Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:49 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,340 times

Advertisements

I think that DC, Northern Virginia, or Baltimore will get chosen simply based on the fact that Bezos will not want to travel far from his home in DC to the new HQ.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:19 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
One of the reasons Pittsburgh is always immediately cut from the short lists is a lack of a daily non-stop flight to Seattle.

Just announced today, Alaska Air will be starting daily non-stop between Pittsburgh and Seattle in Sept 2018.

It's great the city is going all out but we just don't have the infrastructure to handle the traffic unless Amazon locates to an outlying county and that has never been their plan.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:47 AM

783 posts, read 694,578 times
I think it will probably be what everyone is thinking... Atlanta. The problem with a lot of the great northeastern cities is that they have the same high housing costs and limited space that is in Seattle. I don't see a big enough delta to want to spend 5 billion and create a whole separate hq2 if you want to essentially buy what you already have. Atlanta gives you a lot of breathing space in terms of both space and costs while still getting good talent. Sure it's biggest drawback is its public transportation. But it does have the bones of something to work with. It has MARTA and could possibly upgrade its transportation system to be better. It is large enough to not be a company town, it is tolerant enough to not scare people away. It is business friendly enough to not complain about someone wanting to rule the world from their kingdom. It doesn't have a state whose finances are in jeopardy. It has warmer weather than the NE or Midwest cities. It is already fast growing and has room to accommodate.

Why not Atlanta?

Old 11-16-2017, 06:27 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I think that DC, Northern Virginia, or Baltimore will get chosen simply based on the fact that Bezos will not want to travel far from his home in DC to the new HQ.
If you are using that metric, I guess SoCal will get chosen, since it will be near his Beverly Hills house he has had for decades or wait, maybe it will be in NYC, since he will not want to travel far from his place in Manhattan, which he also has had for decades.

I'm not saying the DC metroplex will or will not be getting the HQ2, but the thing I would least base it on, would be where Bezos has a house (he has at least 4, Seattle, LA, NYC and DC). The guy is the richest person in the world (at least on paper) and can easily and will probably buy a new house wherever HQ2 ends up, unless he already has a house there!

Old 11-16-2017, 07:41 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Bezos has infinite money. He can buy a house wherever he wants. I don't think HQ2 is going to a suburb, or any city with housing costs comparable to Seattle. What would be the point?

Old 11-16-2017, 08:02 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,164 times
Marta should be in the war room 24/7 strategizing, and fast tracking plans to beef up the transportation infrastructure. They will have to do it eventually, so why not now?

HQ2 will pretty much be in the bag, if the city can show Amazon SOMETHING very soon. (If they haven't already made their choice.)

Old 11-16-2017, 10:21 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I need to see some stats or ranking on the tech thing. I don't think Dallas is in this higher tier than Atlanta when it comes to that.

Atlanta's advantages over Dallas include its universities and mass transit. The advantages over Austin are mass transit and the airport. All things considered when factoring in the pros and cons for each city, they are more or less in the same boat. Practically even publication that lists cities with the best chances of landing HQ2 have Atlanta near the top and for good reason.
I don't think that Atlanta has better mass transit than Dallas, they both kinda suck TBH. I know that Atlanta has heavy rail, but it is very limited for service. DART in Dallas my be slow and suck, but it goes more places. Again, neither city is scoring a lot of points on transit.

Dallas has one of the largest telecom corridors in the country. AT&T and TI are both based here. Dell is in Austin. Combined there is alot more tech talent and movement between these two cities.

I don't think Dallas is a dominant tier above Atlanta, and honestly I don't think Amazon will go to either of these cities, but if they did, I think Dallas would edge Atlanta out.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:10 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
This was posted about 400 posts back, but if you missed it, here is the NY Times prognostication.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...arters-be.html
Yeah, pick one of the most isolated cities / metros in the US where the COL is getting out of hand. That makes a lot of sense.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:12 PM

273 posts, read 206,875 times
Philly's on it, guys.

Confident Philadelphia Officials Preemptively Raze Center City To Make Room For Amazon Headquarters

Old 11-16-2017, 04:10 PM

631 posts, read 1,093,164 times
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.