Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 10:18 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times

Advertisements

He maybe should have said the majority of Americans aren't obese. Whether being merely overweight is even bad for you is debatable. (Obesity is, but simply being in the "overweight range" seems to vary depending on why you are in that range and how far and so forth)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 12:52 AM

10 posts, read 12,577 times
When I was over in the USA/Canada they dont broadcast international news much at all, A big earthquake hit in 2004 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I heard about the news second hand by a another tourist a few days later after it happened, I did see it on the news a few days later after it happened only a small news report though.

I had to remember to look the other direction to cross the road, you can turn right on Red lights. Softdrink comes in massive cups, same for food massive amount. Money Notes are made of paper. Tipping as well, felt a bit odd at first, but I got used to it.

I would like to go back to the USA and visit more places one day.

Thanks

Last edited by RocketT; 09-15-2010 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: Update

Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 AM

517 posts, read 1,319,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketT View Post
When I was over in the USA/Canada they dont broadcast international news much at all, A big earthquake hit in 2004
Quote:
2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I heard about the news second hand by a another tourist a few days later after it happened, I did see it on the news a few days later after it happened only a small news report though.

I had to remember to look the other direction to cross the road, you can turn right on Red lights. Softdrink comes in massive cups, same for food massive amount. Money Notes are made of paper. Tipping as well, felt a bit odd at first, but I got used to it.

Thanks
Hmm that's strange because I remember that being all over the news in America, it was a huge story here. What news stations were you watching?

Old 09-15-2010, 01:11 AM

10 posts, read 12,577 times
I cant remember the station I was watching, there are so many channels compared to the 5 FTA I get.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,375,961 times
For a french like me it's "the size effect" : the USA are so big..Great country, big cities, so many tall skyscrapers, so many landscapes..In France things are pretty small, traditional it's pretty shocking

And the diversity too.Here we have immigrants but it's a small immigration and mostly arab...In the US it's a massive immigration, so many beliefs, races and ethnicities..Just very impressive !

Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Quote:
When I was over in the USA/Canada they dont broadcast international news much at all, A big earthquake hit in 2004 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Thanks
Really!? I was back in my small hometown in Iowa and that was still front page news everywhere. Not sure what you were watching where the top story wasn't the tsunami for days on end.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:11 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I would like to hear some interesting stories from people who grew up abroad...What shocked you the most about the US, its culture and people? Please include which country you are from and what you expected the US to be like. I love hearing these stories from people. Thank you very much.
I have befriended several girls who are au pairs here in the United States. The first thing girls from countries like Brasil, South Africa, and Bolivia notice are the cars...the cars in the United States are often in great condition (relative to what they see) and much higher quality (Benz, Land Rover, etc).

My girlfriend said that if her and her friends see a Mercedes driving down the street in Sao Paulo, it has a "wow" factor (like if we see a Ferrari or Lamborghini). When she got here, her host family gave her a Range Rover to drive and she was mind-blown. Another girl from S.Africa got a new Saab convertible and felt the same way.

It's funny because to us (Americans) we see a $75,000 Benz and we think "nice car", but to some of them it's like "Oh my god a Mercedes Benz!!" haha.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
So, any foreigner ever been up close and personal with a tornado?

Old 09-17-2010, 06:37 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
So, any foreigner ever been up close and personal with a tornado?
This native has never been up close and personal with a tornado. So, I'd consider it somewhat amazing if a foreigner was "lucky" enough to experience a tornado first hand.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,097,560 times
Our current runs at around 120 volts while in Europe it is mostly 220 volts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.