Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 04:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times

Advertisements

Cleopatra was Greek. Jesus was a semitic Jew. Neither was black. Blacks need to get over their insecurities and stop trying to identify with those people. If you want to brag about ancestors what's wrong with the Queen of Sheba? There is some evidence that she had a son by King Solomon, the wisest, wealthiest and most powerful man in the world in his time.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:12 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times
Cleopatra was Macedonian with a smattering of Persian.

She was also an incredible leader who restored and expanded her kingdom to greatness it had not seen in generations before the Romans destroyed her.

Though it did not deserve the Pulitzer it won, I recommend Stacy Schiff's book highly.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:25 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Mmmm. A few things they got wrong. One, mass slavery in Africa was not started by Europeans, but by Arabs. It doesn't excuse Europeans, but we can't have amnesia to the other slave trade routes. Christianity and Islam were imposed. Although Christianity had already been in Africa before Europeans. Egypt was no more a White nation than it was a Black nation. It was an African nation. And Cleopatra was basically Greek. The rest I agree with. Jim Crow and Apartheid would be to other big ones.
I believe slavery goes back even further then the Europeans or the Arabs. Much further then probably Egypt, probably to the very dawn of Civilization and agriculture.

Here in the Americas for instance, the Indians already had slavery before Columbus made his discovery.

I really don't really know what Cleopatra looked like as literally it depended on her own parents.

As for and the Egyptian people, I think it is most likely that they were similar to the way they are now. In order for them to be black, we would have to believe a huge population like ancient Egypt just disappeared from the face of the Earth. That I do not believe.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,322,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I believe slavery goes back even further then the Europeans or the Arabs. Much further then probably Egypt, probably to the very dawn of Civilization and agriculture.

Here in the Americas for instance, the Indians already had slavery before Columbus made his discovery.

I really don't really know what Cleopatra looked like as literally it depended on her own parents.

As for and the Egyptian people, I think it is most likely that they were similar to the way they are now. In order for them to be black, we would have to believe a huge population like ancient Egypt just disappeared from the face of the Earth. That I do not believe.
Slavery existed in EVERY civilization and group of people.

Slavery is often termed "the peculiar institution." Almost every society in the history of the world has experienced slavery at one time or another. The aborigines of Australia are about the only group that has so far not revealed a past mired in slavery -- and perhaps the omission has more to do with the paucity of the evidence than anything else.

Historians, anthropologists, and archaeologists are looking for more evidence of slavery among the aborigines though however.

Slavery existed everywhere amongst humanity since ancient times and since the rise of humanity.

Slavery has been a global institution since mankind began.

Cleopatra was basically Greek/Grecian.

And Egypt was a mixed nation. However among and within the people known as Egyptians there were dark skinned black peoples within and among them. Egypt was mixed though. It was no more a white nation than it was a black nation.

As for continuity of the ancient Egyptian civilization, genetic studies have consistently shown and factually confirmed and proven that modern day Egyptians are the descendants of the original ancient Egyptians albeit give or take any degrees of outside admixtures.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:27 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,322,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Does it matter? The woman was African, specifically Egyptian. The history of her life is African history and thus, world history.

All of this black/white categorization is a recent invention.
Actually, Cleopatra was basically Greek/Grecian.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 PM

244 posts, read 362,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Cleopatra was Greek. Jesus was a semitic Jew. Neither was black. Blacks need to get over their insecurities and stop trying to identify with those people. If you want to brag about ancestors what's wrong with the Queen of Sheba? There is some evidence that she had a son by King Solomon, the wisest, wealthiest and most powerful man in the world in his time.
Well, that isn't all that special. King Solomon had many wives. That is assuming we're talking about the guy referenced in the bible.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,888 times
Well, we all come from Africa. I think Cleopatra VII was, indeed, of African descent.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Well, we all come from Africa. I think Cleopatra VII was, indeed, of African descent.
Yes, she was "African" in that she was borne in African. Her bloodlines were Macedonian with a smattering of Persian. It doesn't matter how many of you state that she was "African" or how many times. She was still Greek by culture, Phenotype and DNA.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 PM

244 posts, read 362,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Yes, she was "African" in that she was borne in African. Her bloodlines were Macedonian with a smattering of Persian. It doesn't matter how many of you state that she was "African" or how many times. She was still Greek by culture, Phenotype and DNA.
Erm..am I not American because my parents are immigrants even though I was born in NYC? She is African regardless of her ethnicity.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent by design View Post
Erm..am I not American because my parents are immigrants even though I was born in NYC? She is African regardless of her ethnicity.
Yes, and if you mean it in that sense, then fine.

The problem is, that Afrocentrists like to play word games, suing "black," "African," "Egyptian," "Moor," etc. interchangeably.

Cleopatra was pharaoh in an Egypt in which a consciously and aggressively Greek ruling dynasty kept separated from the Egyptian people. This is not an opinion or even a mere observation- this is the literal truth, as there was a policy of segregation by which Greeks and Egyptians were subject to different laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History