Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good points...I agree, in a relative sense, about college towns(or even sections of cities as well). Especially if it is a major university/college town, as they attract people from all over the world in terms of students, faculty and staff.

I will say that in slow growth/stagnant cities, you may have areas where there is a mix of immigrants that create a diverse cultural scene. So, it may depend on where within those cities as well.
That is very true. My reference point of slow growth areas is the Great Lakes region. With the exception of Chicago, the region does not attract immigrants, especially Hispanics and Asians, like other areas of the country. The northeast is a little different in that respect. If not for the immigrants, the Northeast population would be drastically down. One of the things that keeps the Great Lakes region stagnant is that it does not attract a lot of immigrants. I know Columbus Ohio attracts a lot of Somalians....and Columbus, I think, leads the Great Lakes in population growth. Plus it has the behemoth Ohio State University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 09:35 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That is very true. My reference point of slow growth areas is the Great Lakes region. With the exception of Chicago, the region does not attract immigrants, especially Hispanics and Asians, like other areas of the country. The northeast is a little different in that respect. If not for the immigrants, the Northeast population would be drastically down. One of the things that keeps the Great Lakes region stagnant is that it does not attract a lot of immigrants. I know Columbus Ohio attracts a lot of Somalians....and Columbus, I think, leads the Great Lakes in population growth. Plus it has the behemoth Ohio State University.
True...Places that are more stagnant/slow growth, but get some immigration/refugees are some of the bigger Upstate NY cities and Waterloo IA, which get quite a few refugees from all over. If you go to inner neighborhoods in say Buffalo’s West Side or Syracuse’s North Side, both are very diverse urban areas with a strong refugee/immigrant presence(both were/somewhat still are areas where Italians were concentrated too). So, you can find some examples within select cities.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-22-2018 at 09:43 AM..

Old 03-22-2018, 10:56 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
As a resident of Birmingham that lives right next door to Atlanta, if you can't see the glaring differences between the two then I can't help you.
No, I can't...lol

Like I really can't; I'm an Afro-Latino, and you're White, so maybe that's plays in the different experiences? I don't know. I just can't see the glaring differences. As I said before, Birmingham has a bit larger Hispanic presence, but if we're talking about Racial Harmony, they're about on the same scale.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:12 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
No, I can't...lol

Like I really can't; I'm an Afro-Latino, and you're White, so maybe that's plays in the different experiences? I don't know. I just can't see the glaring differences. As I said before, Birmingham has a bit larger Hispanic presence, but if we're talking about Racial Harmony, they're about on the same scale.
wow never knew that. I wonder why?

Old 03-22-2018, 01:29 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
As a resident of Birmingham that lives right next door to Atlanta, if you can't see the glaring differences between the two then I can't help you.
Well here is your opportunity to tell us what are the glaring differences between the two cities when it's comes to racial harmony in 2018. Otherwise I gotta agree with OT

Old 03-22-2018, 05:21 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Cause “We Taking Overrrrrr”....

Nah but seriously, maybe it’s due to Birmingham being overall cheaper and up for grabs; more opportunities for people who want to rent out property and etc.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

You're "wow-ed" because it is not accurate.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Honolulu and San Francisco.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-22-2018, 09:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
No, I can't...lol

Yep, I'd say they're on about the same scale when it comes to Hispanic populations - near the bottom nationwide.

Birmingham, AL is 3 percent Hispanic.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok
Atlanta, GA is 5 percent Hispanic.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok
For some perspective, here are some cities in the US with their percentage of Hispanic population.
Hispanic Population and Origin in Select U.S. Metropolitan Areas, 2014 | Pew Research Center

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2018 at 07:07 AM..

Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
No, I can't...lol

No, no, you misunderstood my point. We were equals back in the 60's, but due to the differences in the way each City dealt with the Civil Rights movement it caused things to turn out dramatically differently between the two.

It may not be fair, but Birmingham has paid a very steep price in terms of economic growth due to things that occurred back then. I happen to like Birmingham, and agree that the black & white comfort level is about the same as ours in the here and now.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

Last edited by JMatl; 03-22-2018 at 10:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.