Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 08:16 AM

47 posts, read 226,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCfromGreenville View Post
sfill and rferd, I work for a company that is headquartered in NYC. They would love for me to move to NJ, NY or Conn and work at one of the major sites up there. But my response is that they are going to have to increase my salary by about 50% to make it worthwhile. They aren't going to force me, but there are some better opportunities closer to the headquarters.
RC,
That sounds like a wonderful opportunity, if they decide to pay you the cost of living difference
NJ is a nice place to live and it is the home of opportunity. Being by NYC is something I have always taken for granted and will miss it when I am gone. Seeing the Empire state building along with the skyline of NYC while driving into work, is something that you can never get sick of seeing.
This is truly a unique area to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 07:17 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Art,

I could be wrong but from reading your posts you're probably still fairly young (under 30) and you may have unfortunately been indoctrinated with a feeling of white guilt.
Nope. Not under 30. No guilt, just progressive enlightenment.

Quote:
I'm going to repost a true story that I posted in the politics forum which I witnessed first hand about 10 years ago. Just please read it and keep an open mind.Thanks:

Tank,
In the mid 90's I drove a taxi in Atlantic City for 2 1/2 years. I was 1 of 25 white, english speaking cabbies amongst 500 or so. A true minority, if you will. The majority of my co-workers were Indian, Pakistani, Haitian, Nigerian, etc. Since I worked an average of 12 hour shifts these people also became my close friends.

One evening at the Taj Mahal cab stand a stereotypical thuggish hip hop looking black guy came up to me and asked if I would take him, "back maryland" referring to Maryland Ave. a very sketchy area of AC known for gangs and drugs. I informed him that we work in a processional and that since I wasn't the next cab out I would be stealing a fare and directed him to the first cab in line.

This cab was operated by my friend Michel' from Haiti. Since I was only 4 or 5 cabs back I was privy to the conversation that unfolded. The thug dude walked up to Michel' and repeated the same request to Michel' that he did to me. He then proceeded to ask for a discount. Michel' was highly offended by that request and said, "discount, what do you mean?" The other guy replied, "Yo man, why you gotta do me like that? We brothers". To which Michel' replied, rather loudly, "brothers? We're brothers? Why are we brothers, because we're both black? Look at me (pinching his arm) I'm black like midnight and I work 60 hours a week to take care of my family. You're born and raised in America, America and you don't even have a job. I'm not your brother". The dude walked away muttering under his breath, "man forget you".

Two "black" men. One born and raised in America with all of the opportunities and advantages that it affords. The other, from a 3rd world country, darker than oil, unable to speak the native tongue until he learned yet worked like crazy to provide a better life for his family.

By the way, many if not most black immigrants from the carribbean and africa have a lot of contempt for african americans (and actually hate that term). They just shake their collective heads in disbelief that so many black americans have bought into the victim mentality. Even the poorest people in America have a tv and microwave meanwhile they're literally eating where they're pooping.

Art,
I hope that you saw the point that I was trying to make.
The point you are trying to make? That not all black people are the same? Quite the epiphany there....

Quote:
In all honesty, I don't believe in racism, because I don't believe in races. I believe in the human race.
After reading the rest of your post, can you really expect people to believe you don't believe in races? What does that mean?

Quote:
I'm just hoping that you'll see that "racism" isn't what you're elitist college professors told you it was. Did you know that almost all of the slaves that came to America were sold by black Africans? Or that many slaves once they received their papers declaring them free turned around and purchased slaves themselves? Bottom line, blame whitey is not only old and tiresome it's factually incorrect.
Wow. Thanks for the history lesson. Silly Negroes buying and selling each other. Whitey is alrighty!!!

Old 08-25-2007, 07:06 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
Thanks for the nice response, I'm feelin' a real "connection" between the two of us.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:25 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
Yes. A real sense of warmth and love. Kindred spirits, perhaps - just from entirely different places.

XOXOXOXOXO

-Art

Old 08-29-2007, 02:36 PM

65 posts, read 182,366 times
Default We plan on moving there

We have been to Greenville and fell in love with the town. We are trying to sell our house to move there.
Good Luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALOVE View Post
I'm trying to figure out how my question prompted so much sarcasm, or maybe that's your attempt at humor, Tony 123 and RestedTraveler. My question is very sincere. I asked the question because so many of us are trying to find that perfect place and I don't think such a place exists. You can only tell so much about a place when you're researching it on line, and on line Greenville seems too good to be true...

I'm looking forward to my first trip out there hopefully by the end of the year and I do appreciate the honest feedback of other posters.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:48 PM

39 posts, read 179,576 times
Smile living in Greenville

This is the truth. I have NEVER EVER heard anyone that lived in Greenville say anything but I LOVE IT. I lived there just 4 years and I hated leaving and would go back right now if I could.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mof29212 View Post
This is the truth. I have NEVER EVER heard anyone that lived in Greenville say anything but I LOVE IT. I lived there just 4 years and I hated leaving and would go back right now if I could.
Aw, reading your post breaks my heart. It would be my exact sentiment if I had to leave as well.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,835 times
We moved from the Northeast last 1 year ago. We moved with 8 kids! We lived in the Massachusetts our whole lives. We love Greenville. It is a great place to raise our family. There are always inexpensive things for our kids to do; free concerts, etc. The weather is fabulous, the people friendly. The folks around here actually look up and speak to you! I have heard people moving to this area complain about the education. I can say that if you are an involved parent and make sure your kids are taking the higher level offered courses in the schools, the brass ring is there to grab! It is what you make of it! On the negative side, the state government is about 20 years behind Massachusetts in many ways. That can be negative in many ways. You could not pay us to move back to 12 below zero weather, $5,000 a winter in oil heat charges and 10 minutes of summer. However, GO REDSOX! Thanks Greenville for welcoming us!

Old 09-17-2007, 01:34 PM

254 posts, read 1,142,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofeightcherubs View Post
... On the negative side, the state government is about 20 years behind Massachusetts in many ways.

And may we bow our heads and THANK GOD for that. MA state govt is a pitiful mess and you would want to repeat that in SC???

This is not to say SC state doesnt have some things to clean up but your comment is WAY too general. You could have quite a problem on your hands depending on what you mean. If you were more specific we may be able to debate it a little better.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:35 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagenyjoe View Post
And may we bow our heads and THANK GOD for that. MA state govt is a pitiful mess and you would want to repeat that in SC???

This is not to say SC state doesnt have some things to clean up but your comment is WAY too general. You could have quite a problem on your hands depending on what you mean. If you were more specific we may be able to debate it a little better.
I would like more clarification on that comment as well. Massachusetts has done some good things on the state government level, but they are also called "Taxachusetts" for a reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area