Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 08:53 AM

530 posts, read 650,322 times

Advertisements

Ok so according to this chart she's maybe 5 lbs under weight, but that is different depending on how she is proportioned. I personally have a large chest and butt so I can stand to be a little underweight because my shape makes up for it. The op point was that in todays society "we" the healthy thinner persons also take alot of slack for being thin. We have to sit and be judged by overweight people too. I have people all the time who say " well thats easy for you , your so thin" they dont realize I was once almost 100 lbs overweight and I made the choice to do something about it. Being thin and healthy takes alot of work, especially the older we get. I do have to be careful, no one doughnut won't hurt, but the bad habit of eating them everyday or more than one here and there will. You can not sit on your butt, eat what you want, refuse to exercise and hope to stay thin forever. The op would never dream of saying "we'll your fat thighs make me want to hurl", so why is it acceptable for her overweight co-workers to belittle her for her healthy lifestyle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
Ok so according to this chart she's maybe 5 lbs under weight, but that is different depending on how she is proportioned. I personally have a large chest and butt so I can stand to be a little underweight because my shape makes up for it. The op point was that in todays society "we" the healthy thinner persons also take alot of slack for being thin. We have to sit and be judged by overweight people too. I have people all the time who say " well thats easy for you , your so thin" they dont realize I was once almost 100 lbs overweight and I made the choice to do something about it. Being thin and healthy takes alot of work, especially the older we get. I do have to be careful, no one doughnut won't hurt, but the bad habit of eating them everyday or more than one here and there will. You can not sit on your butt, eat what you want, refuse to exercise and hope to stay thin forever. The op would never dream of saying "we'll your fat thighs make me want to hurl", so why is it acceptable for her overweight co-workers to belittle her for her healthy lifestyle!
That's being a little presumptious on your part to say that. How do you know that she does or does not do that? Are you her?
It's good that she watches what she eats and exercises.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:55 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I just watched a show on E! channel (lol- to take a break), and really cannot believe how many shows are on obese people, just tracking their daily lives.

IMO obesity in America is epidemic, I see 12 year old kids where I currently live, that weigh like 300 lbs., eat at Hardee's, and you should see the contents of the food carts at Kroger ...

Arent we at the point, where people should be educated enough about nutrition? Or do some people honestly think that Coca Cola, high fructose corn syrup, additives, poisons and fatty dairy foods are all just fine?.....

Its really sad, I dont understand parents, especially, who feed this trash to their kids.

I'm overweight and no-one put the food in my mouth but me, i was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago and decided that i had enough and was going to do something about it. I've lost almost 40 lbs and my sugar is under control. I remember when i was a kid, we were outside playing all day, we were active. Now kids are in the house stuck to their cell phones, video games and what not. They need to get out and be active, i'm 54 and when i was 10,11,12 you didn't many kids that were overweight, now they are all over. If my kids were that age, i would not allow them to be in the house all day. Kids need to be out and active.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:59 PM

530 posts, read 650,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
That's being a little presumptious on your part to say that. How do you know that she does or does not do that? Are you her?
It's good that she watches what she eats and exercises.
My point was that she was saying she had to defend her healthy lifestyle to these over weight people. Then you come along and point out that maybe these people werent that overweight, but that because she's soo skinny and under weight that perhaps it's her fault not theirs...who's being presumptious here.......big hint....you.
We should not have to defend our selves for being healthy. She plainly stated that these women weighed upwards of 250+ pds.
My point was to simply enlighten you that you were doing the same thing that these women were....!!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:29 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I'm overweight and no-one put the food in my mouth but me, i was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago and decided that i had enough and was going to do something about it. I've lost almost 40 lbs and my sugar is under control. I remember when i was a kid, we were outside playing all day, we were active. Now kids are in the house stuck to their cell phones, video games and what not. They need to get out and be active, i'm 54 and when i was 10,11,12 you didn't many kids that were overweight, now they are all over. If my kids were that age, i would not allow them to be in the house all day. Kids need to be out and active.
And here you have it. When we were kids, 3 channels on TV (if we had TV), no cells, no computers so no internet and our entertainment was riding our bikes, horses, REAL skateboards none of these motorized ones - you actually had to use your legs to get it to move and families sat down at the dinner table for home cooked meals - none of this fast food, super size everything. I made sure my now 23 year old played outside, didn't have candy and cookies for snacks (bad mom), but he loved raw veggies and cheese, plus yogurt. I hated and still do the raw veggie part - picky eater - but I darn well made sure my kid learned how to eat healthy food. Even his baby food was natural and they made a great yogurt that he loved for his 'desert'. Course he always did wonder why at Halloween when he had been given so much candy why it would 'magically' disappear the next day LOL

Old 08-15-2009, 10:34 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
As a member of a healthcare system I have to tell you that the majority of health care issues today can be eliminated if people would consume less food and exercise 2 or 3 times a week. If you won't exercise because of what ever reason, you still can choose to eat less and better. From my perspective beds are getting bigger, equipment that used to have a weight limit of 350lbs now has increased to twice that. Sometimes we need beds and equipment that will hold even larger people.

