Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
And you're saying that's a good thing? It's not even legal for 16 year olds to be married in this state, and for good reason. Have you met 16 year olds in love? They aren't exactly smart...

My sister will kill me for this, but if she was married to her boyfriend when she was 16, she'd be the wife of a twice convicted felon who is probably working on his third strike right now.

If I married one of my GFs from when I was 16, I'd be married to either a druggie who has had at least 3 abortions (don't worry, I don't think any were mine), a high school dropout or a girl who now weighs as much as I do with about 8 inches less in height. Sorry, but those are all awful choices.

Plus, most HS Sweetheart marriages end up in divorce.

After all, I was in a totally different place as a 16 year old than I am now. There is no way that the kind of girls I dated then (rebellious types, into music and reading) would be the kind of woman I'd be with today as an investment advisor and volunteer basketball/football coach.

I know you've only been married a year, and I wish you the best of luck in your life together, but come to us in 10 years and tell us what you think. Most guys don't meet that special someone in high school, and many only have the ability to talk to women when drinking...hence the one nighters. It takes a special girl to turn a one night stand into a relationship...or a very controlling and dominant one. 99% of 16-22 year olds are not personally developed or mature enough to make a decision that will last for 60+ years.

Plus, if you're travelling around Europe by train for two months, are you really going to settle down into a relationship with the girl you hooked up with at the Munich Hostel?

All that suggests is that you and your sister really should exercise better judgement in your dating partners. Either that or your parents failed to intervene when they should have. It's the right of a parent to have a role in who their children pursue relationships with. If you lack the intelligence/development/etc to exercise proper judgement then you should refrain from pursuing a relationship until you are able to properly assess your life and know what you want out of a relationship and what you can bring to the table in a relationship.

If you don't know how to operate a parachute are you going to strap on a parachute pack and jump out of an airplane?

If you don't know how to swim are you going to jump off the side of a boat several hundred feet from shore?

I believe that teen dating is essentially pointless and serves no practical purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Oh please! Sex is fun! And men and women get together, for one night - or day - for FUN.

It is not, in any shape, fashion or form, "rape" - it is consensual FUN

Get a grip on real life

OBTW - when I'm at Malibu, or South Beach - I see LOT'S of young women in the smallest of small swim suits - its quite gratifying

So basically you're saying you can have sex with somebody as easily as you would say hello to them, or shake their hand. That probably says a lot about your personality and your values.

If all I wanted to do was put myself in some hole I could do what some freak a few towns over did, drill a hole in a picnic table (he got arrested since he did it in plain view of others- but you get the idea).

From what you say, I get the idea that to you a woman is nothing more than a mechanism to achieve sexual pleasure and release. To you, sex is just a ritualized physical act to achieve a pleasant feeling. If that's how you want to be, fine, it's your life.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
So basically you're saying you can have sex with somebody as easily as you would say hello to them, or shake their hand.
What I said was - men and women "hook up" for one night stands. Millions and Millions do it - every day.

The above is a fact.

Can you handle it?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
What I said was - men and women "hook up" for one night stands. Millions and Millions do it - every day.

The above is a fact.

Can you handle it?

Of course I can handle it, that doesn't mean I have to agree with it, condone it, like it, or refrain from condemning it.

Can you handle that there are some things you support that other people vehemently disagree with?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Of course I can handle it, that doesn't mean I have to agree with it, condone it, like it, or refrain from condemning it.

Can you handle that there are some things you support that other people vehemently disagree with?
Sure I'm a lawyer. People disagree with me all the time

Old 02-10-2009, 08:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
Prostitution! How bad is it really?
Prostitution has long been known by many as the "victimless" crime. While it's true that neither the prostitute or the "John" is considered a victim, the sale of sex is still illegal. Why do you think that is? What do you think of prostitution?
It's illegal because of Christian beliefs -- no other reason. OhioUberAlles' arguments are based on his religious beliefs. The "moral" grounds argument against it is mostly, if not completely, religion-based.

I was driving through Nevada several years ago by myself. I'd heard enough about the brothels that I was curious, so I exited I-80, drove into one of the towns, and quickly found one -- a small one in the downtown area.

I entered, sat down at the bar and ordered a beer. Someone asked if I was interested in sex, but I said no, just curious. She showed me around (it was mid-afternoon and not busy), gave me a "menu", and I returned to the bar. Then one of the "girls" sat down at the bar with me, and we struck up a friendly conversation.

She was an older woman, 50s or 60s, and was a retired high school teacher. She'd been divorced a year or two earlier and decided she wanted to try the life of a prostitute for awhile, just for fun. She said she'd always enjoyed sex and thought it would be a kick to try it while she still could. She said she had a lot of older customers who preferred older women. Some would come in once a month when they got their Social Security checks. I think she was in her first year of it and planned to do it for a couple years total. She seemed to be enjoying the experience.

I think it should be legalized and run like it is in Nevada. I believe they have a good system. Some counties allow it and others don't. It's relatively safe and, if you don't object on religious grounds, it seems to be a good thing for all involved. I'm not an expert at it, but it seems to work well.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,939 times
Quote:
So basically you're saying you can have sex with somebody as easily as you would say hello to them, or shake their hand. That probably says a lot about your personality and your values.

If all I wanted to do was put myself in some hole I could do what some freak a few towns over did, drill a hole in a picnic table (he got arrested since he did it in plain view of others- but you get the idea).

From what you say, I get the idea that to you a woman is nothing more than a mechanism to achieve sexual pleasure and release. To you, sex is just a ritualized physical act to achieve a pleasant feeling. If that's how you want to be, fine, it's your life.
So stop judging him for it. Doesn't your precious bible say "judge lest ye be judged"? Well, you're making all kinds of snap judgements about us because we don't hold your same puritan views.

People like you don't realize how much of a part in our financial crisis you have had. You blame it on the "liberals" and on the "banks", but your continuing fight against a free market economy is a major cause. The money we spend policing morality that is based in Christianity could easily be spent making prostitution safe so it could be taxed to BENEFIT society.

If you want to live in a Theocracy, move to Iran...otherwise, stop trying to force your 17th century moral code on 21st century people. All it does is increase crime, decrease taxes and add an unnecessary burden to our already over-burdened justice system.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
So stop judging him for it. Doesn't your precious bible say "judge lest ye be judged"? Well, you're making all kinds of snap judgements about us because we don't hold your same puritan views.

People like you don't realize how much of a part in our financial crisis you have had. You blame it on the "liberals" and on the "banks", but your continuing fight against a free market economy is a major cause. The money we spend policing morality that is based in Christianity could easily be spent making prostitution safe so it could be taxed to BENEFIT society.

If you want to live in a Theocracy, move to Iran...otherwise, stop trying to force your 17th century moral code on 21st century people. All it does is increase crime, decrease taxes and add an unnecessary burden to our already over-burdened justice system.

Obviously you have no idea of scripture or the gospel. Judgement in that context meant to pass sentence. You can always pronounce an opinion on behavior. John the Baptist told Herod he could not legally have his brother's wife while his brother still lived, and Jesus didn't say to him "hey, don't judge Herod!"

Jesus took a whip and chased the money lenders out of the temple, He didn't pause and say, "gee I better not judge these people by chasing them out of the temple."

Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:

If there was a way to tax the air in my lungs, the leftists, globalists, and international bankers would find a way to do it.

I don't believe the government should have the right to tax the income or property of the citizens.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,939 times
Quote:
If there was a way to tax the air in my lungs, the leftists, globalists, and international bankers would find a way to do it.

I don't believe the government should have the right to tax the income or property of the citizens.
Well, do you think we should have National defense? Interstate highways? Well, those are a result of taxes. From your posts here, and in other places, I know one thing for sure about you: you have no idea how the real world works and your beliefs are so beyond far-fetched that it's impossible to take them seriously. We rely on the government a lot more than you think, so how would you pay for those necessary government services?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates