Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoann View Post
Here is a link to an article on TR in SC Living:

http://www.travelersrestsc.com/SC_Li...10_article.pdf

We have to make the final decision on which builder we are going with, but we should be able to break ground next month for our house in TR. We're too excited for words!
Thanks for the link! I completely forget that Paris Mountain State Park is also within a short distance (never really mentally connected the two before now).

I think someone could really do well opening a B&B or hostel in TR geared towards outdoorsy-types coming to the area for the state parks. It's pretty centrally located, and has the right feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Here is a link to an article on TR in SC Living:

http://www.travelersrestsc.com/SC_Li...10_article.pdf

We have to make the final decision on which builder we are going with, but we should be able to break ground next month for our house in TR. We're too excited for words!
Great link on TR. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:21 PM

266 posts, read 300,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
I'm truly impressed! Living in an area with a good bike trail is an asset indeed. We have one right across the street from our FL home, and it is very popular. It's nowhere near as nice as the one in TR, though. Ours is a strip of asphalt, period. You're right about small businesses flourishing along the trails; that has happened here. I'm so glad we chose TR for our future home (assuming we can ever get out of FL).
It took me 3 years to get out of Stuart Fl, but I finally made it this October. I will never look back,the TR area is wonderful! I got a decent job can pay the bills and enjoy 10 acres of beauty compared to my quarter acre in Fl.People are wonderful here,kinda like it used to be there in the 70's.To New York Born or any other naysayers,you should have planned better,if you want peaceful,easy living,this is the place. My stress factor no longer exists up here! And no I am not wealthy,just a average Joe who has to work to make ends meet.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 AM

843 posts, read 2,746,720 times
Man, that looks amazing! I haven't been through TR in a year or two and this is an impressive transformation!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:53 PM

47 posts, read 101,660 times
Default Choosing TR

We visited Greenville in the spring of '07 on a scouting trip for a retirement location. We fell in love, so we followed up with a trip in the fall with every intention of buying an existing house in an established neighborhood. On both trips, DH booked us into the TR Hampton Inn as being a more frugal alternative to the one downtown.

As we looked at houses, we realized that each of us had always dreamed of building a custom home, so the search changed to finding a lot. We weren't looking for acreage, but we did want to be surrounded by trees and to be able to sit on our deck or porch with some privacy to enjoy the birds and squirrels. Serendipitously, we found a small neighborhood of about 2 dozen houses in TR with a 2 acre lot for sale.

Before committing to this lot, I did something which I would highly recommend: I thought about the things that I do or want to do from day-to-day to see if the location fit with practicality and the vision of how I wanted to live. I went to the nearby grocery stores and the ones that I thought I would go by (like the one down by Furman) on my daily routine. I visited the library since I am there several times a week. I can go for 3 months and never set foot in our local mall, so that I knew Cherrydale would satisfy my shopping needs. From staying at the Hampton Inn, we knew that 1/2 hour trip could get us to good hiking and that 15-20 minutes (depending on the lights) would get me to either of the downtown churches I would likely join.

At this point in my life, I just want to have a house that is uniquely mine, a place to sit outdoors with a dog in my lap and something productive to do to keep me off the streets & out of DH's hair. That is why I was thinking about an alternative teaching certificate so I could pass on my knowledge an love of math and science and give back to the community by have an impact on the young lives that are so important to our future. If that is too much of a hassle, then I'll just go get myself one of those high tech jobs and continue to have a blast doing new & different things.

Will I miss some things about TX? Of course, I still miss things about NJ, as strange at that may sound. Do I want Greenville & environs to be just like TX, but with cooler weather and mountains? No, I want it to be what it is and appreciate it for that while trying to make some positive contribution so it is even better. That TR is really doing things to spruce up is just the cherry on top of what what a pretty good ice cream sundae, to start with.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
We visited Greenville in the spring of '07 on a scouting trip for a retirement location. We fell in love, so we followed up with a trip in the fall with every intention of buying an existing house in an established neighborhood. On both trips, DH booked us into the TR Hampton Inn as being a more frugal alternative to the one downtown.

As we looked at houses, we realized that each of us had always dreamed of building a custom home, so the search changed to finding a lot. We weren't looking for acreage, but we did want to be surrounded by trees and to be able to sit on our deck or porch with some privacy to enjoy the birds and squirrels. Serendipitously, we found a small neighborhood of about 2 dozen houses in TR with a 2 acre lot for sale.

Before committing to this lot, I did something which I would highly recommend: I thought about the things that I do or want to do from day-to-day to see if the location fit with practicality and the vision of how I wanted to live. I went to the nearby grocery stores and the ones that I thought I would go by (like the one down by Furman) on my daily routine. I visited the library since I am there several times a week. I can go for 3 months and never set foot in our local mall, so that I knew Cherrydale would satisfy my shopping needs. From staying at the Hampton Inn, we knew that 1/2 hour trip could get us to good hiking and that 15-20 minutes (depending on the lights) would get me to either of the downtown churches I would likely join.

At this point in my life, I just want to have a house that is uniquely mine, a place to sit outdoors with a dog in my lap and something productive to do to keep me off the streets & out of DH's hair. That is why I was thinking about an alternative teaching certificate so I could pass on my knowledge an love of math and science and give back to the community by have an impact on the young lives that are so important to our future. If that is too much of a hassle, then I'll just go get myself one of those high tech jobs and continue to have a blast doing new & different things.

Will I miss some things about TX? Of course, I still miss things about NJ, as strange at that may sound. Do I want Greenville & environs to be just like TX, but with cooler weather and mountains? No, I want it to be what it is and appreciate it for that while trying to make some positive contribution so it is even better. That TR is really doing things to spruce up is just the cherry on top of what what a pretty good ice cream sundae, to start with.
OK, now I'm in tears... How wonderful. And your wanting to share your knowledge of math & science is an example of how people moving here from outside the area enriches and enhances life in this area. Brava!

Old 01-28-2010, 06:04 PM

137 posts, read 396,722 times
Default Rails to Trails Conservancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuguy2 View Post
The post the other day about Travelers Rest piqued my interest on the Greenway Trail. I searched for more info on this site about the Greenway Trail. I only found two post on the subject. Where do I find more info and better yet comments about the trail? Thanks.
Here's another site that has information on Trails across the country. Our Swamp Rabbit Trail has good coverage there, including pictures, and you can compare it to other similar trails:

TrailLink :: Carolina Swamp Rabbit Trail

I agree that this is going to be a real benefit to the area, both adding to property values, and increasing commercial interest. I've already ridden this upper section several times, and hiked all of it, including Conestee many times.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:10 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,091 times
Hey guys.....I drove up to TR after seeing Wicked in Greenville yesterday afternoon. I hit Sunrift adventures and then went looking for something to eat. I didn't find anything around SUnrift so I went back out to a shopping plaza (the one with the Publix) and found a pizza place. Is there anything off of the main street there where Sunrift is? What should I look for when I go back and are there any cool little restaurants in TR to hit?

Old 01-29-2010, 05:12 PM

The Cafe @ Williams Hardware is on the opposite side of the main street, and a little down the block from Sunrift. Not sure what the hours are, but I know they do lunch and dinner. Menu looked interesting!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
The Cafe @ Williams Hardware is on the opposite side of the main street, and a little down the block from Sunrift. Not sure what the hours are, but I know they do lunch and dinner. Menu looked interesting!

The hours are Mon- Friday 10- 6 for the gift shop and 11-2 for the Cafe.
Saturdays 10-3 for Brunch and gift shop 10-6
Thursday , Friday and Saturday nights Dinner is 5:30 - 8 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area