Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 12:25 AM

609 posts, read 1,619,633 times

Advertisements

this is an interesting post. i think it shoudl be taken to city official and addressed

help continue with the good and improve ont he bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 PM

50 posts, read 226,625 times
IMHO the 27 years we've been here were good up until 4-5 years ago.

too much traffic, too much crime, too many stupid politicians, no plan forward

we're looking for something different

Old 10-10-2007, 04:03 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
^^Vision 2025 Home Page We are moving forward.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:15 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail22 View Post

Seems as if you've had your eyes closed the last few years...it's time to open them and see all the change! Greenville is definitely moving forward.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:49 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
Quote:
...we're looking for something different
I hope you'll find whatever you're looking for in the Richmond metro area. Good luck to you!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:

i agree there. There's been a lot of relocating but not a lot of growth. The relocating has left whole streets vacant but they are going to aid efforts to put business back on streets such as Laurens

ICARR makes it unavoidable

Downtown, I must admit has seen growth but it's so repititive. How many restaurants can you really walk to? Nothing really for the 'spontaneous' there in my opinion and definitely nothing diverse about it

I think you can have a fun time sitting and talking downtown at night with a few friends though but if you don't drink... it's a bust

Traffic has definitely gotten bad on the interstate during rush hour. I remember when I came back, I always said I'd have a home in 3 cities and Greenville being one b/c i like it and there was no traffic like Atlanta/charlotte. Wow! I remember when I had to goto a fedex/ups center on Pelham one Friday evening to pick up a package! I was blown back into reality.. took me about an hour to get ot pelham from woodruff Road's i385 exit.

inside the city, Greenville's had one of the worst road plans I've ever seen. And it seems we constantly get taxed over these things but they take forever to complete. When i385 to downtown was getting expanded, I thought it was never going to get completed at one point.

Politicians here.... i really can't remember the last time I saw any of them making a real change in the community with the majority of people. Nobody has stepped in to shake things up a bit and that's what SC needs!

On the up side.. a lot of Good people in Greenville but this Economy needs a jolt..... ICARR will see some change but at the rate at which the textile industry died here, will be interesting to see how the numbers pan out

Old 10-11-2007, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 37,305 times
aaaahhhhh...the ignorance I remember; Greenville really does come off as this perfect place to live, but I can guarantee you it is not! And for those of you who are too caught up defending it to actually listen to reality, don't bother replying!

I have lived in 8 different states in the last 8 years. And just to clarify, they have not been all large cities. The states I've lived in: IA, NE, IN, CO, CT, NY, SC, PA. I was born and raised in the midwest. Not much diversity. Nobody had anything good to say about other races, and you'd hear a few under the table bad comments about other races. In Durango, CO, the only real diversity came from the college and the indian reservations. However, culture was embraced in this predominantly white town (was a tourist attraction in the mountains). But Greenville has brought my experience of racism (bad experience) to a whole new level and one of the biggest reasons why: whites always feel like they're right and superior in Greenville. That's it...bottom line. By the way, I'm white. And it literally disgusted me to see how whites treat people of different cultures and races. And for all of you ignorant people who don't want to open your eyes, keep living in fairytale land. It just makes everyone around you, from states that do embrace culture, look down on you and your state.

Sure, I've heard Greenville is pretty gay friendly. So please, don't bring that up. We are talking about people with different cultures and from a different race. And don't bring up that you may live on one street that has diversity, because I know the majority do not. I lived there, I seen it for myself. And just because your neighbors don't use slurs to your face doesn't mean they don't do so behind your back. Why does everyone try so hard to be fake in Greenville? I could see right through most families...they try to paint a picture perfect family with their fake smiles, etc. but you could tell that when the front door closes, those families are completely different. And the sad part is, they live an unhappy life, maybe not evening knowing they are unhappy, because everyone else around them is doing the same thing. I happen to be very happy w/ my life because I like to keep it real and kick it with people who do the same.

Lastly, I was born and raised in the midwest. Traveled to the western region, eastern, southern, and northern. I by far feel like people from the Northeast are the most honest and real people out there in the U.S. Maybe that is why people from the South don't really like people from the Northeast...because people who live in the Northeast are realists! They say how they feel, they act how they want. No, this doesn't automatically mean there is more crime and people live a lower than standard life. It just means you are able to view life with an open mind, instead of walking around with your blinders on.

