Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 01:34 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
G-man have you heard anything about Ollies coming to Greenville? I know they opened a store in Spartanburg before the holidays and I read somewhere they were looking for locations in Greenville, Anderson, Greenwood etc. They are like Big Lots and tend to go into spaces where other retailers have vacated. They have a lot of crap but fun to look through. They are kind of like how Big Lots used to be before they started cleaning up their act.
Nothing on this end sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Still the Mauldin Ingles rarely looks busy and why do they want to be directly across the street from BILO and Publix? Not sure why they would want to throw any more money into that location. Like Ingles or not I still think they are third choice in this area for most people when it comes to supermarkets unless they are the only choice in a certain area.
Outside of Greenville County, Ingle's is dominant. Check out Anderson, Cherokee, Oconee, Pickens, and Spartanburg counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm with you and have thought the same thing that Ingles should build a Superstore at W. Georgia Rd. Though I sometimes shop at Ingles for their sales, I find both the Mauldin and Simpsonville stores, dark and depressing. Also they are rarely busy (but that could be a plus).

You mentioned that there are several grocery stores around Ingles...I think Ingles needs to do something different to bring in customers. Publix has the best customer service and experience. Maybe Ingles could transfrom itself into something like a Wegmans.
West Georgia Road remains a great corridor for a Bi-Lo, Ingle's, or Publix. Food Lion is already there, and it has its limitations. Either chains can benefit from an additional location here.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:36 PM

214 posts, read 301,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm with you and have thought the same thing that Ingles should build a Superstore at W. Georgia Rd. Though I sometimes shop at Ingles for their sales, I find both the Mauldin and Simpsonville stores, dark and depressing. Also they are rarely busy (but that could be a plus).
Years ago Ingles had a location at W. Georgia Rd and 385. Of course, that was before anything was on W Georgia Rd and I remember the few times we stopped in, it was never crowded.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
Years ago Ingles had a location at W. Georgia Rd and 385. Of course, that was before anything was on W Georgia Rd and I remember the few times we stopped in, it was never crowded.
I remember this location. Ingle's opened in the late 1970s on the eastern side of I-385 with a drugstore, likely Rite Aid. It relocated to Fairview Station in the late 1980s when Kmart opened a Simpsonville location. (Kmart closed in 2004, and its space is now Kohl's.) The former Ingle's was demolished four years ago.

Ingle's was once the only supermarket along the Fairview Road corridor west of I-385. Three competitors have joined the field in the late 1990s/early 2000s: Bi-Lo, Publix, and Walmart.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,020,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Outside of Greenville County, Ingle's is dominant. Check out Anderson, Cherokee, Oconee, Pickens, and Spartanburg counties.

West Georgia Road remains a great corridor for a Bi-Lo, Ingle's, or Publix. Food Lion is already there, and it has its limitations. Either chains can benefit from an additional location here.
I disagree Bilo has lead the marketshare in the upstate and the entire state for that matter for a long time. Wal-mart is fast catching up.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,020,781 times
Quote:
I disagree Bilo has lead the marketshare in the upstate and the entire state for that matter for a long time. Wal-mart is fast catching up.
Actually on second thought Wal-mart has probably pulled ahead of everyone. Someone publishes those numbers. I think it is called "Shelby Report"

Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I said nothing about marketshare. Clarifying myself, Ingle's has more locations than Bi-Lo outside Greenville County. Ingle's has no locations in Greenwood or Laurens Counties.

Until its store closures recently, Food Lion had more locations than Bi-Lo. If you are looking at marketshare by the amount of locations, Bi-Lo is followed by Publix, Piggly Wiggly, and Ingle's. Walmart is not included because it does not fit under the traditional supermarket classification.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
Where is Piggly Wiggly in the Upstate?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Where is Piggly Wiggly in the Upstate?
they have one in greenwood, ninety six, ware shoals, mostly very rural towns, they closed down a few last year I believe

Old 01-25-2012, 01:00 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,843,540 times
I went to stop at jack in the box in easley(hwy 123) this morning, the dining room is gutted and no lights, anyone know if they are closed for good or just remodeling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area