Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 02:09 PM

632 posts, read 1,517,681 times

Advertisements

I am 43 female, 5'10" and weigh 125 lbs after having 2 kids. My extended family is of average weight, with some overweight, some under and some average. I work very hard to eat healthy and exercise 3-5 times a week. BTW - I'm in menopause, not a bit of help in maintaining a healthy weight.

In my workplace, there are about 4 women who are obese, two grossly (340 lbs and 300 lbs). At lunch, we often talk about the challenge with weight. These 4 ladies have told me before they think I look too skinny. They continuously tell me how lucky I am that I obviously have a high metabolism and good genes. Then they proceed to eat 2 hamburgers while I eat a salad with tons of veggies and protein. They also complain they don't have enough time in their schedule to exercise, and none of the 4 have kids at home, while I have 2.

I finally had it and told them that I don't stay 125 lbs. without watching what I eat and working out. I told them if someone followed all of us around for a week, they would see that I eat and move differently than they do.

Was I out of line? They can tell me I am too skinny, yet I'm within my ideal weight range for my height. What if I told them they were too fat? Think that would be accepted? And what can I say back to them when they feel comfortable telling me I am too skinny? One even said she'd rather be obese like she is than be skinny like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
Poverty, Fast food and Lazy lifestyles

Old 08-07-2009, 10:55 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I eat a high fat, high sugar diet, and I've still lost about 15 pounds. Which is NOT a good thing, since it means my clothes no longer fit me.

You know how hard it is to find a size 28 waist?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:05 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I eat a high fat, high sugar diet, and I've still lost about 15 pounds. Which is NOT a good thing, since it means my clothes no longer fit me.

You know how hard it is to find a size 28 waist?
Dairy products I tell ya....dem Swissy's ain't big strappin' boys and fine healthy gals because they eat chocolate. mmmmmmm cheeeeese............

Old 08-07-2009, 07:52 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Just a little observation (could be helpful for some people who want to lose weight but don’t want to become rabbits):

Why is it the first type of food that comes up when discussing weight loss is ‘veggies’? Followed closely by fruit?

If you look at the ‘food pyramid’ for general eaters and for the other one for vegans you will notice that the biggest portions are grain derived foods (breads, cereals, etc) followed closely by the beans/lentils group (and meat for non-vegans). Between those two groups, they double the portions of vegetables and fruits.

Put simply, you don’t have to live on veggies and fruits to loose weight and be healthy. Other than occasional grapes, pairs, or oranges, I hardly eat fruit. For the most part I don't care for it. And I REALLY hate raw veggies. Yet... according to those food pyramids, I still have a fairly healthy diet. A really large portion of what I eat consists of grains: oats/oatmeal, barley recipes (gruya, a type of gruel--yummy), cream of wheat type foods, breads of many types, etc. Potatoes are huge in my diet. Corn, beans, love rice, peas, beets, hominy, grits. Nuts (almonds, brazil, etc). I don’t eat a lot of meat, but I do like fish. And... gotta have milk in the morning (hate coffee).

My point is, you don’t have to suffer with exclusively eating veggies and fruits if you don’t like them. You can eat other healthy things. We all have different tastes. Find what works for you. Personally, I’d rather open a container of rolled oats and just start eating them plain (seriously!) before I would start eating from one of those horrid veggie trays.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:12 AM

530 posts, read 650,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Just a little observation (could be helpful for some people who want to lose weight but don’t want to become rabbits):

Why is it the first type of food that comes up when discussing weight loss is ‘veggies’? Followed closely by fruit?

If you look at the ‘food pyramid’ for general eaters and for the other one for vegans you will notice that the biggest portions are grain derived foods (breads, cereals, etc) followed closely by the beans/lentils group (and meat for non-vegans). Between those two groups, they double the portions of vegetables and fruits.

Put simply, you don’t have to live on veggies and fruits to loose weight and be healthy. Other than occasional grapes, pairs, or oranges, I hardly eat fruit. For the most part I don't care for it. And I REALLY hate raw veggies. Yet... according to those food pyramids, I still have a fairly healthy diet. A really large portion of what I eat consists of grains: oats/oatmeal, barley recipes (gruya, a type of gruel--yummy), cream of wheat type foods, breads of many types, etc. Potatoes are huge in my diet. Corn, beans, love rice, peas, beets, hominy, grits. Nuts (almonds, brazil, etc). I don’t eat a lot of meat, but I do like fish. And... gotta have milk in the morning (hate coffee).

My point is, you don’t have to suffer with exclusively eating veggies and fruits if you don’t like them. You can eat other healthy things. We all have different tastes. Find what works for you. Personally, I’d rather open a container of rolled oats and just start eating them plain (seriously!) before I would start eating from one of those horrid veggie trays.
Lol...raw rolled oats are one of my favorite things to eat too! My family thinks its gross but i love it, its very clean and nutty tasting....I thought I was the only one!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
Lol...raw rolled oats are one of my favorite things to eat too! My family thinks its gross but i love it, its very clean and nutty tasting....I thought I was the only one!
Ha, now there are two of us. Great stuff, those oats.

You're right though; I've noticed that there are a lot of people who don't even like oatmeal. That's crazy! I could practically live on it. When folks find out that I'd rather have oats (or grain foods in general) than those nasty carrot sticks, raw broccoli, etc, they think I'm insane. Yup, handful of oats. Works for me.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:31 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
I am 43 female, 5'10" and weigh 125 lbs after having 2 kids. My extended family is of average weight, with some overweight, some under and some average. I work very hard to eat healthy and exercise 3-5 times a week. BTW - I'm in menopause, not a bit of help in maintaining a healthy weight.

In my workplace, there are about 4 women who are obese, two grossly (340 lbs and 300 lbs). At lunch, we often talk about the challenge with weight. These 4 ladies have told me before they think I look too skinny. They continuously tell me how lucky I am that I obviously have a high metabolism and good genes. Then they proceed to eat 2 hamburgers while I eat a salad with tons of veggies and protein. They also complain they don't have enough time in their schedule to exercise, and none of the 4 have kids at home, while I have 2.

I finally had it and told them that I don't stay 125 lbs. without watching what I eat and working out. I told them if someone followed all of us around for a week, they would see that I eat and move differently than they do.

Was I out of line? They can tell me I am too skinny, yet I'm within my ideal weight range for my height. What if I told them they were too fat? Think that would be accepted? And what can I say back to them when they feel comfortable telling me I am too skinny? One even said she'd rather be obese like she is than be skinny like me.
Lol,they are obviously jealous, who wants to see a 330 lb obese woman at the beach?...I would just say, next time they try to insult u for being thin,that you have different priorities,and are a lot more educated than they are about heart disease!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:50 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Fast food and laziness!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:32 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Originally Posted by wyolady
=============================================

Please refer to this chart and you will see that even for a small frame, you are considered 'under'. Maybe you are pre-judging those women and that your preconceptions of weight issues, are making them appear to us as bigger than what they really may be ?
Height and Weight Chart - height weight chart, weight height chart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates