Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2008, 10:15 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
The thing is that your police can't search a suspected citizen under the ‘false’ suspicion of being a convicted criminal carrying a gun (if he's not the convicted felon he'll most like sue the police if they did), while the Dutch police can stop any civilian when we suspect that he is carrying a gun without checking if he is a criminal or not.
We believe in freedom from unreasonable searches by police - FREEDOM. A law enforcement officer has to have "probable cause" to initiate a search or, obtain a warrant from a court.

Hence why we are "free" and you are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 04:03 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday The thing is that your police can't search a suspected citizen under the ‘false’ suspicion of being a convicted criminal carrying a gun (if he's not the convicted felon he'll most like sue the police if they did), while the Dutch police can stop any civilian when we suspect that he is carrying a gun without checking if he is a criminal or not.
Some free country.
They can just stop & search for no reason eh? Free my arse.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,894 times
"... Dutch police can stop any civilian when we suspect..."

Sounds like trickyd is implying that he is a Dutch LEO.

I have some serious doubts about that.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
A law enforcement officer has to have "probable cause" to initiate a search or, obtain a warrant from a court.
Unless you're police or military carrying a gun already is probable cause in The Netherlands.
So if the suspect isn't military or police he can only be a criminal, which makes spotting criminals real easy.

Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
They can just stop & search for no reason eh? Free my arse.
LoL, freedom doesn't mean that there aren't any laws.
Even Americans aren't so free that they can do anything they want, especially with the Patriot Act.

Originally Posted by gbear48
Quote:
"... Dutch police can stop any civilian when we suspect..."
they're carrying a gun.
You Americans gun fetishists don't finish my quote cause you can't use the facts?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:33 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatdayUnless you're police or military carrying a gun already is probable cause in The Netherlands.
So if the suspect isn't military or police he can only be a criminal, which makes spotting criminals real easy.

Originally Posted by Tin Knocker LoL, freedom doesn't mean that there aren't any laws.
Even Americans aren't so free that they can do anything they want, especially with the Patriot Act.

Originally Posted by gbear48they're carrying a gun.
You Americans gun fetishists don't finish my quote cause you can't use the facts?
It is extremely easy to conceal a gun. My fathers 9mm is small enough he can even wear tight clothing and you would never know he had it on its person. Spotting a criminal is not as easy as you would make it to be.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Noahma
Quote:
It is extremely easy to conceal a gun. My fathers 9mm is small enough he can even wear tight clothing and you would never know he had it on its person.
I guess this is another reason why guns shouldn't be easily available to just everybody.
I mean who, besides criminals and terrorists, requires easily concealable guns?
What about those guns (and ammo) that won't show up on a metal detector?

Last edited by Tricky D; 12-20-2008 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,894 times
This is an interesting point:

Quote:
... (Snip for brevity)......
What about those guns (and ammo) that won't show up on a metal detector?
Can you tell us more about this problem. If you are in law enforcement , I would be very interested in your experience with this kind of issue.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I mean who, besides criminals and terrorists, requires easily concealable guns?
A woman carrying a firearm for self protection. My wife carries a small handgun in her purse.

Many wear shoulder holsters that, when one is wearing a coat, is virtually non detectable.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
A woman carrying a firearm for self protection. My wife carries a small handgun in her purse.
And I thought that displaying your gun in the open would keep the criminal element in check.

Originally Posted by gbear48
Quote:
Can you tell us more about this problem.
I would assume that those guns would be great for smuggling them into areas like schools who have metal detectors to keep guns out.
Don't you gun fetishists feel naked and exposed without a gun?

Old 12-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
And I thought that displaying your gun in the open would keep the criminal element in check.
Once again, your "thinking" is wrong. There is no reason to carry in the open if you can carry concealed. Plus, in the case of my wife, wearing a holster on top of a $2,000 dress, at a cocktail party, would diminish the fashion she is wearing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates