Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:11 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina. End of story.
This is what I think too.

How can only part of North Carolina be "The South", refering to the first original post?

Last edited by ITChick; 04-22-2007 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-22-2007, 06:12 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,576,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
As for adamantly Southern, as in no one could possibly deny the state's Southerness, the choices would be Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas.

I would count in Kentucky, parts of Texas and parts of Arkansas, and the Florida panhandle. I've lived all over the North and the South, I lived for two years in MD, and it didn't "feel" Southern until I crossed the state line into NC. WV came close, but didn't feel quite Southern either, although it's not a lot like VA or MD.
Actually, for reasons unknown to me, Louisiana is debated.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:14 PM

Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
This is what I think too.

How can only part of North Carolina be "The South", refering to the first original post?
So you see, in 6 pages, this is the only set of states that has been agreed upon by more than one person.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:02 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Actually, for reasons unknown to me, Louisiana is debated.
I'm with you on this. Louisiana is as southern as any of the others, as far as I'm concerned. Yet, it often gets left out when describing the deep south. Maybe it's the French influence? I'm not sure. I think Louisiana is a great state, despite all its problems.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I'm with you on this. Louisiana is as southern as any of the others, as far as I'm concerned. Yet, it often gets left out when describing the deep south. Maybe it's the French influence? I'm not sure. I think Louisiana is a great state, despite all its problems.
Yeah, I never understood why a state isn't considered "really southern" just because of its strong foreign influence. As if the south is supposed to be composed of nothing but whites and blacks.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:22 PM

413 posts, read 2,561,203 times
Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas

Its called the Deep South and I agree. Other things like Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky are more appalachia/ozarkish fringe states.

Its the Bonnie Blue Flag states minus stuff that has become more northern like Virginia. Shame Virginia was the heart of the Confederacy and now Richmond has become home to development houses and big yucky banks like Capital One can you tell i hate them lol

Old 04-23-2007, 07:24 AM

26 posts, read 101,998 times
I still include Maryland and Delaware in the south even though I'm from NC. They are still southern states outside of the Philadelphia-DC Beltway. Obviously no one here has been to the eastern shore of Maryland or downstate DE.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:25 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTarheels View Post
I still include Maryland and Delaware in the south even though I'm from NC. They are still southern states outside of the Philadelphia-DC Beltway. Obviously no one here has been to the eastern shore of Maryland or downstate DE.
Yep.100% agree. But people only equate to the entire state of Maryland as the Baltimore area and Southern Maryland. There are other parts of the state. Especially VA. Oh and like i said. Visit other various boards, many consider Texas a southern state, many don't. Especially along the southeast (which Texas is not in).

Old 04-23-2007, 07:38 AM

26 posts, read 101,998 times
The whole state of Maryland is southern, less so in the Beltway from DC-Philly but still it is almost always considered to be the beggining of the south.

For me the North eastern states are New York and New England (Maybe North Jersey too) Pennsylvania is not the northeast (At least most of it)because too much of the state straddles the heartland, the midwest and south, I would call PA a border state at best or Mid Atlantic, like South Jersey. Also most maps curve the coasts to try to simulate the earth's curvature, making the coasts look much higher up than they really are. The northern tip of ME is actually more than 300 miles south of the northern tip of MN.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Visit other various boards, many consider Texas a southern state, many don't. Especially along the southeast (which Texas is not in).
Yes, TX is geographically "south-central" while New Mexico is solidly "south-west."

IMHO it seems strange calling any parts of the south that use Central Standard Time "south-eastern." I've also seen books on the "south-central U.S." which include TX, OK, AR and LA.

At the very minimum, "Eastern-anything" type labels should stop at the Mississippi River.

Another thing strange is I saw a post asking is the Gulf Coast part of the East or West Coast. The obvious answer is neither; it's just the Gulf Coast. However it could be considered a South Coast.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 04-23-2007 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.