Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 01:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times

Advertisements

LoL, somehow with all the patting on each other's back in the past posts here I feel kinda 'ignored'.
Hopefully certain people have finally learned to ignore other people's posts if they don't like the content or tone in it instead of immediately calling a poster a troll simply because they don't share his opinion.

Oh, 1 very small detail:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
For 20+ years we spared over gun control
I assume you meant sparred and note spared.
Not bad for a foreigner eh?

Carry on.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:58 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default and, we have a winner!

Hey Tin: congrats! ding ding Ding!

You got this thread's "Millenium" post! (#1000).

Good on yah, mate!

Old 02-28-2009, 04:38 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Hey Tin: congrats! ding ding Ding!

You got this thread's "Millenium" post! (#1000).

Good on yah, mate!

Yep,
Reckon that & $2.25 will get me a large coffee in the morning.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:54 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Yep,
Reckon that & $2.25 will get me a large coffee in the morning.
or maybe a box of free ammunition!

EDIT: which would imply that you get to keep the $2.50...

Old 02-28-2009, 05:52 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
What you fail to address is the point that if they're criminals, they aren't going to care if they have a legal weapon or not. Guns will always be available, legally or otherwise. If you impose "massive control" on gun ownership, only law-abiding citizens are going to honor those steps. The gangstas are still going to get shot up, and the criminals will still have guns.
You will have situations that they now see in Formerly Great Britain and Australia, where home invasions and other assaults, particularly against the elderly who are most in need of an "equalizer," increased by huge numbers because the bad guys are armed, the good guys aren't, and the do-gooders don't care.

It's against the law to defend yourself in England, and farmers in Australia have gone to prison for harming thugs who attacked them.
So gun control is all about safety for the people. Ha!

It's all about controlling populations. That is exactly why the Founders put the second in there. They knew human nature, and it can be very ugly.

People like Schumer who claim it's all about safety are simply liars. He's protected by Capitol Police and probably bodyguards, so why worry about the proles? Expendable!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit
Quote:
It's all about controlling populations. That is exactly why the Founders put the second in there. They knew human nature, and it can be very ugly.
Wow, you make it sound as if your Founders have a lot in common with Nazi Germany where they tried to exterminate German Jews and German Gypsies and the German disabled people to create more Lebensraum*.
I don't see how more guns will help.
And isn't the cause of Hitler's rise not that Germany was crippled by the war debt of WWI?

Quote:
*Lebensraum (German for "habitat" or literally "living space") served as a major motivation for Nazi Germany's territorial aggression. In his book, Mein Kampf, Adolf Hitler detailed his belief that the German people needed Lebensraum (for a Grossdeutschland, "Greater Germany," or land and raw materials), and that it should be taken in the East. It was the stated policy of the Nazis to kill, deport, or enslave the Polish, Russian, and other Slavic populations, whom they regarded as Untermenschen ("inferior peoples"), and to repopulate the land with reinrassig ("pure breed") Germanic peoples. The entire urban population was to be exterminated by starvation, thus creating an agricultural surplus to feed Germany and allowing their replacement by a German upper class.
Source: Lebensraum - New World Encyclopedia

Old 03-01-2009, 02:12 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
You will have situations that they now see in Formerly Great Britain and Australia, where home invasions and other assaults, particularly against the elderly who are most in need of an "equalizer," increased by huge numbers because the bad guys are armed, the good guys aren't, and the do-gooders don't care.

It's against the law to defend yourself in England, and farmers in Australia have gone to prison for harming thugs who attacked them.
So gun control is all about safety for the people. Ha!

People like Schumer who claim it's all about safety are simply liars. He's protected by Capitol Police and probably bodyguards, so why worry about the proles? Expendable!
I posted a pretty good study on the effects of the gun bans in Austraillia, Britian and Chicago early on in this thread, it is worth the read if you can find it.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:02 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
I dont really see whats so frustrating or hard to understand. In a free society there will be higher crime than in a supressed society. Its a fact of life, just as in a jungle animals are free to prey on others & those others are free to defend themselves as opposed to a zoo where they eat, $hit & die at the whim of their handlers. Whats ignored by the anti freedom crowd is the fact that while we may have higher crime in some places, mostly inner city crime, the overwhelming advantage of being able to arm yourself outweighs the danger of victimization by a long shot. Those ignored 2 million times a year that people defend themselves with a gun, often not even needing to fire a shot, come to mind.
In my opinion a little risk is a small price to pay to live in the only truly free country in the civilized world.

Its not a good idea to listen a farm raised duck about the importance of freedom, ask one that still migrates.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
In a free society there will be higher crime than in a supressed society.
Are ya truly suggesting that a high crime rate is a sign of a free society?
I guess that in your eyes the people in Colombia are freer than the people in, let's say, Sweden?

Or are ya suggesting that the people in Sweden can only be suppressed?

Source:
NationMaster - Murders (most recent) by country

Old 03-01-2009, 08:27 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
I live in the United States - not Columbia - not Sweden not any other country

I worry about "here" not "there"

I do however worry about those who seek to turn "here" like "there" - like England or Austrailia (re gun laws).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates