Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:52 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

I guess there is one in every family. At my husbands funeral I ordered a casket spray that said beloved husband and a casket pillow that said beloved grandfather.
In his obit I had requested in lieu of flowers to make donations in his name to St Judes Childrens hospital, as we both thought flowers especially when one is being cremated are a waste.

Well I've been told one son took exception and wanted to know where flowers that said beloved father were.

I don't think it was my responsibility to order and pay for flowers from adult kids all with good paying jobs.

As it was this one son never opened his wallet for anything, meaning several dinners we went out to as a family it was always me or one of the other kids paying. He offered once and out came the calculator, so I grabbed it as he and his wife really nickel and dime, something that used to drive my husband nuts. They are not broke or struggling either.

Taking it from the source, not really upset just venting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 02:08 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Completely confused as to what you're trying to say here.

I do commend you on the "in lieu of..".. For a couple of reasons.. First being that I think flowers are a total waste at any funeral and second.. SOMEONE is going to do flowers, regardless of what you say.

I will say, if you do get an abundance of flowers, always consider taking them to a local nursing home or similar, as that seems to be a very big hit with the residents.

But.. Did the son give money for flowers and want to know where they were? If that's the case.. that's something of a tough situation.. He sent money specifically for flowers.. Probably would have been best to say "We're not doing flowers, I can send this to St Jude in his name or send it back".. But.. I'm not sure that's what you're saying.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:45 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I don't think it was my responsibility to order and pay for flowers from adult kids all with good paying jobs.
As a mother of adult sons--if my spouse would pass away, I would have a casket spray that said beloved husband, father and grandfather.
I do think it is your responsibility to include the entire family.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:07 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Your son might be cheap, etc.

What I did find odd about your post is that you took responsibility to order flowers from the grandchildren but not the children. I assume those grandchildren belong to the adult kids with good jobs.

I also find it unusual that you and your children did not discuss flowers. Whenever there is a funeral in my family we discuss the "flowers." Two examples: when my nephew passed my siblings and I talked about flowers from aunts/uncles and from the cousins. I'm sure we informed my parents about this so they didn't worry. We didn't tell the my nephew's parents as it was not their responsibility to worry about it. They had enough going on (to put it mildly). Recently an uncle passed away. Again, we all communicated with each other about flowers. We also let my parents know so they knew we had this covered. (again--not their job).

Is it possible that you did actually have a conversation about flowers with this son and he assumed when you said you ordered flowers you included one from the "children." We tend to forget things following a death, even if expected.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:21 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

I think you are using the money as an excuse. I just don't get you. We are burying my Mother this week--I just naturally ordered flowers that included all of our names. We are a family--even though my sons are adults with good paying jobs. Never even thought for a second about who is going to pay for the flowers or if I should include their names.

Sorry--it is not about the money--something else is going on in your family to leave them out like that. You knew what you were doing... You can either choose to be part of a solution or part of a problem. You picked "problem" at a really horrible time.

That was tacky--funerals are not the time to do this kind of thing.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:48 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Wish you would have said if the son sent flowers.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:10 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I would have a casket spray that said beloved husband, father and grandfather.
Agree, it seems a little odd to have skipped over the 'father' if husband and grandfather were included. It would make me wonder if there was some sort of an issue.
Did your son make a contribution to St Jude on the assumption that the flowers that were ordered would be representative of the entire family? Even if he didn't I still find leaving out the children to be odd and I understand his being upset.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I guess there is one in every family. At my husbands funeral I ordered a casket spray that said beloved husband and a casket pillow that said beloved grandfather.
In his obit I had requested in lieu of flowers to make donations in his name to St Judes Childrens hospital, as we both thought flowers especially when one is being cremated are a waste.

Well I've been told one son took exception and wanted to know where flowers that said beloved father were.

As it was this one son never opened his wallet for anything, meaning several dinners we went out to as a family it was always me or one of the other kids paying. He offered once and out came the calculator, so I grabbed it as he and his wife really nickel and dime, something that used to drive my husband nuts. They are not broke or struggling either.

Taking it from the source, not really upset just venting.
Funerals are emotional occasions for everybody. Don't put too much store in what you heard NJKate. It was not your responsibility to order flowers from the children, OR the grandchildren. But doing one doesn't obligate you to do the other. Just tell your son his father would be thrilled to know he donated to the charity of choice.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
As a mother of adult sons--if my spouse would pass away, I would have a casket spray that said beloved husband, father and grandfather.
I do think it is your responsibility to include the entire family.
Wow, really?

My dad passed away recently. It never occurred to me that my mother would pay for flowers from the three adult kids. I mean, we're all ADULTS - in our forties and fifties. With decent incomes and abilities. Why on earth should our mother pay for flowers from the adult kids?

I'm just flabbergasted really.

That being said, we all met together to plan the flowers and no one was left out. Each adult child bought a nice big spray of flowers. I think each of them had a big banner or ribbon that said "Dad."

These were donated to a family who couldn't afford flowers for their loved one after the funeral.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:22 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,819 times

I totally get you OP-when my father died the kids (my siblings and I) sent our own flowers- some of us went in together on a couple arrangements as well. After the service they were sent to my moms home. I would never in a million years expect my mother to order and pay for flowers from her adult children and for the life of me don't understand why so many people here think you are in the wrong for not doing it. When your son asked where they were I simply would have asked "what did you order?" As for the same son- pulling out the calculator- like you said- there's one in every family.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning