Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 PM

311 posts, read 694,133 times

Advertisements

I was born in 1975 and we played outside from dawn till dusk. You had to drag us inside.A rainny day was HORRIBLE.Our parents COOKED our meals and we RARELY had soda pop. On the flip side my cousins who are 15 years younger where HUGE kids.They never went outside to play.They would sit and play video games for hours on end.They guzzled pop and rarely would eat home cooked meals. I'm sure this is common for american kids today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
The food industry is to blame, pure and simple. Processed foods containing ingredients no human should ever eat. McDonald's and similar places recruiting customers from children with the clown and birthday parties, etc.
Here's something else to consider; with Americans getting bigger and fatter, mainly fatter, their genes are changing. Those genes that have the instructions for how much a body should weigh have been altered by at least two generation of obesity. Those genes that once instructed a body to try maintain 150 pound now have evolved to think that 250 pounds is the prime weight.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:54 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Nobody is to blame but themselves. If you choose to be a fat ass then it's your choice. Put down the pizza and hit the gym instead of being lazy.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The food industry is to blame, pure and simple. Processed foods containing ingredients no human should ever eat. McDonald's and similar places recruiting customers from children with the clown and birthday parties, etc.
Here's something else to consider; with Americans getting bigger and fatter, mainly fatter, their genes are changing. Those genes that have the instructions for how much a body should weigh have been altered by at least two generation of obesity. Those genes that once instructed a body to try maintain 150 pound now have evolved to think that 250 pounds is the prime weight.
Umm, how are the genes changing? I would like to see some evidence that the genes of the American public have changed recently, nevermind due to diet.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I just watched a show on E! channel (lol- to take a break), and really cannot believe how many shows are on obese people, just tracking their daily lives.

IMO obesity in America is epidemic, I see 12 year old kids where I currently live, that weigh like 300 lbs., eat at Hardee's, and you should see the contents of the food carts at Kroger ...

Arent we at the point, where people should be educated enough about nutrition? Or do some people honestly think that Coca Cola, high fructose corn syrup, additives, poisons and fatty dairy foods are all just fine?.....

Its really sad, I dont understand parents, especially, who feed this trash to their kids.
I ate whatever crap I wanted to eat when I was a kid... within reason, I suppose. My mom watched what I ate but very rarely fed me stuff I didn't like... and the only green vegetable I liked was spinach.

Despite that, I have always been only "mildly" overweight... never to the point of it being unhealthy or having anyone (even doctors) tell me I'd do well to lose weight. We went to McDonald's frequently (and I ate plenty of french fries that were fried in oil full of trans fats).

The reason why I never became obese was ACTIVITY. I was forever doing things... mostly outside. I always ran around, rode my bike, climbed trees, played kickball, etc... DESPITE being asthmatic to the point where I couldn't always keep up with everyone. I had my video games as well, but they were limited to two hours per weekend and nothing during the week.

I gained 46 pounds during about a seven-month period during my freshman year in high school. I wondered how I didn't notice, but I knew the reason once I did find out. It was... THE COMPUTER! We had gotten our first computer that year and I started spending most of my free time writing computer programs. My parents never tried to restrict that, because I was taking a programming class and they figured it'd help me get good grades. (It did.) However, is it any surprise that when my diet didn't change but my activity level did, I gained a lot of weight?

I managed to shed the weight and drop back to something reasonable by my junior year but the fact of the matter is that what is keeping America obese is not so much our food intake but our lack of activity. Today we have all kinds of wonderful gizmos designed to empower our laziness. TVs with thousands of channels and a remote control. (When I was a kid, you got out of your chair and pushed a button on the cable box to change to one of the other 30 channels!) Ride-on lawn mowers. (My dad cut our grass with an unpowered push mower! When he did get a powered mower, it was a walk-behind!) Even better- yard cleanup services. (We RAKED our leaves and sometimes picked up sticks by hand!) Parents are working so much that they don't have time to go out and throw the ball around with their kids... and video games have become so popular that almost everyone has them and plays them incessantly. Lots of the rich folk in the town where I used to live would hire maid services- even the kids wouldn't have to clean up their rooms because "the cleaning ladies will do it!".

If we want to get America to be thinner, we should focus more on activity level and less on food intake. To this day as a 29-year-old, I eat whatever the heck I want to eat (and anyone who knows me knows how much food I eat... just last night I did an eating contest and beat a guy who up to that point had been undefeated)... and if I'm active enough, I will lose weight nonetheless. Tuesday night I was on the treadmill for almost two hours and I burned over 1,300 calories in that one workout. How many people actually do those things?

Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Nobody is to blame but themselves. If you choose to be a fat ass then it's your choice. Put down the pizza and hit the gym instead of being lazy.
Agreed-----------and, I am a bit on the heavy side.

No one forces me to eat chocolate, etc.

The above stated: I do walk 3-4 miles a day and I only need to lose 25-30 lbs (I am 6' 4").

Old 02-19-2009, 06:11 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Over just 30 years? I think not.

I was boring in 1957 so Darwinism would not apply in my case.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:26 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
I think so many stopped growing their own food. We looked to the govt. to provide a nutritional subsitute. Big Mistake IMO!!

I love growing my own tomatoes, lettuce, squash, corn...and the likes and I feel good eating it cuz I KNOW where it came from.

I think there are too many lazy Americans who would rather sit in line at a drive up and give their order instead of finding a place in their yard to grow so much good stuff that can be grown for so few dollars.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:45 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
The food industry is to blame, pure and simple. Processed foods containing ingredients no human should ever eat.
Baloney. As an adult, you alone are responsible for what you are shoveling into your piehole. As a parent, you alone are responsible for what your kids are shoveling into their pieholes.

Man up, people. Take some responsibility for yourselves for once.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Personal responsibility.

Most of the people with a weight problem are just incapable of addressing their addiction where SOME of the cases have medical components the fact of the matter remains that if you were put somewhere on a strict diet\exercise plan you WOULD lose weight.

The attempts to destigmatize obesity is enabling. Killing yourself slowly by abusing a substance is the bottom line and it's often depression related. Men are more likely to drink, women are more likely to turn to food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates