Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 190 48.35%
Southern summer 203 51.65%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:10 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times

Advertisements

A friendly reminder folks, the title of the thread is "Which is more UNbearable"...that is, which climate would you care NOT to experience? Just to clarify things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 02:01 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
I would say northern Winter. I love snow and rarely ever see it, but Im pretty miserable when it gets cold even down here and I can much more easily take the Louisiana heat. Our AC down here works very well and I noticed when visiting Virginia that the air conditioning in many places doesnt seem as efficient or necessary. Maybe I just went at a time of moderate temps (actually I think the DC area was experiencing cooler temps than normal). Anyway, you get used to the summer heat and learn to moderate your time outside whe you live down here. Its really not so bad. Drink alot of water and dont stand in direct sunlight for extended periods of time. But you can escape the heat, you cant very well escape the cold.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:09 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Taking into account the worst of both regions, would you rather not tolerate a Northern winter (Fargo), or a Southern summer (Dallas)?
Southern summer.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:42 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
It's not really cold weather that drives bugs away it's the seasons. Bugs disappear during fall and winter regardless of the temperature. Unless your home is infested in them.
why do you think fall is fall and winter is winter? Why do you think the leaves turn brown in fall? because the temperatures go down. and why do you think it snows in winter?because the temps go down even further. so yes it does have to do with temperatures.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
why do you think fall is fall and winter is winter? Why do you think the leaves turn brown in fall? because the temperatures go down. and why do you think it snows in winter?because the temps go down even further. so yes it does have to do with temperatures.
Nope. Atleast not down south for the most part.

In Texas, it can get up to 70 or even 80 degrees for weeks at a time in winter. I have yet to see so much as a spider in the middle of December.

Now when spring arrives, spiders, flies, mosquitoes, and roaches show their faces again.

If anything, its the change in the weather pattern which is seasonal. But its not as cut-and-dry as cold temps=no bugs, and warm temps=bugs.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:50 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
The only reason southern summer is winning right now is because it is summer. Wait til winter IF this poll is still around. People change there opinions based upon what they're going through at that moment. If it's July right now and it's BURNING outside of course you'll choose southern summer. But when they had this poll back in December and January and they had all those ice storms, and they had all that -30 degrees and -40 degrees weather up there, I think that's when northern winters was winning this poll. Not to sure.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Nope. Atleast not down south for the most part.

In Texas, it can get up to 70 or even 80 degrees for weeks at a time in winter. I have yet to see so much as a spider in the middle of December.

Now when spring arrives, spiders, flies, mosquitoes, and roaches show their faces again.

If anything, its the change in the weather pattern which is seasonal. But its not as cut-and-dry as cold temps=no bugs, and warm temps=bugs.
I live in Florida and i still see bugs in the winter time.. Bugs live in environments that fits there needs. some bugs like warm climates so they go where its warm, some don't. i don't think bugs are smart enough to know what month of the year it is, so they can leave and what not. It all has to do with temperatures and the environment. If a bug needs 80 degree weather to survive, thats where it will be, no matter what month it is.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I live in Florida and i still see bugs in the winter time.. Bugs live in environments that fits there needs. some bugs like warm climates so they go where its warm, some don't. i don't think bugs are smart enough to know what month of the year it is, so they can leave and what not. It all has to do with temperatures and the environment. If a bug needs 80 degree weather to survive, thats where it will be, no matter what month it is.
Bugs aren't smart enough to know when the seasons have changed but trees are? It has nothing to do with brains. It's nature.

By your theory, I should see bugs in Texas year round. But I see practically NONE throughout fall and winter. How do you explain that?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Bugs aren't smart enough to know when the seasons have changed but trees are? It has nothing to do with brains. It's nature.

By your theory, I should see bugs in Texas year round. But I see practically NONE throughout fall and winter. How do you explain that?
Trees lose leaves because of the cooler weather! They don't magically change colors and lose there leaves because its a certain month of the year. Most trees where i live stay green all year because the temps don't get too low here in fall/winter. The only time they change color or lose leaves is when we get an overnight freeze, which is rare.

It obviously gets colder than 70s/80s in your winters because trees would not change if it was that warm. and thats why you dont see bugs as often, because its COLDER in the winter than it is in the summers.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Trees lose leaves because of the cooler weather! They don't magically change colors and lose there leaves because its a certain month of the year. Most trees where i live stay green all year because the temps don't get too low here in fall/winter. The only time they change color or lose leaves is when we get an overnight freeze, which is rare.
You must have still been playing with your crayons in kindergarten when they teach you about leaves and seasons. Leaves die and fall off because of the season. Not the temperature. Ask any Texan. They'll tell you that the leaves are brown and falling off before the temp ever gets below 70. but thats anywhere really

And if leaves stay green all year that's because it's an EVERGREEN tree. Duh, man.

Quote:
It obviously gets colder than 70s/80s in your winters because trees would not change if it was that warm. and thats why you dont see bugs as often, because its COLDER in the winter than it is in the summers.
It rarely gets cold here nowadays. Many days can't even classify as being "cool". But bugs still really aren't anywhere to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.