Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 10:49 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
I live almost to cape cod so we don't get the foliage that north of Boston or the Birkshire's gets. I am sure I would like MA better if I lived closer to Boston but then the cost of living is even more. My other worry about Greenville is not seeing the ocean everyday as I do now.
Not sure where you live, but parts of the Cape are very pretty. I used to suffer through the CCC (Cape Cod Crawl) traffic sometimes to go to Hyannis or as far as Provincetown. So, yes, not having the ocean close by is a concern for me as well. It's not that I walk to the beach everyday, but I know it's just down the road. There have been so many reports about bacteria in the water and that smelly red tide (natural or not) burns my eyes and sinuses, so the beach isn't as much fun as it used to be. I'm sure there are great sunsets everywhere, but we certainly do have some gorgeous ones here. Having said that, I didn't have a beach very close to me when I lived in New England, so I would probably adapt.

I'm sorry that you don't like to go out when the weather is cool. Have you tried buying some sweaters and gloves? I really didn't mind the cold weather as much as the gloom or when it was very windy. In fact, I loved snow before I got injured in an accident in the 80s, and I looked forward to skiing on the weekends in NH or VT. If you want to feel cold air, take a chair lift in Feb to the top of Wildcat! (beautiful area however)

I am mainly concerned about Greenville because I haven't experienced cold temperatures winter for many years, except for a rare night in South FL when there's a freeze and it drops into the low 30s, but the sun always warms up the temperature during the day. I hope you are able to adjust. If you don't go outside, you won't get used to it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 12:21 PM

548 posts, read 1,979,685 times
Quote:
I am worried that Greenville will not be warm enough for me in the winter either. I have asked the question how long is winter and no real answer other than it's tolerable. It's 42 degrees today and my house just won't get warm. I stayed in bed till 10:30 only because I'm freezing not because I'm tired. I am moving my business to my home only so I won't have to go outside as often and I am hiring another person to do some of my outside business work so I can avoid more of our cold weather which means less money for me.

I live almost to cape cod so we don't get the foliage that north of Boston or the Birkshire's gets. I am sure I would like MA better if I lived closer to Boston but then the cost of living is even more. My other worry about Greenville is not seeing the ocean everyday as I do now. I wish Greenville was on the coast. I looked into Charleston but there was too much traffic for me. Greenville might have too much too. Also it is already dark here by 6pm and we haven't even switched the clocks yet! I spoke to my friend in GA at 6pm and it's still sunny there.

So hard to decide because you know there is no perfect spot. I have a 12 yo that I don't want to keep up rooting as well.
I don't know whereabouts in Mass you are from (near the Cape perhaps Plymouth area?) but I moved down in 91 from the South Shore area (128) and even today traffic isn't that bad. Sure, Woodruff is a pita, but it's avoidable and it still doesn't compare to some of Boston traffic.

I too miss the ocean but I have a friend in Summerville who we visit at least once a month so I get my ocean fix ;-)

Since you have a friend in GA, maybe you'd be more comfortable living near her/him (or is it Atlanta and in which case given your fear of traffic Greenville is a better option)

BTW YEAH SOX!

Old 10-29-2007, 12:25 PM

548 posts, read 1,979,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportysocrchik98 View Post
Funny- never thought of Columbia as bad... Like CarolinaSouth stated previously, it wasn't the city that decided to keep the flag up for so long- but the STATE... Hence the view of SC as a whole (not Columbia) as being backwards and living in the past...

Greenville- while supposedly progressive with the technological developments occuring here- is quite backwards in its attitude...

Only in Greenville, can a school like BJU influence attitudes so negatively that the county passes referendums that lead to the torch not being allowed to run through in '96... I mean, really- was it that neccessary to do... Jeez!
Had to go back to school that fall in GA after the Olympics embarassed to admit I was from the infamous town that had the torch driven through on a VAN.

Just food for thought

A lot has changed in Greenville since 96. I doubt such a referendum would have passed today.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:33 PM

830 posts, read 1,063,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
I don't know whereabouts in Mass you are from (near the Cape perhaps Plymouth area?) but I moved down in 91 from the South Shore area (128) and even today traffic isn't that bad. Sure, Woodruff is a pita, but it's avoidable and it still doesn't compare to some of Boston traffic.

I too miss the ocean but I have a friend in Summerville who we visit at least once a month so I get my ocean fix ;-)

Since you have a friend in GA, maybe you'd be more comfortable living near her/him (or is it Atlanta and in which case given your fear of traffic Greenville is a better option)

BTW YEAH SOX!
Not too far from Plymouth ...... Mattapoisett, MA. My friend moved to the middle of GA. and there is NOTHING there. Not sure what she likes about being there but it's not for me. I work my tail off so much here that I didn't even get to the beach this summer but I do get to see and smell it.

