Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 12:13 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
The point was that the man doesnt have to carry the thing and pop something the size of a watermelon out of something the size of a walnut.
The man doesnt carry it, its not the man's body. Therefore woman's choice what she does with HER body.

The woman has the CHOICE to have a baby, and once the baby exists she can still CHOOSE whether or not to force him to financially support the baby or just do it alone.
How many babies have you had? "Something the size of a watermelon out of something the size of a walnut." sounds like something from a sitcom. Carrying a baby and giving birth isn't really that bad. Being pregnant is fantastic, and the actual birth process lasts just a short few hours. NOT THAT MEN SHOULDN'T APPRECIATE US FOR IT, THEY'D BETTER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:19 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Colddiamond...If you think the process of giving birth is so bad, you do NOT have sex. Unfortunately, every time you spread your legs you do so KNOWING there is a risk involved. If you want to make the risk significantly lower, use BC. If you do not want to accept this risk at all, keep your legs CLOSED.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:21 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
The point was that the man doesnt have to carry the thing and pop something the size of a watermelon out of something the size of a walnut.
The man doesnt carry it, its not the man's body. Therefore woman's choice what she does with HER body.

The woman has the CHOICE to have a baby, and once the baby exists she can still CHOOSE whether or not to force him to financially support the baby or just do it alone.
I see your point, but the man should have some choice in the matter as well. There is a lot of potential for abuse in your line of thinking. For example, there have been cases (yes, plural) of professional athletes getting mired in paternity suits because a woman fished a condom out of the trash. It isn't uncommon for women to believe that they can trap a man with a unilateral pregnancy and some women see an "accidental" pregnancy as a source of income.

If the biological father never supported the woman's choice or there was some quantifiable deception or slight-of-hand, that should be a consideration as well. Monetary support under those circumstances should be an election, not an obligation.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:31 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,415,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes but it's unlikely the 9 year old would have known she had to report it immediately. That said, as tough of a situation as that may be, I still wouldn't approve of abortion.

It's pretty scary that we have 9 year olds who actually can get pregnant in the first place.
If I was the parental guardian of an impregnated 9 year old rape victim.. I wouldn't ask the kid what she wanted.. she'd be getting that abortion asap!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
If I was the parental guardian of an impregnated 9 year old rape victim.. I wouldn't ask the kid what she wanted.. she'd be getting that abortion asap!
It would be a VERY, VERY tough call. I'm with you there. I can't even begin to speculate how I would handle it if that girl was my daughter.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It would be a VERY, VERY tough call. I'm with you there. I can't even begin to speculate how I would handle it if that girl was my daughter.
ROFLMFAO

Absolutely not! Easiest call I'd ever have to make.. that f-in thing would be outta there!!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
ROFLMFAO

Absolutely not! Easiest call I'd ever have to make.. that f-in thing would be outta there!!!!
Even with her only being 9...you would most likely be unable to FORCE it. I understand fully that a 9 year old child cannot make any type of informed decision or even begin to comprehend it...but if she told them no, they couldn't legally perform it.

What I agreed with you on was that it would be an extremely hard situation to deal with (I perceived that you would feel that way from your post).

I think that NONE of us really know what we would do if we were in that position...it's so unthinkable.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-20-2009 at 01:53 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 02:03 PM

^Dude.. I know what I would do... protect the child 1st and foremost. I believe in the right to abortion, period. You prob know that, already. Having said that, I hope I never ever make the choice to abort because I'm torn about spiritual issues like is there a soul assigned to the clump of cells, etc. Also, I hold myself to the standard you outlined earlier.. which is don't spread your legs unless you can handle any accidents even with protection. But.. I'm telling you right now.. if my 9 year old daughter were in that situation I would do whatever necessary to remove the embryo from her body. I am very close with my child and can't imagine being a parent with it being otherwise.. and whatever I think is best is what my kid would do. I'm telling you without hesitation.. that thing would be outta there!! No ifs, ands, or buts.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
^Dude.. I know what I would do... protect the child 1st and foremost. I believe in the right to abortion, period. You prob know that, already. Having said that, I hope I never ever make the choice to abort because I'm torn about spiritual issues like is there a soul assigned to the clump of cells, etc. Also, I hold myself to the standard you outlined earlier.. which is don't spread your legs unless you can handle any accidents even with protection. But.. I'm telling you right now.. if my 9 year old daughter were in that situation I would do whatever necessary to remove the embryo from her body. I am very close with my child and can't imagine being a parent with it being otherwise.. and whatever I think is best is what my kid would do. I'm telling you without hesitation.. that thing would be outta there!! No ifs, ands, or buts.
I'd probably feel the same way. At the same time, thinking about it logically, I'd realize that "soul" was my grandchild's.

I'm not trying to start an argument...but saying what you WILL do and being so absolute doesn't mean anything. The simple fact is that ANY parent would struggle more than I can even imagine when deciding what to do about their 9 year old daughter's pregnancy. I'm 99.99999% sure you've never been in that position and...unless and until you are (and I certainly hope you never are, that I never am, and that absolutely no one else is) you can't say for certain what you would do.

I will concede that I'm not sure whether abortion should be permitted or not if the child has any type of developmental issues or disabilities that can be discovered before birth. I'd say with a 9 year old mother, the chance of that is actually pretty likely. In that case, I'd be much more willing to approve of the abortion.

My biggest problem with abortion is the women who are using it as another birth control method. That's the bottom line. It's just extremely tacky and terrible.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:40 PM

^Hey brother! We both know my position on this... I've stated it in other forums/threads... to say that I can't know anything up until I'm exactly in that situation is (in my opinion) childish, silly, & absurd. Of course, I have never been in that situation but I'm in my 30s and have lived a lot of life.. I've been around the block quite a few times and I can tell you with REASONABLE certainty what my reaction would be. If you want to entertain the idea that I can't know something until I'm in that situation.. it is very easy to see how ludicrous that sounds. Something that you've not yet experienced.. child birth... so maybe you should have no opinion about that, period. I've never served as President so maybe I should have no opinion about who should hold office.. maybe I shouldn't have the right to vote. You know this bible that you keep thumping.. well you've never seen your God.. maybe you shouldn't have faith in that either. Come on! That's such a cop out.. you just can't stand that my opinion is different than yours so default to.. well... you can't really know that anyway.. lol.

And.. as to the embryo's 'soul'... I have no issue with aborting the fetus of a 9 year old child.. that is one 'murder' I'll gladly pay for.. if it comes down to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates