Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times

Advertisements

Since you obviously are out to do nothing but bash Greenville and refuse to answer specific questions relating to the reality of life in the city, we'll have to agree to disagree and be done with it. I don't have a problem with anyone's disagreement if they provide accurate information to support their broad claims about the Greenville community, which I have expert knowledge of believe it or not. Please don't assume that I have not been out in the world to experience other cultures, because I have been to many places all over the states and elsewhere and nearly moved permanantly to a few of them. The changes here have been so strong within the past decade that I have grown more content living here in Greenville. That is one reason I attempt to help others looking for accurate information about this place. I want them to see if life in Greenville can be as pleasant for them as it has been for me - fortunately it is happening at an extremely high rate so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 02:35 PM

29 posts, read 67,729 times
Okay, it's time for me to chime in. I like Greenville, its a good town. Not great but good. Downtown Greenville is pretty and nice - probably one of the best anywhere. But it really bothers me when certain posters (sorry guys) on this and other forums get wildly defensive when someone posts anything even remotely negative about Greenville or one if it's satellite towns or one it's parks or one of it's shopping centers or one of it's somethings.

May I make a suggestion? Temper your replies just a little and you'll be surprised at how much you'll be respected.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:42 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrm View Post
Honestly, I came here to post my opinion (yes, we all have opinions; I know, you're from Greenville and that is hard to accept somebody might actually speak up in a different tune), so I'm not going to go on and on with you. Is it really that hard to read and try to understand a different perspective? It is what it is, leave it at that. I do understand why people love Greenville. I get their perspective on things. It is just that some of those people are ignorant towards certain ways, cultures, etc. I just visited Greenville a couple weeks ago (not by choice). It is beautiful to look at; then, when you start really looking around, beyond the cosmetics, there are a lot of problems here.

I agree, people from the Northeast relocate to Greenville, SC. However, I would say they do not take up a major part of the population. And the biggest part of the Greenville population from the Northeast is probably retirees (yes, I know you are going to fight this and say differently so there is no need). Even my real estate agent said that. He said they're trying to get it from a retirement community to young and hip. I think they're slowly on their way to accomplishing this...we'll see.

My main point is: I've lived everywhere from a tourist attraction to major city to a place w/ absolutely nothing to do. Don't tell me I don't get Greenville, because I have experienced quite a bit in my time. Greenville is full of people who don't want to face reality. I don't expect you to even try to open your eyes to understand this, because I know you won't. Do you truely feel people in Greenville do not descriminate? Especially against minorities? Come on, wake up already! Live a little and get out in the real world! Until you walk a mile in their shoes, you will not understand. Until then, I don't want to hear it. My opinion isn't going to change. I've visited there, I've lived there, I've heard the naive say its picture perfect w/ their fake attitudes and I've seen what minorities have to struggle with. Oh yeah, I would say 95% of the time it is somebody that is white that just loves Greenville. How come NYC can have all different races love that city? I mean, look at it: cost of living is way too high, too many people, crime, dirty, etc. etc. But what keeps people going back is the diversity. Greenville is good for a certain type of person, just like NYC is good for a certain type of person. Get over it already...I did! I moved on. I just wanted to post my opinion, not continuously debate.
If people in Greenville are unwilling to accept reality, then how on earth would the city have made such amazing strides over the past 15-20 years?!? By most accounts, Greenville has made as much progress over that time as any other city that comes to mind. Greenville's downtown is a model that both larger and smaller cities use as a guideline. There are tons of international companies in Greenville that contribute a lot of diversity and open-mindedness. While Greenville isn't perfect, it is a great place to live. The area wouldn't be growing like it is if people did not want to live in Greenville.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:42 PM

50 posts, read 226,665 times
Greenville is moving forward?

Hmmm. I've been in same house for 27 years and they still haven't paved the street with the top coat of aspault.

The folks in Del Norte have been waiting 30 years for the county to do channel improvements to stop flooding but everytime it floods residents forget they blocked the land grants needed to do the wrok.

School board is billion dollars in debt because forever they forgot to build schools
They just replaced all the 30 year old school buses.

unfunded visisons and half baked plans don't shape a community. No one has a vision for anything other than how to make themselves more wealthy.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:50 PM

39 posts, read 157,013 times
I've been silent on the board for quite a while- just monitoring posts, but feel I cannot sit back anymore.
As someone who grew up in this town and left IMMEDIATELY after HS graduation for college elsewhere as well as a career in another state, it is NOT all roses living in Greenville.
I did return to Gvl approximately 2 years ago as a promotion within my company. Before anyone makes any snide remarks, it was between Gvl or a smaller( if even possible) town in the NW. At the time, I chose Greenville and have lived to regret it for the entire 2 years of my return. I will say- that in the 15 or so years since I last lived here, the city has grown. The area around the falls has definitely improved for the better as well as parts of downtown (the WestEnd). But, what has been lost in the meantime.
A city that had 3 malls when I was a teenager (yes, 3- McAlister, Greenville, & Haywood)- now only has 1 sad, pathetic excuse of a shopping center- even though Greenridge isn't bad- thank Heavens for WH-BM and Ann Taylor.
Woodruff Rd was bad in the 90s- now it's a nightmare. I used to live in both Charlotte and Atlanta during grad school and in the beginning of my career and didn't encounter traffic to this extreme. To clarify the last statement- yes, EVERYONE knows Atlanta has traffic, but at least it moves- and it wasn't constantly bumper to bumper on a major thoroughfare like Cobb Pkwy or Tara Blvd, the way it is on Woodruff Rd.
You have people who either plaster the FLAG all over their cars or other places in public and expect others not to be offended by it, yet constantly address those who are not like them (i.e. not white) as if they're less than them. Mind you- those who I am referring to generally work in occupations of service and do not possess the education as those they MAY be looking down upon, but think they are better than them.
BJU- ha- that hasn't changed a bit- just brought in more simple-minded people to the area that have no concept of others having freedom of religion, etc.
Neighborhoods that are not seperated by economic status- which is logical, but by race still. Go fig!
Greenville may be progressing with the various industries looking to develop here, but with the OLD mindset of the "natives"- we've a long way to go.
Oh- I finally must close this out in saying that I am a person of colour with 2 parents that are college-educated. I attended 3 of the best public and private schools in this county(ha!) and didn't have friends who were on welfare or whatever other assumptions and negative comments frequent posters on this board make in reference to those who are not CAUCASIAN.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:53 PM

39 posts, read 157,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrm View Post
aaaahhhhh...the ignorance I remember; Greenville really does come off as this perfect place to live, but I can guarantee you it is not! And for those of you who are too caught up defending it to actually listen to reality, don't bother replying!

I have lived in 8 different states in the last 8 years. And just to clarify, they have not been all large cities. The states I've lived in: IA, NE, IN, CO, CT, NY, SC, PA. I was born and raised in the midwest. Not much diversity. Nobody had anything good to say about other races, and you'd hear a few under the table bad comments about other races. In Durango, CO, the only real diversity came from the college and the indian reservations. However, culture was embraced in this predominantly white town (was a tourist attraction in the mountains). But Greenville has brought my experience of racism (bad experience) to a whole new level and one of the biggest reasons why: whites always feel like they're right and superior in Greenville. That's it...bottom line. By the way, I'm white. And it literally disgusted me to see how whites treat people of different cultures and races. And for all of you ignorant people who don't want to open your eyes, keep living in fairytale land. It just makes everyone around you, from states that do embrace culture, look down on you and your state.

Sure, I've heard Greenville is pretty gay friendly. So please, don't bring that up. We are talking about people with different cultures and from a different race. And don't bring up that you may live on one street that has diversity, because I know the majority do not. I lived there, I seen it for myself. And just because your neighbors don't use slurs to your face doesn't mean they don't do so behind your back. Why does everyone try so hard to be fake in Greenville? I could see right through most families...they try to paint a picture perfect family with their fake smiles, etc. but you could tell that when the front door closes, those families are completely different. And the sad part is, they live an unhappy life, maybe not evening knowing they are unhappy, because everyone else around them is doing the same thing. I happen to be very happy w/ my life because I like to keep it real and kick it with people who do the same.

Lastly, I was born and raised in the midwest. Traveled to the western region, eastern, southern, and northern. I by far feel like people from the Northeast are the most honest and real people out there in the U.S. Maybe that is why people from the South don't really like people from the Northeast...because people who live in the Northeast are realists! They say how they feel, they act how they want. No, this doesn't automatically mean there is more crime and people live a lower than standard life. It just means you are able to view life with an open mind, instead of walking around with your blinders on.

Sure, Greenville is growing. But primarily with retirees and people receiving transfers from their jobs. You all defend Greenville so much; but tell me, why is NYC known as the "land of opportunity" for so many? I've never heard of Greenville being called anything similiar to that. That is why I would not recommend Greenville, SC as a place to call home. There are other beautiful places to live that have so much more to offer. You like the mountains...try the Pocanos. You love living healthy and outdoor life...try Colorado Springs. You love your diversity and entertainment...definitely find a way to move to NYC. You love feeling superior to others and not promoting equality...try Greenville, SC.
Ahhh- you are my new best friend... love your outlook!!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM

54 posts, read 170,110 times
How is the coffee shop scene? Is there wireless internet down town? Are there nifty cafes to hang out in that are tattoo-unique or sort of untraditional?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:20 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
There is wireless internet in downtown Greenville, although I have not used it yet. Tattoos were illegal here (to create them) until fairly recently. At least that is what I have been told. People have suggested finding an artist in Asheville, NC. I haven't found that "nifty cafe" yet. Anyone?

We HAVE found the "Handlebar." handlebar-online.com - A club that has wonderful live music and hosts the Drinking Liberally meetings on Thursday nights. Drinkingliberally.org

I forgot our landlord mentioned Coffee Underground.

Coffee Underground | Restaurant Review | Greenville, SC | Frommers.com

Coffee Underground / Greenville Overall 10Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogota View Post
How is the coffee shop scene? Is there wireless internet down town? Are there nifty cafes to hang out in that are tattoo-unique or sort of untraditional?

Last edited by Art123; 10-17-2007 at 08:19 AM..

Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportysocrchik98 View Post
I've been silent on the board for quite a while- just monitoring posts, but feel I cannot sit back anymore.
As someone who grew up in this town and left IMMEDIATELY after HS graduation for college elsewhere as well as a career in another state, it is NOT all roses living in Greenville.
I don't think anyone here has suggested that Greenville is perfect. Many of us do, however, feel that it is pretty incredible.

Quote:
I did return to Gvl approximately 2 years ago as a promotion within my company. Before anyone makes any snide remarks, it was between Gvl or a smaller( if even possible) town in the NW.
There are plenty of places smaller than Greenville. Greenville County is the largest in SC in terms of population, and the metro area is significant in size. You don't seem to let details stand in the way, though...

Quote:
At the time, I chose Greenville and have lived to regret it for the entire 2 years of my return.
I'm sorry to hear that. Greenville clearly isn't for everyone.

Quote:
I will say- that in the 15 or so years since I last lived here, the city has grown. The area around the falls has definitely improved for the better as well as parts of downtown (the WestEnd).
That is definitely true. There are also new corporations and industry in Greenville, not to mention plenty of nice developments that will serve residents and visitors for years to come.

Quote:
But, what has been lost in the meantime.
A city that had 3 malls when I was a teenager (yes, 3- McAlister, Greenville, & Haywood)- now only has 1 sad, pathetic excuse of a shopping center- even though Greenridge isn't bad- thank Heavens for WH-BM and Ann Taylor.
Your statement about the malls is misleading. McAlister was a subpar mall to begin with, and Greenville Mall had an unfortunate loss of two major anchors (not because the stores did not do well in Greenville, but because the entire chains closed). Plus, Haywood Mall played a big role in putting the other two out of business. Haywood Mall, I believe, is the largest mall in SC in terms of square footage. It continues to improve, make renovations, and bring in even better and more sought-after retailers on a regular basis. It is a very good regional mall. You are perhaps the only one that considers it to be a "sad, pathetic excuse of a shopping center."

In addition, Greenville Mall has been torn down to make way for Magnolia Park Town Center - which will offer tons of new retail and restaurants not currently in Greenville (many of which are not even in SC yet). Greenridge is like a mall, just a more lifestyle-friendly version. Cherrydale has a lot of retail, and there are several other huge retail projects in the works (developments at I-85/Highway 14, Crescent (near Haywood Mall) and McChesney (near the Point) also come to mind).

Quote:
Woodruff Rd was bad in the 90s- now it's a nightmare. I used to live in both Charlotte and Atlanta during grad school and in the beginning of my career and didn't encounter traffic to this extreme. To clarify the last statement- yes, EVERYONE knows Atlanta has traffic, but at least it moves- and it wasn't constantly bumper to bumper on a major thoroughfare like Cobb Pkwy or Tara Blvd, the way it is on Woodruff Rd.
Woodruff Road definitely has heavy traffic, but I can easily think of a dozen roads in the Atlanta area that are much worse in terms of volume of traffic as well as traffic jams. The city has developed a master plan for Woodruff Road to alleviate the traffic congestion there. It's bad for Greenville, but not bad when compared to the busiest roads in larger cities like Atlanta.

Quote:
You have people who either plaster the FLAG all over their cars or other places in public and expect others not to be offended by it, yet constantly address those who are not like them (i.e. not white) as if they're less than them. Mind you- those who I am referring to generally work in occupations of service and do not possess the education as those they MAY be looking down upon, but think they are better than them.
I almost never see the Confederate flag (I assume that is what you are referring to) in Greenville. Seriously, I never notice the flag on car decals or being flown outside people's homes. I'm not saying that there aren't a few who do, but I have never seen it myself. I hear that the flag is quite prevalent in Columbia, though (check the State House).

Quote:
BJU- ha- that hasn't changed a bit- just brought in more simple-minded people to the area that have no concept of others having freedom of religion, etc.
Since when does BJU represent Greenville? It is a private university. They keep to themselves, and most Greenville residents don't even notice them. The national mediate gives more credence and attention to BJU than locals do.

Quote:
Neighborhoods that are not seperated by economic status- which is logical, but by race still. Go fig!
My parents live in a well-to-do neighborhood with Caucasians, African Americans, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Indians - and that is just on their street. Everyone is friendly and gets along well. Others here will report the same.

Quote:
Greenville may be progressing with the various industries looking to develop here, but with the OLD mindset of the "natives"- we've a long way to go.
If Greenville had the widespread problems you were describing, those industries likely wouldn't be coming to Greenville. Have you thought about that? I don't know what "native mindset" you are referring to, but with the growth rate and improved economy seen in Greenville that attitude can't be very prevalent (if it even exists at all).

Quote:
Oh- I finally must close this out in saying that I am a person of colour with 2 parents that are college-educated. I attended 3 of the best public and private schools in this county(ha!) and didn't have friends who were on welfare or whatever other assumptions and negative comments frequent posters on this board make in reference to those who are not CAUCASIAN.
This part does not even warrant a response. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:25 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Uh...I saw it on a minivan not 5 minutes after arriving in Greenville for the first time last spring. I've lived here less than a week and have seen it more times than I can count. I would question your powers of observation, or perhaps you are so used to it, it just blends into the background now. I mean they are not huge flags in front of houses, but small magnets on cars, stickers on windows, rings of stars around license plates, etc. But coming from somewhere where you almost never see it, it seems like it is everywhere here. My favorite was a confederate flag behind a largemouth bass on the back of an old pickup. I knew I was in the south when I saw that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I almost never see the Confederate flag (I assume that is what you are referring to) in Greenville. Seriously, I never notice the flag on car decals or being flown outside people's homes. I'm not saying that there aren't a few who do, but I have never seen it myself. I hear that the flag is quite prevalent in Columbia, though (check the State House).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area