Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 PM

604 posts, read 1,186,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And thats the same right a woman has if she decides to get an abortion. What he is saying is he wants the exact same rights as the woman.

That right is

Do you want to keep the child (ie feed, pay for, care for, be responsible for) from an unwanted pregnancy?

Women have this right, they can get an abortion. Men do not have this right, we can't get an abortion, nor force a woman to get one. It wouldn't be right to force a woman to get an abortion, or to have to carry a child that she doesn't want.

Whats good for the goose, is good for the gander right.
So that's why I presented the idea that women have to obtain consent from the man before getting an abortion. Then they too, have this right.
Like I said, that's not good enough, you want the right to abandon your child. You said you can't force an abortion, so you can't FORCE her to just get rid of it, cause that's not right. Yet, you want the right to 'get rid of it' by walking away just because 'you don't want it'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
By my assessment, your arguments are just anti male, what have you got against men? When I look are YOUR statements that is what I bring from it. When it comes down to it all you want is the ability to tell a man what to do..and that is not your right.
Anti-male? Not even close. My best friends are men, grown men, with chidren.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:15 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
I understand what you're saying. You want an 'out'. You want the right to walk away, the right to abandon your unborn child. You don't think a man needs to pay child support or be a father to a child he did not want. I know all this.
Okay, I have to know do you think it is okay for a woman to have an abortion or give their child up for adoption?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Okay, I have to know do you think it is okay for a woman to have an abortion or give their child up for adoption?
Why does it matter what I think is okay?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Why does it matter what I think is okay?
Because you cannot have double standards. If it is wrong for a man to abandon his kid(s) then it is equally as wrong for a woman to do this in any form.

If you state that it is wrong for a woman to do this then I will think that you are just looking out for the child, which I can respect. But then you would also be stating that it is wrong for a woman do what is right for the child in some cases.

If you state that it is okay for a woman to get an abortion or give her kid(s) up for adoption then you have double standards and just have a thing against men.

In any case, I know men that have signed over the rights to the child to the mother and she still wants his money, but wont let him see the kid. I also know guys that have no right to be a father and are bad role models, but hey, they support the kids, so good or bad role model who cares as long and the mother and kids have his money.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:48 PM

So to answer the OP, YES. They are. Men are obligated. Of course they are. Silly question. How could one argue otherwise?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Because you cannot have double standards. If it is wrong for a man to abandon his kid(s) then it is equally as wrong for a woman to do this in any form.

If you state that it is wrong for a woman to do this then I will think that you are just looking out for the child, which I can respect. But then you would also be stating that it is wrong for a woman do what is right for the child in some cases.

If you state that it is okay for a woman to get an abortion or give her kid(s) up for adoption then you have double standards and just have a thing against men.

So you still want the right to abandon your child. This makes no sense. I'm done.

In any case, I know men that have signed over the rights to the child to the mother and she still wants his money, but wont let him see the kid. I also know guys that have no right to be a father and are bad role models, but hey, they support the kids, so good or bad role model who cares as long and the mother and kids have his money.
Take a look at what you're advocating and why. I'll never support it. No one will....except for guys who want the right to walk away from their child with no obligation or responsibility. It doesn't matter why. And I can't make you see that.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:13 PM

so it is okay for a woman to abandon her children or have an abortion but if a man decides he is not fit or ready to be a father then he is a bastard?

So you see what you are advocating? you have to ask why is the guy doing so...he may have a valid reason. you would not shun a woman for having an abortion or abandoning her kids for pretty much any reason. So why would you a man?

Trust me some men should not be fathers in any form, be that in the kids life or just a paycheck.

another thing that pisses me off is when a woman remarries and her ex husband or the father of her kids still has to pay child support? It is obviously not about providing for the child at this point it is to be a ***** and *********r ex. If a woman remarries then the father of the children should not have to pay anymore. She has the income from her new husband and it should be enough.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:42 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
So that's why I presented the idea that women have to obtain consent from the man before getting an abortion. Then they too, have this right.
Like I said, that's not good enough, you want the right to abandon your child. You said you can't force an abortion, so you can't FORCE her to just get rid of it, cause that's not right. Yet, you want the right to 'get rid of it' by walking away just because 'you don't want it'.

Where did they get this RIGHT? There is no such Right

Old 07-25-2009, 12:43 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Can't a man voluntarily terminate his parental rights? Seems as if he got a lawyer, he could choose to fight becoming a "coerced father"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates