Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers a better quality of life?
The US 105 44.49%
Canada 107 45.34%
It's a tie 24 10.17%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 11:25 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thank you for this reality check. You're right that there are probably 20-30 countries out there where the quality of life basics are reasonably similar.

Beyond that it really becomes a question of people's individual preferences.
Which was discussed in this thread, and no one disagrees with personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I say bologna to that. Your socialized healthcare is fine if you have a cold, or need a bandage put on that boo boo, but if you have a serious condition it is woefully lacking. Priority lists and lengthy waiting for major surgery brings tens of thousands of Canadians to America every year for treatment, and your socialized insurance is not good outside of the frigid tundra. That means that since at least half your country spends as much time as is possible south of Georgia during much of the year, many are without coverage here. They get sick or have an accident, we are forced to pick up the tab and they leave on the cheap. I would call whatever QOL that is associated with that doing so on the backs of others, just like welching on the NATO expenditure commitment.

Don't get me wrong. I think you folks are nice people, but there is a reason most of you are clustered along our northern border, and there is another reason tens of thousands choose to come here every year. None of that has anything to do with QOL in Canada.
Americans slamming Canadian healthcare is really getting tired. Anyone who has experienced Canadian healthcare or lives in Canada KNOWS your statement is patently FALSE. Or I suppose my mothers brain tumour operation, breast cancer in both breasts, kidney cancer, cataract surgeries, and both hips replaced wasn't more than a bandage?

Or that when I had arm issues this summer and had to go to the doctors that day, get an ultrasound and follow up visits, that I longed for having to check who my insurance would let me use, and what extra expense there might be, and possibly filling out forms, rather than just go show and show my healthcard?

Look. people like you who post lies about Canada's healthcare system, not only make YOU look foolish you do YOUR fellow citizens a disservice. Especially when your country is looking for a better way to manage healthcare.

Think about what you said here " Priority lists and lengthy waiting for major surgery brings tens of thousands of Canadians to America every year for treatment, and your socialized insurance is not good outside of the frigid tundra"

Waiting lists are not lengthy for every major surgery. Waiting lists don't exist for urgent care.

Your tens of thousands is between 50,000 to 60,000 a year of ALL Canadians who receive care OUTSIDE of Canada, not just in the US. I've said this a 100 times on this board, and will continue since I'm sick of the misinformation. but if I broke my arm and got care while in Germany, or Australia or the US, I'd be in that number. Also EVEN if it were 60,000 that paid out of pocket to get care outside of Canada, that is NOTHING out of 37 MILLION people.

Here is what YOUR fellow citizens are up to.

"Every year, millions of Americans leave the country in order to save money on exorbitant medications and surgeries — a phenomenon called " medical tourism."

https://www.thisisinsider.com/medica...lthcare-2018-6

Also, I know no one that lives on the tundra. Very few Canadians do.

You are also incorrect about our insurance not be good outside of Canada. It may depend on the province, I haven't checked, but my insurance covers me wherever I am in the world. It will pay only what the same procedure would cost here at home, and is ONLY payable for emergency or urgent care. It won't cover me if I were a medical tourist.
I take out extra health insurance when travelling, ESPECIALLY in the US where the costs are probably the highest in the world.

Every day I seem to read in your news about your healthcare crisis. How millions can't afford it. Here is the latest.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/26/healt...ice/index.html

Now compare those costs with what I would have to pay here in BC.

"When a BC ambulance is requested and a ‎patient is transported.

$80 flat fee (ground or air)"

Fees

Your whole whiney premise about Canadians and healthcare is wrong. Canadians are not depending on the back of America for healthcare. That statement alone, would get you laughed out of a room.

The NATO comment doesn't deserve a response, since it's misinformed and insulting, but heck, if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:52 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm back

I never did, nor did I ever try to speak for a racial minority. I am just pointing out that the experiences or success of a small part of that group, doesn't represent the overall QOL of life for that group, and especially qualify as an indicator of the QOL of a whole country.

