Have One Thing in Common

Old 11-18-2015, 10:41 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Meh, you can spin things in a lot of ways. Here's a happiness map from the cdc that looks a little different
"Other “abnormally happy” cities include Charlotte, NC, and Naples, FL. Is it just me, or is there a pattern here, and does it have something to do with southern cities?"
The 5 Happiest Cities In America Are In One State & The Unhappiest Places Have One Thing in Common
Quote from your happy link. " Nearly all of the unhappiest places in the nation lean heavily Democratic when it comes to voting."

I'm happy.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:47 AM

Interesting, there are indeed different, often contradicting happiness maps out there. I wonder how that is possible. Are people in Mississippi really happier than those in California? Why would people in Indiana be so unhappy? But even on your map, there doesn't seem much of a correlation between happiness and southern climate. Montana super happy, as opposed to California.

Basically, your map seems to indicate that people are not happy in big cities.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:37 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Today I was driving back from No. Tampa to Lakeland, which is around 27 miles. I wanted to stop at a grocery store which would be Publix, since there isn't much else. There is not one shopping center (grocery store) at an exit in all those 27 miles. I would have to exit then go way out of the way to find one. I find at least this area of the south, rather backwards with very poor planning. Which for the high tourist populated area of Florida, would have much more. Such as actual public transit. You cannot even get to the airport by an airport shuttle, or a suburban park & Ride. In other words I find the area is rather stagnant, and has no signs of progression. It could be 1969 here or almost 2016. Other than more car dealers, gas stations and more sink holes. Nothing much changes. It's very sad and a sad commentary on the politics and mindsets of the region. Ignorant.

So I don't think everything is easier down here. At least in this part of the southeast. I don't rent but I investigated what rents are, and they are far from reasonable. In fact very high for the lack of urban amenities nearby. Everything is driving and more driving. So life down here can actually be more expensive, simply because there are less options for everyday life down here. Buying a home is cheaper, but to insure the home and your vehicles, could give you a heart attack. It is very expensive. I pay more here than when I lived in the exurbs of Boston. Also places are cheaper for a reason, but in the long run. Many places are not really all that cheap, when you add everything up. Based on your own personal needs and expenses. Otherwise its nice there is no income tax, and it's warm here in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.