Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 11:00 AM

152 posts, read 616,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCfromGreenville View Post
Recently I was looking about moving to central NJ. One calculator I found online said that I would need to make 40% more to break even - mostly because of housing costs.
RCfromGreenville, my wife and I are moving to SC within one year. We live in Central NJ and cannot afford this state with a retirement pension. Property taxes are the "killer". We figure that the move to SC will cut taxes from $8,000 to $1200 for a house similar to the one we own (assessed at around $235,000). Taxes are not the only reason we are moving; we have family living in Anderson, but it is another incentive to move south. Besides the heat during the winter, I guess all other expenses compare with SC. We have visited several times.

Good luck on your move up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 05:55 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
We had our eyeballs on Boiling Springs when we came down here 4 years ago. Coming from Chicago we wanted a higher level of activites to participate in and after careful consideration we decided Spartanburg doesn't offer what Greenville does. We felt Greenville had the better ambiance of the two. You will not make anywhere near what you make anywhere up north but gas here in Mauldin is $2.45 today; property taxes are less, you can even look them up online. A carton of Marlboros for those that care, are $25.99 +sales tax (at over $40 in Chicago at the time, this was a big draw for us). Groceries will be a little less. Our car insurance is half what it was in Chicago. We'd like better jobs but we are getting by on what we have.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 AM

10 posts, read 41,544 times
Son, we moved from San Diego.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 18,125 times
I couldn't run fast enough out of Greenville. True, that housing is cheap, there's lots a concerts and shopping available, and the main passtime is eating out, and the food is the unhealthiest in the nation, but if you like that lifestyle, GO FOR IT! Greenville proves why the south has a reputation for laziness, and people there are never quick to handle anything. If delaying the work gets someone else to do it, so be it!!! Think twice about goin their........

Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Sounds like you made a good move to PA then. Based on your incomplete list (laziness?) of reasons for moving, I don't think anyone will have anything to worry about when considering a move to Greenville. It's like I always tell people in that situation, "Just come for a visit and it will be much easier to decide." It has worked 99.99% of the time for thousands of newcomers and will continue to be the case as long as Greenville is such a great place to live. PA is a very fine state (I have family there), but I could never live comfortably with the wicked cold and long winters they experience annually there. Having lived here for quite a long while, I can honestly say that there are very few important things to complain about regarding quality of life in Greenville. Obviously different people are going to look for different elements in a place though. Fortunately for us, Greenville covers a lot of them at once.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Wink huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeTold2U View Post
I couldn't run fast enough out of Greenville. True, that housing is cheap, there's lots a concerts and shopping available, and the main passtime is eating out, and the food is the unhealthiest in the nation, but if you like that lifestyle, GO FOR IT! Greenville proves why the south has a reputation for laziness, and people there are never quick to handle anything. If delaying the work gets someone else to do it, so be it!!! Think twice about goin their........
wait, housing is cheap, food is good, and there are tons of things to do? yeah, why would anyone want to move here.....lol.
where did you get the statistic that its the most unhealthy food in that nation? granted they seem to have more fried food around here than i'm used to but you're not forced to eat it!
I was told about the laziness,repeatedly when moving here, but I have yet to experience it??????? And you would think that would be right on the money, considering how freaking hot it is here! And of course, the hottest day ever comes one month after I move to town, lol....

Last edited by NoodlesKnowles; 08-16-2007 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-16-2007, 01:10 PM

83 posts, read 484,026 times
Noodles, you're probably not going to believe this, but people in the lowcountry used to come to Greenville to get away from the heat. Actually, I think they were heading to the mountains, but decided that the humidity and avoidance of malaria were enough better in Greenville to save themselves a trip through the mountains.

The average high temperature in July and August over the past 90 years has been 89. I don't think we've had a high temperature under 90 yet this month. It's been awful. I've lived in Greenville for 31 of the past 34 years, and this is the hottest multi-week stretch I can remember.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM

51 posts, read 170,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCfromGreenville View Post
Noodles, you're probably not going to believe this, but people in the lowcountry used to come to Greenville to get away from the heat. Actually, I think they were heading to the mountains, but decided that the humidity and avoidance of malaria were enough better in Greenville to save themselves a trip through the mountains.

The average high temperature in July and August over the past 90 years has been 89. I don't think we've had a high temperature under 90 yet this month. It's been awful. I've lived in Greenville for 31 of the past 34 years, and this is the hottest multi-week stretch I can remember.
Great time to visit, huh? That's Okay! The Northeast gets spats of this, so we should hold up. Still has got to beat the months and months of cold! Looking forward to this Saturdays walk around the down town

Old 08-16-2007, 10:36 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
This is without a doubt the hottest summer of most (if not all) local residents' lives in Greenville. This area actually looks completely different right now than it typically appears this time of year. You ask, "Why?" Well, we experienced a very late freeze that literally destroyed our local peach and apple crops and killed all blossoms and nearly every leaf on all of the trees. Then followed the long months of very unusually dry days (a bad drought), which has done nothing to help our trees and plants regain their stregth and beauty. Add the record-breaking heat we've been experiencing for much longer than I thought possible, and voila, we are seeing leaves turn and fall already because they are dead. This area typically receives tons of annual rainfall, supplying the many streams, rivers, and lakes, as well as providing a rich and moist climate for virtually any kind of plant you can imagine to grow here. Right now some places look a little more like a "desert" than anything else. The good news is that we know this unusual climate change will not return every year and hopefully never again in our lifetime.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:14 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
This is without a doubt the hottest summer of most (if not all) local residents' lives in Greenville. This area actually looks completely different right now than it typically appears this time of year. You ask, "Why?" Well, we experienced a very late freeze that literally destroyed our local peach and apple crops and killed all blossoms and nearly every leaf on all of the trees. Then followed the long months of very unusually dry days (a bad drought), which has done nothing to help our trees and plants regain their stregth and beauty. Add the record-breaking heat we've been experiencing for much longer than I thought possible, and voila, we are seeing leaves turn and fall already because they are dead. This area typically receives tons of annual rainfall, supplying the many streams, rivers, and lakes, as well as providing a rich and moist climate for virtually any kind of plant you can imagine to grow here. Right now some places look a little more like a "desert" than anything else. The good news is that we know this unusual climate change will not return every year and hopefully never again in our lifetime.
And people still think global warming isn't real. The high today was only around 101 degrees again. Maybe we'll get lucky and a tropical storm system will decide to make it's way through here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area