Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:13 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times

Advertisements

The subjec is Gun Control. Its the one part of the post I cannot edit.

I was raised with guns in the house. They were unloaded, cased and secured, and kept seperate from the ammunition that was stored in locked cases and also secured. Guns have a place in polite society. They feed us and protect us and control animal population. Skeet and competition shooting is as much a sport as falconry. I have no problem with the Constution that guarantees us the right to bear arms. I lived long enough that I understand the problems of cattle theft, poaching, the threat of large wild animals and the fox in the hen house.

I have a friend who lived in Alaska where he trapped and hunted. He is never unarmed. He has a large collection of antique and collectible knives and guns. They are secured, out of sight. and out of the reach of children.

What I fail to undestand is why some gun owners refuse to secure guns when children and unauthorized users are in the house.

Do we need gun control? .

Last edited by linicx; 09-10-2009 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: script

Old 09-09-2008, 06:08 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The subjec is Gun Control. Its the one part of thpaost I cannot edit.

I was raised with guns in the house. They were unloaded, cased and secured, and kept seperate from the ammunition that was stored in locked cases and also secured. Guns have a place in polite society. They feed us and protect us and control animal population. Skeet and competition shooting is as much a sport as falconry. I have no problem with the Constution that guarantees us the right to bear arms. I lived long enough that I understand the problems of cattle theft, poaching, the threat of large wild animals and the fox in the hen house.

I have a friend who lived in Alaska where he trapped and hunted. He is never unarmed. He has a large collection of antique and collectible knives and guns. They are secured, out of sight. and out of the reach of children.

What I fail to undestand is why some gun owners refuse to secure guns when children and unauthorized users are in the house.

Do we need gun control? .
linicx, when I was a kid, my dad kept loaded guns around. He always said that an unloaded gun is useless. A person who is a threat to your life won't wait for you to load the gun up to use it on him.

My brother and I knew where they were at. We would never dream of touching them when my dad wasn't around for fear of getting a serious beating. We definitely don't need more laws, we need more intelligent people and better behaved children.

I am very happy for the recent ruling from the Supreme court guaranteeing our individual rights to bear arms.

We've had lots of gun control and laws and where has it gotten us. Law abiding citizens are disarmed and criminals still possess guns.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:46 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I am all for responsible gun ownership. It sometimes seems, though, that the most irresponsible people are the ones who own guns. A few of them are even drug addicts and alcoholics; these are the ones who shoot off their toes (or worse) when they forget to take all of the bullets out of the gun before they start cleaning it.

I would never have a gun in my house when my children were growing up. Even if they're gun savvy, what about their friends? I don't think that testosterone, alcohol, and guns are a good mix, either.

Guns can also give a person a false sense of security. You may not be as invested in learning other forms of self defense.

Once you've drawn a gun on someone (an intruder, for example), you can't change your mind. You have committed yourself to the possibility of violence. If you have a pistol, and he and his accomplice both have guns, you're now out gunned. What do you do? Say "sorry"?

I also have no problem with certain types of guns being outlawed. Do you really need an M-16 to go hunting? Automatic machine guns only have one purpose - to kill lot of people in as short an amount of time as possible. No, I don't want my neighbor owning a gun like that.

I think there should be an I.Q. test that a potential gun owner has to pass before he or she is allowed access to firearms. That will probably never happen, as the "right to bear arms" is such an ingrained part of American culture, but it would definitely solve a lot of problems! I think there should be "intelligence control" combined with a small amount of gun control.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
I was raised in a house with guns...Always loaded but cased up and locked. My dad was an avid hunter. He would take me to turkey shoots and hunting with him and his pals...He taught us gun responsibility and we never dreamed of touching his guns...

For the past 4 years we lived in Detroit. My husband is a pathologist and perfoms autopsies for a living...amoung other things...
The amount of young people getting shot to death is astounding...not shot once but being peppered with bullets for no reason what so ever...and the use of AK-47's is scarey and common in Detroit.

