Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 11:14 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times

Advertisements

^ it's not.

I've been to Europe about 25 times to almost every country and it's always roughly the same as far as the groups that congregate together. Gay neighborhoods, the "artsy" bohemian neighborhoods.

They're the result of rational social behavior among people who have certain aspects in common. People go where they're comfortable, where there are people around them with similar ideas and missions, and where they can "bloom" more freely and with more support.

I've been to Boystown in Chicago more times than I can count - and the description there is a little offensive, and obviously naive/ignorant. People go to relax and be free with their actions and discussions, the way they carry themselves in public. Keeping AWAY from straight people has nothing to do with it. It's not like gay people dislike straight people any more than I might dislike a right handed person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:24 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,658 times
I think what has shocked foreigners that I have met here is that America is actually a pretty cool place and that the stereotypes of America and Americans are insanely exaggerated and/or false altogether.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:11 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Maybe next time you can explain to them that the media only showed the bad parts.
Maybe next time you can explain that people ignored repeated warnings to leave.
Maybe next time you can explain that people showed up in masses to help.
Maybe next time you can explain that local government failed it's own people and by the time the federal government had a chance to get there everybody was blaming them
Maybe next time you can explain that there were just so many helicoptors and rescue vehicles and many many more people.
Maybe next time you can explain that this desperation didn't go unheeded like the media portrayed.
Maybe next time you can explain that some of the recuers came under fire from the residents there when they tried to help.
Maybe next time you can help them figure out a different plan.

Maybe next time you won't believe just the media.
Do you know what FEMA is? The purpose of FEMA is to respond in such situations. Whether or not local government failed, FEMA should've been on top of things.

I didn't realize Republicans were such defenders of the federal government. ???

Old 11-23-2009, 04:17 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Here's a sample search page for homes in Sugar Land

Sugar Land real estate & Sugar Land homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops,3 Bedrooms - REALTOR.com®

Considering what the same amount of money buys you in a major city, I'd say those houses are pretty big. Missouri City, and a lot of the North Dallas 'burbs are the same way. It's one of the major reasons I'm considering trying to head out that way after school.
I've never understood the fascination with huge houses...I mean, how much space do you really need? (Unless, of course, you have 5,6,7...kids.)

Old 11-23-2009, 05:14 PM

10 posts, read 15,311 times
Telling an American im from England and them automatically assuming im from London haha.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:43 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,437 times
So? every time I tell an English person I'm from New York they assume I'm from New York City.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:42 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
I met a couple of guys from Korea at my work today and they were pretty surprised at how crazy the U.S. (Oregon specifically) alcohol laws were. I had to card them and they had to go back out to their car and get their passports before I could sell beer and wine to them.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:23 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,770 times
Billboards

Old 11-25-2009, 07:28 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
Billboards
Try Italy

Old 11-26-2009, 07:11 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
How overweight so many Americans are. How lazy they are and won't walk anywhere, even if there is a sidewalk. Want to drive everywhere. Also that many Americans don't even know where some of the states locations are. Canada being right above the USA, many don't know the names of maybe 1 or 2 provinces if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.