Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 02:47 PM

78,369 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
I know plenty of people who eat out more than that, for example: my roomate has yet to buy groceries of any kind and weve been in our new place since dec! Hes one of those "lucky" people who just does not put on weight so he eats basically junk all day every day. I still tell him hes going to have heart attack but he ignores it
Your roomate is still young. Once he gets older and his metabolism slows down he will get heavy. Also, he might get a lot of exercise etc. that counteracts this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 03:32 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"With lower income families it actually is cheaper to buy fast food than to make food from scratch."

Absolutely not true!
Groceries cost the same for the low income person in line behind the higher earner at the store and Mcdonald's charges the same for both.
Knowing what and how to buy and how to cook (not to mention bothering to make the effort) is the difference
Hear here!!! ANY ready-prepared food is more expensive than ANY from-scratch food. Shopping/cooking/eating right is an education issue too. Does anyone but me notice that Home Economics started dropping off the national list of required subjects, AND people nationally got wealthy enough to all own their own cars, around the same time people's weight started ballooning?

Part of the problem is that we are constantly being hammered with stoopid expert opinions on diet and nutrition that ultimately distort reality for all of us. We have to open our eyes. I can't be the only one who's noticed that Dr. Atkins died young...and fat. I can't be the only one to notice that Detroiters, who commute to their jobs instead of walking, are fatter than New Yorkers, who walk everywhere because there is no place to park. Michigan, home of the privately-owned automobile where nobody walks anywhere, has more diabetics than any other state in the nation. Oh, I could go on for hours!

Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I can't be the only one who's noticed that Dr. Atkins died young...and fat. I can't be the only one to notice that Detroiters, who commute to their jobs instead of walking, are fatter than New Yorkers, who walk everywhere because there is no place to park. Michigan, home of the privately-owned automobile where nobody walks anywhere, has more diabetics than any other state in the nation. Oh, I could go on for hours!
You forgot the county in central Pennsylvania--I think it's Susquehanna--that has one of the highest obesity rates in the entire country. I've been there, and trust me, it's absolutely weird to see entire communities of people walking around looking like the Sta-Puft Man from "Ghostbusters." (Their preferred diet includes impressive quantities of bread and potatoes. But nobody there thinks anything of this; it's just the way they live. By their own choice, incidentally).

Old 02-26-2009, 02:53 PM

857 posts, read 1,422,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your roomate is still young. Once he gets older and his metabolism slows down he will get heavy. Also, he might get a lot of exercise etc. that counteracts this.
I think he will get heavier but I dont think he will ever get big. Some peple just never do. This doesnt mean that his arteries are any less at risk though. And as far as excecise goes, Im pretty sure the closest thing to excercise hes getting involves his gf

god help him if they break up

Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 PM

422 posts, read 649,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
"With lower income families it actually is cheaper to buy fast food than to make food from scratch."

Absolutely not true!
Groceries cost the same for the low income person in line behind the higher earner at the store and Mcdonald's charges the same for both.
Knowing what and how to buy and how to cook (not to mention bothering to make the effort) is the difference
Lower income families live in concentrated inner city areas. Ther IS no fresh fruit/veggie grocery store in their neighborhood but there IS a Mcdonalds etc... They follwed a family in this situation and it took a 45 minute ride to find a tomato. You can find guns and drugs but not a tomato. Unbelievable.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 PM

422 posts, read 649,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Everyone wants to stop at McDonalds instead of preparing real food. people don't understand how to use a kitchen or what it is like to make a meal and sit down to eat it. We teach kids... eat while I drive ..it will save time...translation I won't take the time to cook for you so eat this crap I want to believe is food. If McD's doesnt offer anything good the kids won't eat it or have the opportunity.
You want to know why we are fat? we eat at fast food, we watch tv, and we stay indoors all our life. We make our gyms indoors so we can stay inside to become fit.
Want a way to be heathier and save mony? have one tv in the house, limit its use, limit computer time, make the kids go out for entertainment, be sure bikes, skates, and running shoes are in their realm to use, and prepare dinners every night and breakfast every morning. You might actually get to know your kids and keep them from doing drugs, becoming pregnant, and learning something.... There is your recipe to lean America. and reduce other social woes.... Could moving away from the family unit lead to our undoing? something that makes you go HMMMMMM.
Whos gonna cook everyday are you crazy? Everyone is at work dummy, how else can we be good parents by providing cell phones, ipods, and overpriced trashy clothes to our children? You've got some nerve suggesting that the breakdown of the family is responsible for the breakdown of society. Thats a real reach there buddy. We need our Mcmansion full of idols NOT a tighter family unit. geesh !

Old 02-27-2009, 02:07 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Lower income families live in concentrated inner city areas. Ther IS no fresh fruit/veggie grocery store in their neighborhood but there IS a Mcdonalds etc... They follwed a family in this situation and it took a 45 minute ride to find a tomato. You can find guns and drugs but not a tomato. Unbelievable.
While I'll admit to not knowing who or where 'they' are, I would have to wonder then......do 'they' eat every meal at Mc D's?

Old 02-27-2009, 03:02 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,801 times
nothing is to blame but your cultural palate. who decided french fries, fried chicken and burgers were all-american food?

Old 02-27-2009, 07:00 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
All of the above are true, In my experience (having been fat) a lot of people eat to entertain themselves, to stimulate themselves, and out of boredom. There are also terrible fatty non-nutritive foods that we have strong cultural or familial connections to and can't "not" eat them ,like Biscuits and Gravy. The fast food industry and Ad agencies have capitalized on these foods. You can almost diet by avoiding advertised foods. As children we are taught to belive these advertisers want us to eat these foods so we will be healthy and happy. People used to like to cook. Now it is made to seem like a chore that can be made easy with hundreds of products to get you out of the kitchen. And of course the older you get the less calories you need.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 02-27-2009 at 07:55 AM..

Old 02-27-2009, 07:30 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Whos gonna cook everyday are you crazy? Everyone is at work dummy, how else can we be good parents by providing cell phones, ipods, and overpriced trashy clothes to our children? You've got some nerve suggesting that the breakdown of the family is responsible for the breakdown of society. Thats a real reach there buddy. We need our Mcmansion full of idols NOT a tighter family unit. geesh !
Well said, unfortunatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates