Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 08:26 PM

569 posts, read 342,118 times

Advertisements

All traditional enclosed malls are struggling. Most won't survive. A Dave & Busters is a sure sign that a mall is near death.

Heck, Duke University recently purchased a piece of Northgate Mall in Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 09:56 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,057,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
All traditional enclosed malls are struggling. Most won't survive. A Dave & Busters is a sure sign that a mall is near death.

Heck, Duke University recently purchased a piece of Northgate Mall in Durham.
I don't know about that. I think the general idea of what a mall should be is starting to change. Most malls have a D&B or something like it these days. In Virginia Beach (where I lived until a few years ago), Lynnhaven Mall is actually starting to do pretty well again and Dave and Busters is one of the big tenants there. Four Seasons in Greensboro just got a Round 1 (very similar to D&B) a couple years ago.

That said, I do think Hanes is in trouble.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:45 PM

6,158 posts, read 7,228,112 times
Hanes lost two department stores. Four Seasons lost one in recent years. Technically two. Four Seasons use to have four department stores. There was a Tallheimers on the lower level that closed years ago. Tallheimers became Hechts which then became Macy's. But the death of two department stores in recent period of time is not a good sign for Hanes Mall. The department stores are what anchors malls and without them, malls die similar to what happened to Carolina Circle Mall in Greensboro. Malls have to reinvent themselves as primarily an entertainment destination with retail to survive. Places like Dave and Busters and Round One is a good start but I think malls need to go further. There are some malls in larger cities that are including apartments and amusement parks inside with rides and roller coasters. Others are building indoor water parks and aquariums. This is the way to go. However I would not like to see the kind of entertainment options that you see popping up in downtown. We wouldn't want to see malls competing with downtowns again. But entertainment options that you typically don't find in downtowns like Top Golf or amusement parks are the way to keep malls alive.

I think if it weren't for the decline of brick and mortar department stores, we'd be seeing a Neiman Marcus popping up in Friendly Center in Greensboro today.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-11-2020 at 10:56 PM..

Old 01-12-2020, 08:45 AM

In Raleigh, North Hills was a struggling dated mall which was eventually completely demolished, with the land being redeveloped into a completely different concept. Crabtree Valley mall is still somewhat successful, but the owners are planning to demolish the former Sears section, and replace with an office - hotel tower. The remaining mall will remain, as is, for now.

Malls will continue to decline faster than mall owners can address the problem by redevelopment. In the meantime, you will continue to see temporary "pop up" stores and Dave & Busters.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:23 AM

6,158 posts, read 7,228,112 times
I think what Winston-Salem should do is build a lifestyle outdoor center similar to Friendly and part of the Streets of Southpoint in Durham. It doesn't have to be anchored by major department stores though. Maybe a collection of upscale shops, residential, entertainment and some office. The city needs to find some other retail concept before Hanes Mall really goes down hill.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:25 AM

322 posts, read 667,015 times
Just to keep it clear and real, the largest, anchor tenant at North Hills is a Target.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Just to keep it clear and real, the largest, anchor tenant at North Hills is a Target.
I don't understand your point. People like Target and I suspect it does well there. However Kane was smart enough to bury it on the lower level, back side of the development. He also buried the Harris Teeter inside an apartment building, in a similar manner. Even hip wealthy people like to buy groceries and general merchandise apparently.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:32 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
I don't understand your point. People like Target and I suspect it does well there. However Kane was smart enough to bury it on the lower level, back side of the development. He also buried the Harris Teeter inside an apartment building, in a similar manner. Even hip wealthy people like to buy groceries and general merchandise apparently.
I think the point was that North Hills isn't a "mall" anymore. Not the traditional enclosed malls that are being discussed anyways.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:06 PM

185 posts, read 199,358 times
I agree with what you said Gsoboi78 about Winston needing to build a lifestyle center like Friendly.. The thruway shopping center just ain't cutting it.. Its basically a giant parking lot... Hmmm what if all those shops transfer to Hanes Mall and then they could just rebuild thruway from scratch?! That would really be neat since the land is there already.. On that note.. what other areas in Winston do u think lifestyle center could be built at? All I can think of is Peter's creek parkway . Tear down the strip mall and gentrify the area more. The shops on little creek is nice but that area is already to congested with traffic...

Old 01-12-2020, 01:13 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,432,987 times
Peters Creek needs to be completely revamped as an walkable urban strollway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point