I am against banning guns but I do believe there should be some kind of massive contol. Maybe a process you have to go through that entails a quite a few steps...I just don't think the lower class of people using these guns would go through a process like that...Most of them have criminal records already.

I just think if you a hunter or even a responsible person who wants to carry a gun, just follow the steps to get one...I don't think it is that big of a deal. No banning...

Old 09-09-2008, 07:51 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
I am against banning guns but I do believe there should be some kind of massive contol. Maybe a process you have to go through that entails a quite a few steps...I just don't think the lower class of people using these guns would go through a process like that...Most of them have criminal records already.
What you fail to address is the point that if they're criminals, they aren't going to care if they have a legal weapon or not. Guns will always be available, legally or otherwise. If you impose "massive control" on gun ownership, only law-abiding citizens are going to honor those steps. The gangstas are still going to get shot up, and the criminals will still have guns.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:01 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
I do not think that registered gun owners are the problem. Unregistered guns are the problem. Guns with obliterated serial numbers are also a problem

Man Charged After Police Seize 23 Unregistered Guns - News Story - WMAQ | Chicago

Gun Guys » Tracing the Path of an Illegal Handgun

Cop to be Sentenced for Selling Unregistered Guns - San Diego 6 (http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=61f60df7-e427-4fbf-ba9b-080766b5be2f - broken link)

There are many cases of children that find and play with guns but I do not believe that they are the problem. All of the laws that are passed are not targeting the problem. Although, I do not see why someone needs to own a military weapon as a civilian.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:14 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
What you fail to address is the point that if they're criminals, they aren't going to care if they have a legal weapon or not. Guns will always be available, legally or otherwise. If you impose "massive control" on gun ownership, only law-abiding citizens are going to honor those steps. The gangstas are still going to get shot up, and the criminals will still have guns.
Well, you have to start somewhere... You can make it harder for them to get guns. Maybe increase the consequences if criminals are found with unregistered guns...

I live in Pittsburgh right now and it is a super nice and safe place. Detroit is really just a mess... Young people shoot at cars on the expressway for fun... I know there will never be a 100% control over gangstas with guns but something needs to be put in effect...

Old 09-09-2008, 08:31 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Well, you have to start somewhere... You can make it harder for them to get guns. Maybe increase the consequences if criminals are found with unregistered guns...
What consequences would you suggest? Build more prisons in order to make room for these offenders? Thing is, it's never going to be hard to get a gun, just like it will never be difficult to get illegal drugs. If gun control laws went into effect, and I was ordered to surrender my weapons, you know what I'd do? I'd go turn them in like a good little law-abiding citizen, and then I'd hit the streets and have myself an untraceable weapon within the hour, because I refuse to be without some sort of home protection.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
My husband and I both grew up with guns in the house. His family lives in OR and go hunting every year. Of course the guns were used mostly for duck hunting, because for deer they would use their bows. He learned all about gun safety.

My stepfather went hunting once in awhile. There were guns in our house. I was taught some gun safety, but had no intrest at all in even touching the guns. Nowdays I will.

We have 4 guns in our house, a 9MM (clip is loaded and next to gun in nightstand), a 38 revolver that husband must carry at work (provided by company), a 12 gauge shotgun (unloaded, with a barrel lock) and an old SKS that was given to my husband by his grandfather (unloaded, with a barrel lock).

I do wish my husband would go hunting again so that we wouldn't have to buy as much meat, but with his school and work schedule, there isn't really time for him to fit in hunting as well. I don't recall the SKS or shotgun being discharged at all in the last 7 years, although he keeps them clean and oiled.

I think everyone should have to go through a gun safety class, even if there are no guns in their house. That way if they ever are in a house with a gun they won't be thinking "Hey a cool new toy. I wonder how it works?"

Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
It isn't the game hunter who takes their rifle to rob stores, break into people's homes or shoot someone in the street because they are wearing the wrong colored bandana. Why should these responsible hunters be penalized or hobby threatened due to punks in the street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates