Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 06:50 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times

Advertisements

Friendly Center and Thruway both seem to be hybrid lifestyle & community shopping centers, because I wouldn't put either in one of those categories altogether. Friendly Center became more noticeably upscale over the years. Thruway, while it thrives as one of Winston-Salem's primary shopping destinations, still remains on about the same demographic, with a continuing healthy tenant mix.

I would give Friendly Center about a 70/30 mix (70% lifestyle) and Thruway about a 30/70 mix (30% lifestyle). Friendly's tenant mix is upscale, but not what I would call upper-upscale. Thruway's tenant mix is lower-upscale.

https://www.tripinfo.com/tips/types-of-shopping-centers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 07:31 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Friendly Center and Thruway both seem to be hybrid lifestyle & community shopping centers, because I wouldn't put either in one of those categories altogether. Friendly Center became more noticeably upscale over the years. Thruway, while it thrives as one of Winston-Salem's primary shopping destinations, still remains on about the same demographic, with a continuing healthy tenant mix.

I would give Friendly Center about a 70/30 mix (70% lifestyle) and Thruway about a 30/70 mix (30% lifestyle). Friendly's tenant mix is upscale, but not what I would call upper-upscale. Thruway's tenant mix is lower-upscale.

https://www.tripinfo.com/tips/types-of-shopping-centers
I do like how Friendly incorporated Luxury mixed use developments, similar to what is seen in North Hills, really meshes in with the area.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:37 PM

185 posts, read 199,358 times
Yea those new apts look amazing at Friendly. Does Thruway have any land to grow on that they could add something like that?

Old 01-30-2020, 06:52 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
Yea those new apts look amazing at Friendly. Does Thruway have any land to grow on that they could add something like that?
No, not really. Thruway is fairly wedged in by B-40, Stratford and Knollwood, with no adjacent greenfield property. There is some redevelopment happening in the nearby Ardmore Terrace complex, but that's been a battle too.

I don't think adding housing to the Thruway area would be a priority anyway. Most of the apartment/condo heat right now in Winston is focused on downtown and the West End.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:06 AM

6,158 posts, read 7,228,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
I do like how Friendly incorporated Luxury mixed use developments, similar to what is seen in North Hills, really meshes in with the area.
Roy Carroll has a development planned across the street from the Shops at Friendly as well. Friendly Center in Greensboro is pretty much on the rich side of town. Friendly Center borders midtown so I can see a Greensboro version of North Hills happening here. Maybe not as tall in height for some time.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:17 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,057,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Roy Carroll has a development planned across the street from the Shops at Friendly as well. Friendly Center in Greensboro is pretty much on the rich side of town. Friendly Center borders midtown so I can see a Greensboro version of North Hills happening here. Maybe not as tall in height for some time.
By this, you mean not in our lifetimes I assume? Heck, they have a building under construction in North Hills right now that will be taller than all but one building in Greensboro. The most I could see over by there in some time is 10ish story apartment development or mid-rise offices. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:31 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
By this, you mean not in our lifetimes I assume? Heck, they have a building under construction in North Hills right now that will be taller than all but one building in Greensboro. The most I could see over by there in some time is 10ish story apartment development or mid-rise offices. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I like Friendly a lot and obviously the "town center" developments are the future for upper scale brick and mortar retail, but it's not really fair to Friendly to compare it to North Hills. To me it has the most potential in Greensboro to expand as a real destination for people to live work play and visit. For the whole region really. But that doesn't mean it has to be Greensboros version of NH.

I agree with what you said. I wouldn't be surprised at more 7-10 story higher density projects going up at some point in the future but to get to the type of development that NH is going through is a completely different ball game. The 20 story office tower isn't even finished and it's 100% pre leased. Then the Walter is supposed to be 386ft last draft I saw but that has been revised since then with a different top that looks like it might be closer to 400ft. The new proposals for the JCPennys lots though, something like that I think can and should be the next steps for both Greensboro and WS. Assuming the money makes it work of course.

I'm not as familiar with Thruway. Is this more of a mixed use development that has the potential to keep expanding on that or is it only retail right now?

Old 01-30-2020, 12:47 PM

Thruway is all retail with a few restaurants sprinkled in.. as someone mentioned it's got a mix of retail from high end to mid range.. my main issue with it , is its not esthetically pleasing to the eye.. it's like a strip mall with a huge parking lot in middle. No green areas or little places to sit.. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's all full or if there are more spots available for stores to go in there?

Old 01-30-2020, 12:53 PM

Oh also was wondering about the "shops on little creek" aera.. that area implies the side of the road where cheddars, Famous Toastery and the apts are and not the Target shopping center on other side of road correct? If I'm correct then I gotta say theres not really any shops to shop at on little creek.. most of it looks like businesses. Would be nice if they had more retail stores there to walk in after u eat dinner there , without having to go up or across the st.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:14 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times
The mall should be recruiting a first class theater with reclining seats and a hipster bar. Even Tyson’s Corner AMC has a bar and reclining seats now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point