Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 07:37 PM

519 posts, read 597,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.
how do you know what the intruder's intentions were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 08:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Situations like this - where the homeowner takes out an intruder - should always be a cut & dry case of self-defense.
There is some exceptions to that, that guy that baited the teenager for example. That was just murder.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:36 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
I'm gonna wait 15-39 minutes for police to come after I call 911??

Mr Glock says no

Old 04-30-2015, 08:39 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Attached Thumbnails
home owner shoots and kills home burglar should he be prosecuted?-glock-small-.jpg  

Old 04-30-2015, 08:42 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.
Nah, No way. I would shoot them in a heart beat. No place in society for these people. Thinking likeyou do is the reason we have so many of them today.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:45 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Quote:
You really have no idea what you're talking about and from what you're saying, you've never been the victim of any crime.

Let us know if you can predict if the intruder is going to rape the women in the house, beat the men to death, etc.

If you can really predict the intentions of another human being, why aren't you filthy rich now?

Attitudes like yours are why criminals seem to have more rights than victims these days.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:58 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It is a homicide. The prosecutor has to decide if there's enough evidence for a jury to support the man's claim to self-defense (or whatever defense the man's lawyer is contemplating) and what the political and career (his) fall out will be if he does/doesn't prosecute and doesn't get a conviction if he does prosecute.

Pretty well everyone should know by now, what constitutes an armed individual compared to a burglar. I prefer a 12 gauge Tactical Short Barrel Pump with #4 buck shot, and laser sight, just to give them a sporting chance. A burglar found in my house, after the fact, will always be armed and was indeed a threat.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:08 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You really have no idea what you're talking about and from what you're saying, you've never been the victim of any crime.

Attitudes like yours are why criminals seem to have more rights than victims these days.
Agreed. These types of attitudes are why criminals are able to get away with so much these days. Sickening.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:24 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:

How can you tell if the intruder was physically gonna harm the family/home owner or not? What are you gonna go by the word of the intruder? You don't know them, you don't know what they're capable of or if they actually DO have a weapon!

I wouldn't shoot to kill, but I would shoot to harm. No I don't think you should DIE for stealing a TV or jewellry, but I ain't gonna weep at your funeral if you did. Don't wanna get bitten? Stay outta the snake pit! No sympathy for burglars. Also, if someone stole jewellry from me that had more sentimental value than monetary, like a necklace my late grandmother made for me or something, I would definitely be enraged and upset. Far more than if they took a very replaceable television screen.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
I knew the gun huggers would dislike my post. But, nope I still don't think a PERSON should die just because they are trying to steal things. Trying to physically harm you, yes protect yourself. And if you are as handy with your weapon as you all claim to be, you should be able to properly assess the situation before you start firing off a bunch of rounds.

Why should the person be prosecuted? Because there are too many factors to say that anyone gets to shoot whoever they want just because they are inside their house. That is a dangerous route to take. Also, that person you killed has a family and they deserve closure. That person could be a lifelong criminal or a teenager who is a first time offender. Where was the person shot? In the front or the back? Because if he is shot in the back, particularly near an exit or from far away, that means the intruder was trying to get away and of no threat to the homeowner. Do they really deserve to die for running away? No. Was the intruder armed? Did the intruder approach the homeowner? Those are grounds for protecting yourself so fire away.

If you put a gun to an intruder one of three things will happen. One, they will wait at gunpoint until the police arrives, two, they will try to run or three they will try to attack you. Only the third scenario requires an actual firing of your weapon and again if you are as good with your gun as you all claim to be, a shot to a limb should keep them at bay until the cops arrive.

This is not a black or white, yes or no situation. And we shouldn't continue to let people get away with murder under the guise of self-protection. You should have to PROVE you were in actual danger, that your life was truly threatened.

I wonder how you would feel if your teenager or other family member made a one time stupid mistake (perfect people raise your hands) and wound up dead because some trigger happy nut was "defending his/her property." You can teach your kids all you want, but when they are out with their friends and feel that group pressure, sometimes they get caught up in moment and make a bad decision. It happens. And they shouldn't die because of it.
Umm, I'm not perfect myself, but not ONCE did I think of burglarising someone's house. I even got upset at my cousin for shoplifting batteries from Home Depot. You don't have to be perfect to not rob someone. As if no teenager anywhere has robbed or even murdered or raped. Call me cold and or heartless, but I think it's GOOD for a teenage burglar to be shot. Maybe not killed, but shot. Maybe then he or she might reconsider their pathway in life. I'm pretty damn liberal in most issues, but come on dude! You're one of those far left apologetic wusses, which are just as bad as the aggressive right wing trigger happy gun-nut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates