Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:44 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,822 times

Advertisements

I've made up a list of my approximations of the characters of some major U.S. cities. I based my conclusions on: architecture, city structure/layout, demographics, topography, political regions, politics, self-identification, economic trends (both historic and current), and vibe. Obviously there will be disagreement as I certainly don't know everything there is to know about each city. Thus, what do you agree with and disagree with and why? My categorization is as follows:

Boston: East Coast/New England
NYC: East Coast/Mid-Atlantic
Philadelphia: East Coast/Mid-Atlantic
Baltimore: East Coast with Southern Influences
DC: East Coast with Southern Influences
Pittsburgh: Appalachia and East Coast with Midwestern influences
Cleveland: Midwest/Great Lakes
Columbus: Midwest with Appalachian influences
Cincinnati: Midwest with Southern and East Coast influences
Detroit: Midwest/Great Lakes
Indianapolis: Midwest
Chicago: Midwest/Great Lakes with East Coast influences
Milwaukee: Midwest/Great Lakes
St. Louis: Midwest with Southern and East Coast influences
Kansas City: Midwest with Great Plains influences
Minneapolis: Midwest
Charlotte: South Atlantic
Atlanta: South Atlantic
Miami: Caribbean and Southern
Birmingham: South/Deep
New Orleans: Cajun Gulf Coast and Southern
Houston: South/Texas
Dallas: South/Texas with Great Plains and Western influences
Denver: West/Inter-Mountain with Great Plains influences
Phoenix: West/Southwest
Las Vegas: West/Southwest with West Coast influences
San Diego: West Coast/Southern California
Los Angeles: West Coast/Southern California
San Francisco: West Coast/Northern California
Portland: West Coast/Pacific Northwest
Seattle: West Coast/Pacific Northwest

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 12:04 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,966 times
D.C. - Midatlantic with Northern influences
Vegas - Mountains West and Southwestern overrun by California
St. Louis - Plains midwestern with rust belt influences

All the rest look pretty good!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 AM

351 posts, read 649,663 times
Wow. Not gonna lie--that was pretty cool. The only differences I would have are with Chicago which I don't think has any East Coast influence (being hip and urban and business-y doesn't make you eastern) and Columbus which I think is about as midwestern as they come--I don't see the appalachian influences.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Wow. Not gonna lie--that was pretty cool.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
The only differences I would have are with Chicago which I don't think has any East Coast influence (being hip and urban and business-y doesn't make you eastern) and Columbus which I think is about as midwestern as they come--I don't see the appalachian influences.
Now, Columbus is a quintessential Midwestern city. However, I put it down for Appalachian influences because (I believe) the city used to mine for coal in the Appalachian foothills. Some of the architecture on the south side of Columbus seems to reflect this tradition. Though perhaps the influence is negligible at this point.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:27 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
I agree with most of your definitions. But I would suggest three minor changes.

First all "East Coast" should be changed to "Northeast". It simply not fair to southern cities like Norfolk, Charleston, Miami etc that only northern cities are called "East coast". Notice for instance you have both Seattle (northwest) and LA (southwest) listed as West Coast.

IMO Pittsburgh should be listed as "Northeast with Applachian and Midwestern influences" instead of Appalachian and East Coast with Midwestern influences. This is because I see Appalachia culture as strongest in rural and small town areas and weaker in cities.

IMO I would update Cleveland to Midwest/Great Lakes with Northeast influences. Ohio is a border state for the midwest and has northeastern, Appalachian and even southern influences.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I agree with most of your definitions. But I would suggest three minor changes.

First all "East Coast" should be changed to "Northeast". It simply not fair to southern cities like Norfolk, Charleston, Miami etc that only northern cities are called "East coast". Notice for instance you have both Seattle (northwest) and LA (southwest) listed as West Coast.
Fair enough point...the term "Northeast" is undoubtedly more accurate. I use "East Coast" because most associate the Northeast with that term; and I like "South Atlantic" for the southern portion of the East coast. But you're right, East Coast is something of a misnomer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
IMO Pittsburgh should be listed as "Northeast with Applachian and Midwestern influences" instead of Appalachian and East Coast with Midwestern influences. This is because I see Appalachia culture as strongest in rural and small town areas and weaker in cities.

IMO I would update Cleveland to Midwest/Great Lakes with Northeast influences. Ohio is a border state for the midwest and has northeastern, Appalachian and even southern influences.
For Cleveland, again, I agree that there seems to be a minor Northeastern influence (particularly in demographics where the metro has 9% Italian [with 6% being the national average] in addition to a larger than average Jewish population). Youngstown is the same way, as Northeastern Ohio used to claimed by Connecticut.

Now what would you suggest for Louisville, Buffalo, San Antonio and Tampa?

I don't know anything about San Antonio, and Buffalo confuses me. When I look at Buffalo, I see Great Lakes architecture and demographics, but I greatly hesitate to label a city Midwest that undoubtedly associates with the Northeast.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
I think Houston has just a little bit of a Southwestern influence.
Also, because of the strong Black American population and how many other races still have strong ties there, I would say Chicago has a slight Southern influence as well.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:33 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,702 times
I agree 100% with Pittsburgh, except it should be Northeast instead of East Coast, for previously stated reasons. Pittsburgh is thoroughly Appalachian, as Appalachia's only metropolis, unless you count Knoxville, which I don't.

Edit- add Richmond, which is Mid-Atlantic with Southern influences and always has been.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:39 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
Las Vegas and Phoenix. Southwest will do. West adds no value. Actually little commonality with Denver.

Phoenix: Southwest
Las Vegas: Southwest with West Coast conflicting with Midwest influences

Phoenix actually has a touch of that conflict as well - but not as strong. I would also buy Las Vegas as simply southwest...but as soon as you note the west coast influence you need to add the midwest influence. And they do conflict in Las Vegas.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Phoenix: Southwest
Las Vegas: Southwest with West Coast conflicting with Midwest influences

Phoenix actually has a touch of that conflict as well - but not as strong. I would also buy Las Vegas as simply southwest...but as soon as you note the west coast influence you need to add the midwest influence. And they do conflict in Las Vegas.
That's interesting. I've never heard anyone say Las Vegas has a Midwest influence. What leads you to such a conclusion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.