My point is that we are killing ourselves slowly with food.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:45 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
And here you have it. When we were kids, 3 channels on TV (if we had TV), no cells, no computers so no internet and our entertainment was riding our bikes, horses, REAL skateboards none of these motorized ones - you actually had to use your legs to get it to move and families sat down at the dinner table for home cooked meals - none of this fast food, super size everything. I made sure my now 23 year old played outside, didn't have candy and cookies for snacks (bad mom), but he loved raw veggies and cheese, plus yogurt. I hated and still do the raw veggie part - picky eater - but I darn well made sure my kid learned how to eat healthy food. Even his baby food was natural and they made a great yogurt that he loved for his 'desert'. Course he always did wonder why at Halloween when he had been given so much candy why it would 'magically' disappear the next day LOL
I grew up in a similar situation. We ate 3 times a day. Now everyone seems to need a snack two or three times a day and chances are that "snack" has as many calories as an entire meal. If you are limiting your intake to 2,000 calories you have no room for a can of Pepsi or Coke (150 calories per can) You don't have the space for a bag of chips or a pack of Oreo's. Even those 100 calorie snacks are a joke. How many of you stop at one serving? I rememeber when fast food was a treat and not a major part of societies food choices.

As a kid we probably had Pizza once a year. I remember the first time I went to McDonalds with my family when I was 11. I didn't visit again untill I was 16 and had my own money, and even then that was a seldom if ever event.

As kids we also played outside. Activity was a big part of life.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:11 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,176 times
[quote=SOON2BNSURPRISE;10298608]I grew up in a similar situation. We ate 3 times a day. Now everyone seems to need a snack two or three times a day and chances are that "snack" has as many calories as an entire meal. If you are limiting your intake to 2,000 calories you have no room for a can of Pepsi or Coke (150 calories per can) You don't have the space for a bag of chips or a pack of Oreo's. Even those 100 calorie snacks are a joke. How many of you stop at one serving? I rememeber when fast food was a treat and not a major part of societies food choices.

As a kid we probably had Pizza once a year. I remember the first time I went to McDonalds with my family when I was 11. I didn't visit again untill I was 16 and had my own money, and even then that was a seldom if ever event.

I never even heard of McDonalds until i was around 16 or so. I also don't remember eating at fast food places, i didn't do that until i was older and driving a car. My parents never once took us to a fast food place. My mom made dinner every nite and we had to come in and eat at 5:00, then we went back outside and had to be in when the street lights came on. We just ran around all day and actually played.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times
[quote=sues1;10298853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I grew up in a similar situation. We ate 3 times a day. Now everyone seems to need a snack two or three times a day and chances are that "snack" has as many calories as an entire meal. If you are limiting your intake to 2,000 calories you have no room for a can of Pepsi or Coke (150 calories per can) You don't have the space for a bag of chips or a pack of Oreo's. Even those 100 calorie snacks are a joke. How many of you stop at one serving? I rememeber when fast food was a treat and not a major part of societies food choices.

I never even heard of McDonalds until i was around 16 or so. I also don't remember eating at fast food places, i didn't do that until i was older and driving a car. My parents never once took us to a fast food place. My mom made dinner every nite and we had to come in and eat at 5:00, then we went back outside and had to be in when the street lights came on. We just ran around all day and actually played.
You had street lights? LOL Guess you can tell I grew up in the country; we came in at dark 'cause of critters, but yeah - too much unhealthy 'snacking' and FF nowadays, not enough exercise and quite honestly not enough quality family time. My son never got soda and especially anything with caffeine - juice, water and the like. He was so 'trained' that when he went to a Bday party for one of his friends, when the mom asked him if he wanted a soda he asked if it had caffeine in it. When she said yes, he said he would have juice because he wasn't allowed to have anything with caffeine. Ah, if they could just stay young LOL though have to admit at 23 he doesn't drink a gallon of soda every day and eats pretty darn healthy.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:33 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Agree re: how kids were brought up, and my Mom would have sent my brother to a nutrition dr if he gained too much weight; she never took us for fast food,and pizza was never our thing...imo some parents today are just lazy...I do feel sorry for yoiung kids who are being fed garbage, and will get heart disease by the time they are 30;I truly never realized how prevalent obesity is in this country til living in the south: the quality of food here is horiffic,and it seems the poorer people are,the less prone they are to eating and cooking healthy foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates