Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:50 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, here is what WedMD has to say: Circumcision: Get the Facts, Benefits, Risks & More
Here is a more recent post from WebMD.

CDC Endorses Circumcision for Health Reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Circumcision rates in this country are falling. I believe it's about 50/50, maybe even less now. In most other countries, people do not circumcise. My husband is circumcised, but we opted to leave our son intact. We have NO regrets. It's his body, and cutting off a piece of his genitals just didn't seem right. If he wants to be circumcised later on in life, it will be HIS choice.
Sorry, but that is just ridiculous. If it is his body do you let him choose what foods to put in it? If he wants cake and ice cream, no vegetables do you let him?

Medical evidence continues to mount over the health benefits of circumcision. By the time he is old enough to make his "own" decision it may be to late to prevent whatever affliction he has.

It is completely irrelevant what the rest of the world does. That is the equivalent of your teen saying, "well all my friends do.... (fill in blank with unwise activity)" and then you reply, "well if they jumped off a cliff, would you jump too"? If the benefits are there some other country doing it or not doing it do not effect the benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
My question is, if *not* being circumcised is so harmful and causes all these diseases and infections why did males evolve to include it? I think the idea of being circumcised as being more healthy is almost completely without merit. Sure, if as an adult you start to have a problem then by all means get yourself circumcised but the vast majority of men out there don't need it. There are whole countries of mostly un-circumcised men who have *somehow* survived *and* been found attractive to their partners.

I agree that circumcision is purely a cultural norm and its changing in the U.S. Anyone who gets this procedure done on their son isn't doing him any favors.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/...tsheet-508.pdf

The medical evidence continues to pile up on the benefits of circumcision.

Why do I think that so many of the virulent "no circumcision" people are the the same ones who mock skeptics on global warming for not believing the scientific evidence staring them in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:53 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
It seems like a pointless and weird procedure with no real basis outside of religion.
I don't understand why so many non jewish americans have been circumcised. However, I don't really care enough to look into the matter.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:04 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I believe the studies have shown that :

Circumcision prevents phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin at an age when it should normally be retractable), paraphimosis (the painful inability to return the foreskin to its original location), and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the ***** and foreskin).
Circumcision increases the chance of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis).
Circumcision may result in a decreased incidence of urinary tract infections.
Circumcision may result in a lower incidence of sexually transmitted diseases and may reduce HIV transmission.
Circumcision may lower the risk for cancer of the cervix in sexual partners.
Circumcision may decrease the risk for cancer of the penis.
It falls along the lines of Tonsuls to me. My cousin had it done as an adult due to one of the issues above. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) reversed their position on it a few years ago. And the World Heath Organization has seen a 60% reduction in STDs/AIDS transmission with Circumcision. Looks like there is plenty of good reasons for it.

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opin...ted-over-years

http://www.who.int/reproductivehealt...9241596169/en/

Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
The girl thing isn't quit a myth either. I know several 20something girls who have a preference for cut. I'm not saying you can't get laid or that you won't find a gf or wife or whatever if you don't have it done, but if you took a poll based on nothing but that then cut would be the clear winner. Fortunately that's not what most things are based on so it's rarely an issue for anyone and even if it was you may not know or care, not everyone is willing to talk about it. It's only discussed not among more OUTGOING women...lol.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:12 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
I am not doubting it feels better to be uncut if you're a guy. More skin = more nerves, but the thing is you will have less of a chance of feeling anything because no girl will touch that
Beg to differ as my son has no problem in the ladies department. He's an uncircumcised white young twentysomething of ordinary appearance.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:12 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
My question is, if *not* being circumcised is so harmful and causes all these diseases and infections why did males evolve to include it? I think the idea of being circumcised as being more healthy is almost completely without merit. Sure, if as an adult you start to have a problem then by all means get yourself circumcised but the vast majority of men out there don't need it. There are whole countries of mostly un-circumcised men who have *somehow* survived *and* been found attractive to their partners.

I agree that circumcision is purely a cultural norm and its changing in the U.S. Anyone who gets this procedure done on their son isn't doing him any favors.
There are other things our bodies have that we don't *need* like an appendix or wisdom teeth. Wisdom teeth are surgically removed regularly before problems arise as a preventive measure. I think if appendix removal wasn't so invasive, they might be removed as a preventative measure as well. We needed those things in the past, but have evolved to where they aren't necessary and are now sometimes problematic. Foreskin may have been very useful in the past, but with us evolving to wear clothes (protection from environment), sanitary water, soap and increased cleanliness and modern medicine, now the need for foreskin has diminished and may be more problematic than useful. As I said, we did it for preventitve measures and don't regret it for a second, but if you choose not to, that's your choice and I couldn't care less .

Old 04-14-2015, 01:31 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times
Quote:
I am circumcised, my sons will be too, and from being in locker rooms and doing sports all throughout HS I have never seen a white person who isn't, and every girl I know considers uncut to be a turn off. If you are white and you don't want your son to be a the "wierd penis guy" in the locker room and to not be humiliated during his first sexual encounter when the girl says "ewww" then do it. If you don't, he will want to do it but be too scared to do it. There is no science behind it, it's just better looking and a cultural norm here amongst white people in the United States. It's easier maintenance, there is no pulling anything back you just clean it the same way you clean your thumb.
Depends if you live around Protestants or Jews/Catholics. Most people in the Northeast are circumsized.. Many in the South aren't.

I for one think it's a barbaric act.. We don't slice off the labia off women's parts.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:32 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times
Quote:
I think it actually looks nauseating uncut, like a cucumber wearing an oversized turtleneck. I actually knew a girl when I was in senior year who dumped her boyfriend because he was an immigrant from Ireland and uncut and he wouldn't get the snip
Why are you staring at other guy's penises?

Old 04-14-2015, 01:45 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,299,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
Why are you staring at other guy's penises?
Like i said....he can't help it!

Old 04-14-2015, 01:55 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,928 times
My husband had to be cut at age 27. It was Very painful, and during the healing he popped a stitch or two. I secretly hated that he hadn't been cut, the looks the smell. He had all kinds of trouble until he had it done, and wished his mom had had it done for him as a baby. Its hard to go into details and stay clean, but it'd dry up, crack and become so tight he couldn't pull the skin back.

One benefit I'd think is lasting longer, for those men who don't want to lose nerve endings. I knew a guy who went without undies to purposely make it less sensitive for that reason. lol I had both of my sons cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates