Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:57 PM

18 posts, read 138,456 times

Advertisements

definatley one of what?? based on what?? alot of you just assume with no real facts to back up the claims vallejo is nowhere near being one of the worst in california. stockton has a high number of assaults but a assault can be classified on somethin as simple as pushin' someone. the assaults are high which pushes them higher up but there murder rate is considerably low considering the other cities . i already posted the actual cities that are the worst of the worst in the state, go check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 04:20 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdowaldo View Post
definatley one of what?? based on what?? alot of you just assume with no real facts to back up the claims vallejo is nowhere near being one of the worst in california. stockton has a high number of assaults but a assault can be classified on somethin as simple as pushin' someone. the assaults are high which pushes them higher up but there murder rate is considerably low considering the other cities . i already posted the actual cities that are the worst of the worst in the state, go check it out.
just look at the stats, Vallejo is up there in crime.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Vallejo-California.html

It may not be the worst but it's definitely a bad place to live with lots of drugs and crime. I was born in Vallejo and it's where a lot of my family is from and none of us have anything good to say about that hell hole. Two of my family members were murdered in Vallejo btw. The best thing my parents ever did for my family is move away from that place, I feel sorry for my family members still stuck there.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:59 PM

i have fam that stays in vallejo & i know all about whats goin on over there, alot of vallejo is decent to nice even in the rougher areas like the crest. vallejo was "bad" in the early 90's. and also dont confuse "crime" with homicide rate very different things there. vallejo has a low murder rate, the cities that i mention about being bad are bad becuz they often have murder rates 4 to 5 times the national average sometimes even more.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:06 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Tacoma, Oakland, Richmond, San Bernardino, Stockton, El Cajon, Compton,

Old 10-15-2008, 01:15 PM

[LEFT]i keep wonderin why people on this topic keep mentioning tacoma washington? acording to this web site the city is predominant white. they also have a low muder rate just a tad bit higher than the national average. once again "crime rates" inlcude the lesser pettier crime, robberies, larcenies and asualts all of which dont make it one of the worst.

Races in Tacoma:[/LEFT]
  • White Non-Hispanic (66.5%)
  • Black (11.2%)
  • Hispanic (6.9%)
  • Two or more races (6.3%)
  • American Indian (3.6%)
  • Other race (2.9%)
  • Other Asian (2.2%)
  • Vietnamese (1.9%)
  • Korean (1.4%)
  • Filipino (1.0%)
  • Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (0.9%)
  • Japanese (0.5%)
richmond compton,san bernandino & oakland all have murder rate atleast 4 times the national average on most years with certain drops periodicaly thats why they 'qaulify" as the worst of the bunch.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:48 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,656,959 times
Quote:
i keep wonderin why people on this topic keep mentioning tacoma washington? acording to this web site the city is predominant white. they also have a low muder rate just a tad bit higher than the national average. once again "crime rates" inlcude the lesser pettier crime, robberies, larcenies and asualts all of which dont make it one of the worst.

Races in Tacoma:
  • Black (11.2%)
  • Hispanic (6.9%)
  • American Indian (3.6%)
  • Other race (2.9%)
  • Other Asian (2.2%)
  • Vietnamese (1.9%)
  • Korean (1.4%)
  • Filipino (1.0%)
  • Japanese (0.5%)
richmond compton,san bernandino & oakland all have murder rate atleast 4 times the national average on most years with certain drops periodicaly thats why they 'qaulify" as the worst of the bunch.
Yeah but petty crime seems to effect a much larger number of people then violent crimes. Alot of murders more or less seem to be connected to drugs,while someone with no criminal past could be randomly robbed or even assaulted.And armed robberies and auto thefts are pretty serious crimes too.Murder is not the only crime that determines how dangerous a city is.At the same time I do think the cities you listed are more dangerous then Tacoma though.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:18 PM

186 posts, read 475,252 times
you dont have to live in a certain city to commit a crime in that city.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The poor being pushed out of L.A., O.C. and the Bay Area, that's why. Also, I'd take projections made by the Southern California Association of Governments with a grain of salt (those would apply to the IE, not the Central Valley). SCAG has a blatant pro-growth agenda and puffs up population growth numbers.

Not exactly, and that is not even taking into consideration that public transportation to those areas is quite lacking, something to consider in an era when gas is going to only get more expensive. And even if the public transport infrastructure is there, there are all the problems caused by the foreclosure crisis. THAT negates your point.

Home ownership in California has become something for the wealthy. It's disappeared amongst the remaining middle class. Not a big deal - that's how things have been in NYC for decades. Let's face it, there is no rule set in stone that one must live in a single family home.

I will agree that the poor are being pushed out of CA in general.
Yes, the same people who have gone to South Central or Hunter's Point for "affordable housing", because Lancaster or Fairfield are even cheaper than South Central, Hunter's Point, or even West Oakland and Compton....
And who's going to want to live somewhere deep inland and commute coastal when gas is $7 a gallon? The drop in prices right now is only temporary, the calm before the storm be as it may.,

According to a model that is probably not sustainable, considering rising energy costs and shortages.

If this is the case, it's because some safe communities might balance out some extremely dangerous communities, much like L.A. itself. I don't know how much time you've spent in the Antelope Valley but what I've seen is not safe by any means, unless you compare it to Compton, Oakland or Detroit. However I am not denying that some areas of the AV might not be as bad as others.
Okay there is too many faults to point out. First if poor people were only moving Inland...then why does the IE have a higher median income than LA county? Also, gas is not $7. Plus, why did the IE have a higher rate of college educated people moving if only poor people were moving here? Last time I checked, college education and having a faster than national average rate of income growth is more indicative of a middle/upper middle class migration. I might be wrong. Not saying poor people don't move to the suburbs, but saying that it's not the majortiy (had it been, then there would be a decline in these numbers not and increase).

Yeah...the Antelope Valley is safe. By any standards...it meets the average. And no...I'm comparing it to the average city. There is an average still left in the US...not comparing it to Compton. Not because there are stellar areas and horrible areas...but more because the IE and AV are more of a mush of average. There is no Beverly Hills nor Compton in these regions. Plus, you are right, not everyone in CA must live in a single family home...but wait...that's what being built. Then...the majority of people desire to. Companies don't follow majority...oh but they do.

Sorry, but regardless of whether people must or must not buy, people still buy a single family home. I know it's not set in stone, but it's what is liked in SoCal. Again, the job creation is something that is left to be desired. In my generation, however, I have seen jobs move out here. Still more need to come. I'm not denying that. However, to say that NO high end jobs have moved out here is simply false. I will again agree that this is no OC or LA job market.

The point is not about the IE job growth...Isn't the point of this thread ghetto cities of the west coast, or something like that.

I will agree that the poor are being pushed out of CA in general.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:41 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
[LEFT]i keep wonderin why people on this topic keep mentioning tacoma washington? acording to this web site the city is predominant white. they also have a low muder rate just a tad bit higher than the national average. once again "crime rates" inlcude the lesser pettier crime, robberies, larcenies and asualts all of which dont make it one of the worst.

Races in Tacoma:[/LEFT]
  • Black (11.2%)
  • Hispanic (6.9%)
  • American Indian (3.6%)
  • Other race (2.9%)
  • Other Asian (2.2%)
  • Vietnamese (1.9%)
  • Korean (1.4%)
  • Filipino (1.0%)
  • Japanese (0.5%)
What does being predominately White have to do with anything?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
What does being predominately White have to do with anything?

why play the dumb role?? are you taking offense? for what?? when was the last time you heard of a city that was predominately white ranking as one of the most danerous in the country? so once again i need to ask why you sound surprised??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.