PS..this new " stay in you lane " thing, reminds me of speakers when they say " moving forward ". It makes me cringe LOL.
Fair enough. Admittedly the comment you made about "which country are black folks more likely to be shot by police" kind of triggered my response. Using such a tragedy to make a point came across as bad taste but if that was not the intent then I am willing to stand corrected.

That saying is hardly new, it has been used for decades. Get with the times geezer

Old 11-28-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Fair enough. Admittedly the comment you made about "which country are black folks more likely to be shot by police" kind of triggered my response. Using such a tragedy to make a point came across as bad taste but if that was not the intent then I am willing to stand corrected.

That saying is hardly new, it has been used for decades. Get with the times geezer
No , that was not my intent and sorry if you were offended.

Weird, I never noticed that saying until recently...still dislike it though

Old 11-28-2018, 03:01 PM

257 posts, read 167,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I say bologna to that. Your socialized healthcare is fine if you have a cold, or need a bandage put on that boo boo, but if you have a serious condition it is woefully lacking. Priority lists and lengthy waiting for major surgery brings tens of thousands of Canadians to America every year for treatment, and your socialized insurance is not good outside of the frigid tundra. That means that since at least half your country spends as much time as is possible south of Georgia during much of the year, many are without coverage here. They get sick or have an accident, we are forced to pick up the tab and they leave on the cheap. I would call whatever QOL that is associated with that doing so on the backs of others, just like welching on the NATO expenditure commitment.

Don't get me wrong. I think you folks are nice people, but there is a reason most of you are clustered along our northern border, and there is another reason tens of thousands choose to come here every year. None of that has anything to do with QOL in Canada.

If you have a life threatening or serious illness or accident, you are treated right away.

Not sure what you're on about.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:13 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No , that was not my intent and sorry if you were offended.

Weird, I never noticed that saying until recently...still dislike it though

I will say that overall Canada has a better quality of life on balance than the US, but both offer such a high QOL relative to most of the planet that it is really close.

With that said, as a black professional family our QOL increased dramatically when moving from Canada to the US. Of course though we are only a segment of the population and overall I would still give it to Canada.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:03 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I voted for Canada because Canada is not so heavily populated and crowded, and also because Canada smells better, the air is fresher and cleaner because of being less populated and having less cities and less vehicles. The parts of USA that don't have a lot people don't smell too bad.

Ridiculous!
Canada has a few big cities with normal city problems, just as there are many parts of the US that do not have many vehicles and population. Don't be so ignorant just to make yourself "Anti-American"

You REALLY come off as a Canadian hillbilly

Old 12-02-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Ridiculous!
Canada has a few big cities with normal city problems, just as there are many parts of the US that do not have many vehicles and population. Don't be so ignorant just to make yourself "Anti-American"

You REALLY come off as a Canadian hillbilly
I think you missed the " dry Canadian humour " of that post.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:27 AM

141 posts, read 98,573 times
Default Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
When I was in Canada in early August, I took my family to a Blue Jays game. We got to know the guys in front of us and they kept apologizing for the heat wave. You know, temperatures around 82 degrees. I said, "No worries. This is late October for us in the South."

Let me put it to you this way. The United States (Particularly the South) for October-April. Canada for May-September. There's a reason the southbound interstates are clogged with cars carrying Ontario plates in November after all.
OH, I don't know about that! It depends where in Canada you are speaking of. The mildest suburbs of Greater Victoria, Canada historically (normally) enjoy warmer winters than some of the suburbs of the Dallas-Ft. Worth (Texas) Metroplex (the most populated urban area in the Deep South!). It seems as though some winter climates in Canada are mild beyond your wildest imagination.

Data Source: National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (US Government)

Old 02-21-2019, 06:32 AM

141 posts, read 98,573 times
Default Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've never been to Canada, but I'm sure there are many, many positives about the country, and I'm glad that we have a good neighbor to our north.

That being said, I prefer a warmer climate for starters. And I love the US. The good, the bad, and the ugly - the pros and the cons - I still love the US and our way of life. I don't want to live anywhere else, though I do love traveling to different countries. Maybe I'll travel to Canada one day - during the summer.
That odds are that Canada's mildest metropolis enjoys milder winters than where you live in the US (it depends where that is?). So if you can give me your current city, I will let you know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.