I have stopped looking for the perfect place and now I am just looking for a stepping stone out of MA or at least an escape from the winters. Thanks for everyone's responses!!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 05:58 PM

51 posts, read 170,166 times
Quote:
Not too far from Plymouth ...... Mattapoisett, MA. My friend moved to the middle of GA. and there is NOTHING there. Not sure what she likes about being there but it's not for me. I work my tail off so much here that I didn't even get to the beach this summer but I do get to see and smell it.

I have stopped looking for the perfect place and now I am just looking for a stepping stone out of MA or at least an escape from the winters. Thanks for everyone's responses!!!!
Hi Frozen! Boy, can I relate. From California originally, but mom from here, so been here off an on for various years at a time. Been trying to successfully escape, but always end up back here somehow! I'm not too far from you (Kingston). I get the impression you too are a transplant to MA. Somehow, I've grown more or less tolerant of the cold. It's the gray, dark span after the clocks turn back to about May. And some of the most recent Winters burried with storm after storm (last Winter being a picnic in comparison), just plain depressing. I hate driving in the snow!! Then, you have the cost of having the "privilege" of all this? INSANE! We visited Greenville in August. Just love it! Having lived on all three coasts I too was a bit concerned about the distance from the ocean, but it's not like living in Kansas. Easy enough to get an ocean "fix" any weekend with little effort. Things are a bit up in the air at this point, but Greenville is the ultimate in choice when the time comes

Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 PM

39 posts, read 156,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree to a point, but I grew up in MA and also remember gorgeous autumn days and blankets of snow. When I got my first car I'd drive to the White Mountains in NH just to watch a sunset. New England is lovely - cold, yes, but lovely. So I wouldn't put down MA so quickly.
Spent time in New England about a month ago... Drove back and forth between Hartford, Providence, Worcester (MA) visiting suppliers- I will say that it was one of the most scenic drives I've had a while... The colours on the trees along the MA TPKE and other roads were sooo beautiful...
Not sure how long it lasts, but I was in total awe of the beauty...

The weather here- it's tolerable (wouldn't have said that a month or so ago - that heat)... Not much snow- if any- total days of snow each year- maybe 10- probably below that in recent years...
We generally get an ice storm each Dec, but otherwise- it's not bad...

Old 10-29-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkwat View Post
Hi Frozen! Boy, can I relate. From California originally, but mom from here, so been here off an on for various years at a time. Been trying to successfully escape, but always end up back here somehow! I'm not too far from you (Kingston). I get the impression you too are a transplant to MA. Somehow, I've grown more or less tolerant of the cold. It's the gray, dark span after the clocks turn back to about May. And some of the most recent Winters burried with storm after storm (last Winter being a picnic in comparison), just plain depressing. I hate driving in the snow!! Then, you have the cost of having the "privilege" of all this? INSANE! We visited Greenville in August. Just love it! Having lived on all three coasts I too was a bit concerned about the distance from the ocean, but it's not like living in Kansas. Easy enough to get an ocean "fix" any weekend with little effort. Things are a bit up in the air at this point, but Greenville is the ultimate in choice when the time comes
No, I've been in this god for sakin' cold climate since birth. I didn't even like the snow/cold when I was a kid. Turning 50 and never having lived anywhere else is making me crazy! Time to move before I'm too old! Trouble is I make a decent living here finally. I publish an Auto Magazine and I am wondering if living between Greenville and Spartenburg might be a good spot for my magazines. I also have a community paper and a restaurant guide. Is there a need for free publications in that area or are they already swamped? Being a single Mom with a 12 yo and no other support .... I have to be able to make a good living. If I sell my houses here ... from the looks of the housing there, I could be mortgage free. Not a bad way to start there but I have two houses here and I've had one for sale with zero luck selling it never mind selling two!

It would be nice to live near a city that has something to offer as Greenvile. The closest city to me is New Bedford and New Bedford went from the richest city in the US to now the worst and poorest with no change in sight!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post

BTW YEAH SOX!
Oh ya, WAY TO GO RED SOX!!!!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:11 PM

8 posts, read 19,377 times
Default In reply to Tony123

If people do not practice their freedoms whether speech or religion, it might be taken away by those that do not value it or think anyone cares for it. Sorry your offended by evangelism by others, they don't want to offend you its just the purpose of those whose religion says to spread the word (Mormon, jewish, johovah's witness, etc.). We're just excited! LOL Greenville's beautiful, and the people are great. No place I lived is perfect, but I think I found the right fit for me. Good luck from a native westerner!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Greeville weather

I'll be watching Greenville's weather VERY closely all winter. No matter how wonderful Greenville is ..... if it's too cold, I can't go there. I have my weather and your weather up on my computer and I can tell your days are warmer but right now my temperature is 43 (Massachusetts) and Greenville 46 at 11:PM. The coyotes are crying outside my window. Are they a problem in Greenville as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area