Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 22.66%
Pennsylvania 14 10.94%
Delaware 7 5.47%
Maryland 49 38.28%
West Virginia 11 8.59%
Virginia 18 14.06%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:59 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
What Maryland dishes are made in southern style? Crab Cakes? Sauerkraut? What - do you think MArylanders wake up and eat grits and drink sweet tea? If you try to find it you can make that possible, but it is certainly not the norm...Ski trips aren't common? Lol, okay you just confirmed that you never lived here. There are these things called the Appalachians in the state. Maryland hardly has winter? Well neither does New Jersey by that logic. Baltimore has the same weather as Philadelphia and New York City is a whopping 2-4 degrees warmer (Whoa!). Feel free to look up some stats. Do you think that when you live 30 miles from the PA border the weather is a noticeable difference?

Highs and Lows for January:

Atlantic City: 42/38 (Snowfall 16 inches)
Newark: 39/24 (snowfall 29 inches)
Philadelphia: 40/25 (Snowfall 22 inches)
Baltimore: 42/29 (Snowfall 20 inches)
York: 40/21 (Snowfall 25 inches)
Frederick: 41/25 (Snowfall 23 inches)
New York City: 38/27 (Snowfall 26 inches)
Oakland: 34/16 (Snowfall 106 inches but remember this is not real wintertime)
Washington DC:
43/28 (Snowfall 15 inches)

^ These are actually all southern cities since they don't have a "real" winter. Oh, and people don't go skiing or snowboarding in the wintertime, (and there definitely aren't ski resorts either) that's news to me. I wonder why people keep making these kinds of comments when it is clear they have idea what they are talking about.
15 inches of snow for an inland city like Washington is not a lot, cities similarly inland get 4-5x that annually in New England and Upstate NY (not mountain towns). Most of the Northeast have a snowpack from Christman-Valentines day, 15 inches of snow over a winter doesn't allow a snow pack to form.
It's not that nobody skis on the south but the majority of people I Know skii multiple times each winter, it's significantly less popular in the south. Same with ice skating, most every town has at least 1 skating rink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 09:59 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,366 times
Quote:
Good try, but I would prefer to be a southerner given the choice. But unlike some, I am not going to lie to myself about the reality. The facts speak for themselves. There are too many Marylanders who want to be "cool" and claim to be southerners, but it doesn't change the fact that they are northerners.

Do you not want to be considered a Northerner because you are afraid that people will automatically think you are rude, unfriendly, and obnoxious and mistreat you and want nothing to do with you? I find that's why many don't want to associate with the Northeast. There is a widespread, seemingly automatic, stereotype people have against people from the Northeast, especially the NYC, Boston, and Philly areas. I think that it goes no further than there because, having lived several places in the South, I knew many transplants from those three areas and all seemed to be well-accepted by the locals and adjusted, especially after they have been there for a little while.

Back on topic, I will say that Maryland is both a Northern and a Southern state. Like it was said before, it is the southern-most Northern state and the northern-most Southern State. It is below the Mason-Dixon Line, and is therefore a part of Dixie, but it is also a part of the present-day cultural Northeast.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
15 inches of snow for an inland city like Washington is not a lot, cities similarly inland get 4-5x that annually in New England and Upstate NY (not mountain towns). Most of the Northeast have a snowpack from Christman-Valentines day, 15 inches of snow over a winter doesn't allow a snow pack to form.
Your note offers a good opportunity to consider perspective. Look at this: Annual Snowfall Totals by US City - Current Results

1. Yes, Boston gets around 3 times the average annual snowfall as DC. Does that make it southern? Maybe to a Bostonian.

2. NYC gets less than a third the snowfall as Buffalo. Does that make NYC southern? Maybe to a Buffalo resident.

3. DC gets more than 3 times the annual snowfall as Raleigh. Does that make DC a northern city? Maybe to a Raleigh resident.

See where I'm going with this. What is your cutoff snowfall level for cities to be classified as northeastern?

Old 08-29-2014, 10:39 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Pennsylvania is, sorry but it does not matter how many NE traits Maryland has its still not a genuine NE state, Midatlantic yea but not NE

I always thought that NY NJ PA MD were "Middle Atlantic States".

North east of them are the New England states. South and South west of them lie the Southern States.
Other designations that I was taught are South Western, Western and Mid Western.

It seems like the term "Middle Atlantic", is not used as much. It should be. It is a useful term.

I agree. Traits don't make the state. Geography does. One is subjective a trait or a feeling that a certain state gives. An accent or a food. The other, geography and location are immutable.

A bunch of people can move in from another region, but that does not change the location or geographical location of the state.

I disagree with the whole Mason Dixon line argument, though. That was for the purpose of the Civil War, which is over and was won by the United States of America.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 AM

622 posts, read 949,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Your note offers a good opportunity to consider perspective. Look at this: Annual Snowfall Totals by US City - Current Results

1. Yes, Boston gets around 3 times the average annual snowfall as DC. Does that make it southern? Maybe to a Bostonian.

2. NYC gets less than a third the snowfall as Buffalo. Does that make NYC southern? Maybe to a Buffalo resident.

3. DC gets more than 3 times the annual snowfall as Raleigh. Does that make DC a northern city? Maybe to a Raleigh resident.

See where I'm going with this. What is your cutoff snowfall level for cities to be classified as northeastern?
I'll say 10 inches or more.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:40 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
I'll say 10 inches or more.
The I will ask you questions similar to those I have for btownboss4, assuming he replies:

1. How did you arrive at this total?

2. Does this mean that the towns along the Delaware coast and places like Salisbury, MD with less than 10" snow on average annually are southern cities?

3. Does this mean that cities such as Asheville and Roanoke with more than 10" snow on average annually are northeastern cities?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:40 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Quote:
I swear that you are $mk396's alter ego.
Actually, his alter ego would be muppethammer26.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Maryland is actually a southern influenced northern state.
That would be Delaware on a whole because of the Middle Colony past and most DE folks live in the Philly inspired Wilmington area. MD would actually be deemed as a Northern influenced Southern state if you're being honest with yourself.

"Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia are Northeastern"

Old 08-29-2014, 11:50 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Actually, his alter ego would be muppethammer26.

That would be Delaware on a whole because of the Middle Colony past and most DE folks live in the Philly inspired Wilmington area. MD would actually be deemed as a Northern influenced Southern state if you're being honest with yourself.

"Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia are Northeastern"
How is the Baltimore area a northern influenced? Technically, the Baltimore area is one of the most southern areas in the south since we don't have the influx of people from all over like the DC area and other southern cities have.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:56 AM

622 posts, read 949,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
How is the Baltimore area a northern influenced? Technically, the Baltimore area is one of the most southern areas in the south since we don't have the influx of people from all over like the DC area and other southern cities have.
Baltimore receives as much snow as Philadelphia and most dialect maps place Baltimore in the same region as Philadelphia. Baltimore has received immigrants from around the world like other Northeastern cities and there are ethnic neighborhoods in Baltimore (Italian, Irish, Chinese, Puerto Rican, Greek, etc) . The food in Baltimore is more similar to the food from the other Northeastern cities (Crab Cakes, Scrapple, Cheesesteaks, Bagels, etc). Baltimore is basically Philadelphia in Maryland.

Last edited by muppethammer26; 08-29-2014 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 12:33 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

I would say about 20 inches BUT cold enough for a snow pack to form regularly (as in snow is still on the ground for the next storm) so the line is very near Philly a bit to the South.
Obviously this is for an average climate at the latitude not influence of Ocean or Signifigant mountains. (for example NH does not have a a Brutal climate because Mt Washington gusts over 100+mph very often)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.