Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:44 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadHere View Post
It's kind of annoying. I grew up near the Adirondacks, and I feel as if Upstate is just overlooked as far as beautiful scenery.

The Adirondacks are better than anything in New England, and our fall foliage is no different than theirs.

What gives?

The Adirondack region is certainly just as beautiful with its foliage, but if some of those photos you attached were of Vermont, those valleys would be punctuated by white church steeples along with colorful leaf dappled cemetaries, beautiful 19th century farmhouses and general stores selling maple syrup and the finest cheddar cheeses in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 08:57 AM

131 posts, read 141,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The Adirondack region is certainly just as beautiful with its foliage, but if some of those photos you attached were of Vermont, those valleys would be punctuated by white church steeples along with colorful leaf dappled cemetaries, beautiful 19th century farmhouses and general stores selling maple syrup and the finest cheddar cheeses in the world.

You really don't think Upstate has that?

Let's not forgot what states fought over Vermont. It was almost ours to begin with.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsmancino View Post
How dare you! Lol.

Honestly I have no idea why I assumed the NE area was the best/only area for fall colors. Maybe because New England is a popular setting for movies and tv?

I'm glad people have pointed out other areas though. Upstate NY looks fantastic. I knew it was pretty, just like every state has pretty spots, but I didn't realize it was THAT pretty.

Not holding it against you. Now you know!

For me, New England is just New England, because where I am from, it's no different. You cross the border into Massachusetts or Vermont and it still feels like Upstate New York, so. I would certainly advocate Upstate NY, and it's cheaper COL wise. Albany was settled in 1618 and is older than New York, Philadelphia and Boston.

The historic charm and fall colors you are picturing are rampant in the entire Northeast. Boston, New York and Philadelphia all have tons of that in their suburbs. It's a hallmark of all three cities.

This is Bucks County PA, which is suburban Philadelphia.

https://www.google.com/search?q=buck...vICb4Q_AUIBigB

This is Westchester County NY, which is suburban New York.

https://www.google.com/search?q=west...vfDGYQ_AUIBigB

Neither of which are technically New England (although very short distance away).

This is the Lehigh Valley in Northeast PA.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lehi...+valley+autumn

Old 08-09-2016, 09:47 AM

As you can see, the Adirondacks are almost as big as the entire state of Vermont, as well as New Hampshire.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:52 AM

And Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington all peak around the same time (late October).

Another cool city to check out in the fall is Montreal and it is the closest major city to the Adirondacks, Vermont and New Hampshire.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mont...VQBaEQ_AUIBigB

Old 08-09-2016, 10:28 AM

470 posts, read 454,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Umm nope. Those are natives. You really think they decided to plant northern trees over 200,000 plus square miles? Pecan trees are native here, they turn yellow in November. In case you didn't know, the temperatures in November here are the same as New England in October. I'm of course referring to the upper half of Texas. Won't see much if any colour down south. We get our leave change a month later than y'all but we get it. You don't like people being ignorant about where you live, don't be ignorant about down here either
Like I said, all deciduous trees in the South are either Ice Age relics, or are planted. The pecan trees would be Ice Age relics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
That's the second time you've made reference to "Ice Age relics"' ... Whatever that means?

At any rate, yes most trees in the South change colors and lose their leaves in the fall. The only types that don't, of course, are evergreens like the famous southern Live Oaks which only grow in the coastal regions, etc. But even they do turn a dull gray / green.
Ice Age relics because the deciduous trees were forced south when the North got covered in glaciers during that time period. Since then, the climate warmed up, and evergreens from Florida and tropical Mexico have slowly, but surely, started to replace deciduous trees in the South.

And the replacement has been quite fast; most trees in the South are evergreen, especially live oaks, magnolias, red bays, pines, etc.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:46 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
New Jersey has gorgeous fall foliage.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:48 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Upstate NY literally has all of that...

Old 08-09-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Upstate NY literally has all of that...

Tried telling him.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:09 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right. Pretty clearly this particular poster is not very familiar with northeast Texas.

There are more spectacular fall colors on the eastern seaboard, especially in the Appalachians and Smoky Mountains and northeast but northeast Texas does have some beautiful fall foliage - we just get it in late November. Or at Christmas - LOL.
We start to get the first leaf change in October but it peaks in November. Go back to November on my instagram and it's full of foliage pics lol it is very pretty. I wish it'd come sooner but when it does it come it's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.