Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 02:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

New York City - Never visited,but dense urban cities aren't my thing. I could maybe live on Long Island.

Seattle - Isolated

Boston - I've never really cared about it. I should visit though first.

Miami - Great place to visit, but living there is not for me.

Detroit - Obivously; however, the women there is tempting me.

Certain things I take into cisderation when moving to a city is the people, crime, economy, and activities. The people is the biggest thing to me though; if the people annoy me and or stuck up. I'll hate the city for it.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:01 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,545 times
I absolutely love visiting New York City, but I could never see myself actually living there.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Nothing north of the Rappahannock River in Virginia or west of the Mississippi River

Old 01-01-2010, 07:15 PM

160 posts, read 498,949 times
Out of the 50 largest cities I broke them down into four groups:

Would Love to live In:
Bayside area of Queens, NY
Houston
Dallas
San Diego
Atlanta
Miami
Oakland

Would Like to live in:
Chicago
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Cleveland

Wouldn't Mind Living in:
Phoenix
Philadelphia
San Antonio
San Jose
Jacksonville
Austin
Columbus
Fort Worth
Charlotte
Baltimore
Boston
Denever
Seattle
D.C
Las Vegas

No Way in Hell:
Almost all of NYC
Detroit
Indianapolis
Memphis
El Paso
Milwaukee
Nashville
Portland
Louisville
Oklahoma City
Tucscon
Albuquerque
Kansas City
Fresno
Sacramento
Omaha
Virginia Beach
Raleigh
Tulsa
Minneappolis
Colorado Springs
Honolulu
Arlington

Old 01-01-2010, 07:34 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Let's do it the other way around.

There are only 4 cities as a native english speaker not fluent in any other language I would *prefer* living in realistically i.e. for the long term and to put roots down in north america or europe and those are london, toronto, new york and chicago.
I'd likely find issues with other cities I wouldn't like, not big enough, not urban, bad public trans, lifestyle, cultural, provincial, niche, etc.
Living in other cities for small amounts of time is cool though, there is a lot to like about many cities when you are just "visiting" or there for shorter amounts of time.
I've been to pretty much every major city in north america and western europe so, I kina know what I want.

Last edited by grapico; 01-01-2010 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 08:22 PM

49 posts, read 98,131 times
Cleveland; that place was so gray and depressing the few times I've been through.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:32 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian of The Gulf View Post
Out of the 50 largest cities I broke them down into four groups:

Would Love to live In:
Bayside area of Queens, NY

What specifically about Bayside do you like? I ask because you say no other parts of NYC, but there are definitely a few other parts of the city that are just as nice, if not nicer, than Bayside.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:37 PM

Well I would consider living in communities like Bayside, Forrest Hills, Queens is supposed to be nice? Riverdale in the Bronx? Brooklyn Heights? I like the fact that Bayside is right on the water and that it is suburban-like, low-crime rate, nice apartments, and affordable.

I guess I spoke too soon but I wouldn't want to live in Manhattan due to all of the congestion and cost of living, most of the Bronx is too high crime, staten island is isolated and weird in my opinon. So I would live in the nicer parts of Queens and Brooklyn.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:55 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian of The Gulf View Post
Well I would consider living in communities like Bayside, Forrest Hills, Queens is supposed to be nice? Riverdale in the Bronx? Brooklyn Heights? I like the fact that Bayside is right on the water and that it is suburban-like, low-crime rate, nice apartments, and affordable.

I guess I spoke too soon but I wouldn't want to live in Manhattan due to all of the congestion and cost of living, most of the Bronx is too high crime, staten island is isolated and weird in my opinon. So I would live in the nicer parts of Queens and Brooklyn.
Yeah, well, Bayside has more in common with Nassau county Long Island than most of NYC, lol. So I can understand that. Bayside is nice.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, well, Bayside has more in common with Nassau county Long Island than most of NYC, lol. So I can understand that. Bayside is nice.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I was born in Lennox Hill and think NYC is a great city, just wouldn't want to live there for the most part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.