U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,078,351 times
Reputation: 948

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
It isn't the game hunter who takes their rifle to rob stores, break into people's homes or shoot someone in the street because they are wearing the wrong colored bandana. Why should these responsible hunters be penalized or hobby threatened due to punks in the street?
They shouldn't nor are they as far as I can tell. No one, even in the District of Columbia, is restricting hunting rifles or shotguns.

 
Old 03-02-2009, 12:27 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,827,169 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellieann View Post
I am entitled to my opinion... I didn't expect all these attacks. Why the attacks? I was not rude or disrespectful of yours ideas and beliefs that I don't subscribe to nor will I ever. Please have more respect for hard working, tax paying, honest good people like myself. I don't feel like any of you are open to other peoples opinions...it's your way or the F***ing highway. Am I wrong? I could sit here and quote facts and figures about guns and vegetarianism and why I feel the way I do, but I have better things to do. If I knew you would listen with an open mind though I might consider it, but I know that isn't going to happen.Anyway, realistically all this trying to scare me into thinking your way and disregarding my way is really a waste of your time because I don't have the power, or authority to outlaw guns, but if I did, you bet, I would outlaw every last one of them. Have a great day.
who are you claiming attacked you? if you address that specific person, then they can give you a better idea of what their message was intended to convey.

as for me, i think you are wrong, and ignorantly stepping on the rights of others without doing your homework, and without considering the eventual consequences. but i am still not attacking you.

too often, people seem to think that disagreement equals assault. be very careful about accusing people of this; generally it isn't an attack, but a miscommunication between two or more people.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,312,459 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
They shouldn't nor are they as far as I can tell. No one, even in the District of Columbia, is restricting hunting rifles or shotguns.
A loaded shotgun or rifle in the home is legal in DC?
 
Old 03-02-2009, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,078,351 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
A loaded shotgun or rifle in the home is legal in DC?
Right now, though foolhardy, it's legal. Hunters don't need to keep their guns loaded at home. When I hunted we never loaded the weapon until we were in the field. That's true of the military as well. Guns were never stored loaded.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 02:58 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,502,690 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Gun owners don't "attack" those who don't want to own a firearm.
I'm not a gun owner and you've 'attacked' me several times in this thread alone; simply because I don't share your opinion.
Via DM you even have tried to run me off this board.
Wasn't that the purpose of doggin' me?
And now I have you chaisin' your own tail.
Nice doggy.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 638,678 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Right now, though foolhardy, it's legal. Hunters don't need to keep their guns loaded at home. When I hunted we never loaded the weapon until we were in the field. That's true of the military as well. Guns were never stored loaded.
Depends which military...

Were you ever in the Rhodesian military? Soldiers slept with their weapons loaded, chambered, safety off.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 638,678 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Right now, though foolhardy, it's legal. Hunters don't need to keep their guns loaded at home. When I hunted we never loaded the weapon until we were in the field. That's true of the military as well. Guns were never stored loaded.

Foolhardy? Why? Because criminals are known for announcing themselves two hours in advance so that the citizen has time to load his weapon and prepare? Or better yet, once they kick your door in, they pause to let you load the weapon so the playing field is level?

If a group of thugs broke into your house would you rather your gun be loaded and either on your person or nearby, or locked up and unloaded in a safe in a distant room?
 
Old 03-02-2009, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,078,351 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Foolhardy? Why? Because criminals are known for announcing themselves two hours in advance so that the citizen has time to load his weapon and prepare? Or better yet, once they kick your door in, they pause to let you load the weapon so the playing field is level?

If a group of thugs broke into your house would you rather your gun be loaded and either on your person or nearby, or locked up and unloaded in a safe in a distant room?
No because home invasions are about as common as lightening striking you down. No thug is likely to break into my house. Neither am I likely to be hit by a meteor or kidnapped by aliens. All of those things you tell children to scare them.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,078,351 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Depends which military...

Were you ever in the Rhodesian military? Soldiers slept with their weapons loaded, chambered, safety off.
Yeah sure. Old No-Toes-Pete and his buddies.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 638,678 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
No because home invasions are about as common as lightening striking you down. No thug is likely to break into my house. Neither am I likely to be hit by a meteor or kidnapped by aliens. All of those things you tell children to scare them.

It is estimate that approximately 11% of all instances of theft/robbery occur as a result of a home invasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top