Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 01:54 PM

6,158 posts, read 7,228,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
I agree with what you said Gsoboi78 about Winston needing to build a lifestyle center like Friendly.. The thruway shopping center just ain't cutting it.. Its basically a giant parking lot... Hmmm what if all those shops transfer to Hanes Mall and then they could just rebuild thruway from scratch?! That would really be neat since the land is there already.. On that note.. what other areas in Winston do u think lifestyle center could be built at? All I can think of is Peter's creek parkway . Tear down the strip mall and gentrify the area more. The shops on little creek is nice but that area is already to congested with traffic...
Would be nice to see Winston-Salem do something bold and Maybe build it downtown. Why not? Business 40 and Hwy 52 intersect downtown so there is easy access, downtown has a growing residential population. Maybe give the innovation quarter a major retail element. Winston-Salem was one of the first cities in the country to have a downtown "research park" why not a major lifestyle center with some of the stores you see in malls with upscale stores and anchor tenants such as an Apple Store? It would do fine without department store anchors. I think this is the future of brick and mortar retail. Build it in the urban core with millennials in mind with stores like Abercrombie & Fitch and some high end stores for the young urban professionals. In turn it would attract even more residential downtown. Attracting shoppers downtown would be good for the restaurants and other establishments as well. This is the answer to a dying obsolete Hanes Mall.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-12-2020 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 02:05 PM

322 posts, read 667,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
I don't understand your point. People like Target and I suspect it does well there.
For starters, North Hills is not a mall. It’s shops and anchor are not enclosed like the subjects in this thread, Hanes Mall and Four Seasons. The Target at North Hills has an exterior entrance from a stacked parking deck. The other shops and the Renaissance Hotel are designed toward pedestrian shoppers driving automobiles. I didn’t say shoppers don’t like to shop at Target, but I certainly would not expect to shop at one (as I do) at an upscale shopping destination such as North Hills, with other high end retailers. I consider (and again, I love to shop there too) Target to be a hip, and aggressive super store like KMart that has toiletries, groceries, school supplies, and home goods as well as clothing, jewelry and electronics. Target is a different animal compared to the traditional department stores such as Belk, Dillard’s, or Macy’s, that have anchored enclosed malls for years.

Hanes Mall and Four Seasons are two of the first and oldest malls in North Carolina. Hanes Mall is ‘73, I think? When it was expanded, it became and remains the largest Mall in the Carolinas. That’s a lot of square footage to fill. Macy’s has been sliding for a long time. It may not be long before they close all their stores outside of major cities if buyer trends of online purchasing continues. I was in the SouthPark Macy’s in Charlotte just before Christmas, and the store looked like a train wreck. If you don’t keep up (like your Target, which has recently remodeled it’s stores), you’ll die a quick death these days. Pier One and Old Navy are both on the verge of declaring bankruptcy. In the Walmart world we live in, millennials will not be able to save brick and mortar retail armed with smartphones.

Last edited by wsnc62; 01-12-2020 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-12-2020, 02:08 PM

569 posts, read 342,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I think the point was that North Hills isn't a "mall" anymore. Not the traditional enclosed malls that are being discussed anyways.
Not sure about that - didn't understand the necessity to keep things "real and clear". It should be obvious at at all mixed use developments include retail, grocery stores etc and NH is no different. I am still confused by the need to keep real and clear.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:22 PM

569 posts, read 342,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
For starters, North Hills is not a mall. It’s shops and anchor are not enclosed like the subjects in this thread, Hanes Mall and Four Seasons. The Target at North Hills has an exterior entrance from a stacked parking deck. The other shops and the Renaissance Hotel are designed toward pedestrian shoppers driving automobiles. I didn’t say shoppers don’t like to shop at Target, but I certainly would not expect to shop at one (as I do) at an upscale shopping destination such as North Hills, with other high end retailers. I consider (and again, I love to shop there too) Target to be a hip, and aggressive super store like KMart that has toiletries, groceries, school supplies, and home goods as well as clothing, jewelry and electronics. Target is a different animal compared to the traditional department stores such as Belk, Dillard’s, or Macy’s, that have anchored enclosed malls for years.

Hanes Mall and Four Seasons are two of the first and oldest malls in North Carolina. Hanes Mall is ‘73, I think? When it was expanded, it became and remains the largest Mall in the Carolinas. That’s a lot of square footage to fill. Macy’s has been sliding for a long time. It may not be long before they close all their stores outside of major cities if buyer trends of online purchasing continues. Pier One and Old Navy are both on the verge of declaring bankruptcy. In the Walmart world we live in, millennials will not be able to save brick and mortar retail armed with smartphones.

Perhaps you missed my original point. I used North Hills as an example of how a dying mall could be redeveloped into a "live-work-play" cluster. I did not intend to state that NH today is any sort of mall because it is not. It does include office, residential, retail and restaurants among other amenities. You could literally live there, work there, and shop there without using your car if you choose to do so.

To suggest that having a Target there is somehow less desirable than having all snobbish high end stores is false in my opinion.

I believe that most existing malls today will be significantly redeveloped as time moves on, although most not on the scale of North Hills, which has no rival between Washington DC and Atlanta.

Last edited by Mr. Raleigh; 01-12-2020 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-13-2020, 08:38 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
In the Walmart world we live in, millennials will not be able to save brick and mortar retail armed with smartphones.
Maybe not by themselves but along with Gen Z, they just might pull it off. https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesb...-and-gen-zers/

Old 01-14-2020, 02:43 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
Sorry to hear the Macy's at Hanes Mall is closing. It was once a nice, large, successful department store back when it was Hecht's. It does not appear Macy's has done a good job operating its NC stores acquired from the May store merger, as several have already closed. Hopefully the nice remaining Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro stores can be upgraded and maintained, but Belk tends to dominate the department store sector in the Carolinas.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:35 PM

241 posts, read 237,802 times
Hate to see news like this. There was a shooting there earlier today. This is the 2nd shooting in 5 months when another man was killed outside BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse back in August. https://myfox8.com/2020/01/24/1-pers...winston-salem/

Old 01-25-2020, 05:05 AM

6,158 posts, read 7,228,112 times
Does Hanes Mall have a steady security patrol like Four Seasons? At Four Seasons they wont even allow you to stand and talk in the parking lot. You have to keep moving.

Winston needs a shopping alternative to Hanes Mall.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:17 AM

102 posts, read 121,880 times
Thruway is an alt

Old 01-28-2020, 07:20 AM

185 posts, read 199,358 times
I really wonder why Pottery Barn didnt try to go in thruway. That would of really gotten thruway on the path to becoming like Friendly Center. Of course maybe there just wasn't any space available? On that note... does anyone know if there is lease space available at thruway for any new stores to come too or is it all filled up? I just havent been impressed with the store lineup that is there now.. The Dewey's there, will always hold a place in my heart due to childhood memories of getting pink lemonade cake squares at, after spending hours in Steinmart with my mom and grandma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point