Sure, Greenville is growing. But primarily with retirees and people receiving transfers from their jobs. You all defend Greenville so much; but tell me, why is NYC known as the "land of opportunity" for so many? I've never heard of Greenville being called anything similiar to that. That is why I would not recommend Greenville, SC as a place to call home. There are other beautiful places to live that have so much more to offer. You like the mountains...try the Pocanos. You love living healthy and outdoor life...try Colorado Springs. You love your diversity and entertainment...definitely find a way to move to NYC. You love feeling superior to others and not promoting equality...try Greenville, SC.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:23 AM

^ i can't disaggree with you but I can't leave here b/c i was raised here

I feel it's my duty to help the working class here and promote positive things that will bring smiles to the youth of this city

Only ones you can hope for is the youth most of the time but also, I'd like to build things for the sophisticated that keep them in a relaxed, comfortably diverse state

I think if you promote things like the above, more people will be willing to come here and more change will happen

I know some peopel want to promote the city here and all but just realistically, Greenville is still acting like the founders of this city (rebels that ran like cowards from the war and hid in the woods) are still valid in today's society

Cities surrounding are developing at probably double or triple the rate

NC is doing phenomenal developments almost doubling the size of their downtown

Lets pick up the pace, make things happen.. make peopple happy.. truly have a state with smiling faces

Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
Captainrm, since you wrote a duplicate post in two separate threads, I will respond with a duplicate answer. Please come back and answer these questions:

Explain this then; Why is Greenville being flooded with people from the Northeast (mostly from NY) and why do they love it here? By the way, they are actually warmly accepted in this community, in case you failed to see it. I have been saying for awhile now that there seems to be more transplants from the North in Greenville than there are native southerners remaining in the city. I didn't make that comment lightly because it is amazing how many transplants have come and are making a tremendous difference in this place. I encourage you to talk with some of the many international immigrants also living in Greenville and see if they view Greenville as a "land of opportunity." You would be surprised by their response. Perhaps they would be willing to explain to you why their communities are growing here and why their festivals are growing in reputation and attendance.

I live in Greenville today and am completely aware of reality. I say how I feel and act how I want to act, which you say is a Northeasterner's trait, yet people around here do accept me and even like me. When did you experience the city? Yes, it has drastically changed for the best within the past couple of decades. How do you explain the many diverse cultures from around the nation and the globe together happily thriving here today? If this is all just a fake happiness, then everyone would be clamoring to leave instead of deciding to stay to raise their families and make a living here.

I don't doubt that you may have had a bad experience in Greenville - no place is perfect, as we've been saying over and over - but just take a look at the city today and the many wonderful changes happening and planned. If what you said is true, this place is surely on its way out of Hell.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 37,305 times
Honestly, I came here to post my opinion (yes, we all have opinions; I know, you're from Greenville and that is hard to accept somebody might actually speak up in a different tune), so I'm not going to go on and on with you. Is it really that hard to read and try to understand a different perspective? It is what it is, leave it at that. I do understand why people love Greenville. I get their perspective on things. It is just that some of those people are ignorant towards certain ways, cultures, etc. I just visited Greenville a couple weeks ago (not by choice). It is beautiful to look at; then, when you start really looking around, beyond the cosmetics, there are a lot of problems here.

I agree, people from the Northeast relocate to Greenville, SC. However, I would say they do not take up a major part of the population. And the biggest part of the Greenville population from the Northeast is probably retirees (yes, I know you are going to fight this and say differently so there is no need). Even my real estate agent said that. He said they're trying to get it from a retirement community to young and hip. I think they're slowly on their way to accomplishing this...we'll see.

My main point is: I've lived everywhere from a tourist attraction to major city to a place w/ absolutely nothing to do. Don't tell me I don't get Greenville, because I have experienced quite a bit in my time. Greenville is full of people who don't want to face reality. I don't expect you to even try to open your eyes to understand this, because I know you won't. Do you truely feel people in Greenville do not descriminate? Especially against minorities? Come on, wake up already! Live a little and get out in the real world! Until you walk a mile in their shoes, you will not understand. Until then, I don't want to hear it. My opinion isn't going to change. I've visited there, I've lived there, I've heard the naive say its picture perfect w/ their fake attitudes and I've seen what minorities have to struggle with. Oh yeah, I would say 95% of the time it is somebody that is white that just loves Greenville. How come NYC can have all different races love that city? I mean, look at it: cost of living is way too high, too many people, crime, dirty, etc. etc. But what keeps people going back is the diversity. Greenville is good for a certain type of person, just like NYC is good for a certain type of person. Get over it already...I did! I moved on. I just wanted to post my opinion, not continuously debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area